The $380 question...

I was leaning towards dropping the CR-1 and going purely with the K-3, but GUZ/DHL may have changed that decision for me...

I believe our K-3 was in the the hold-up at DHL until yesterday, and has now been received by GUZ (Although it is still not in their System as Received, all packets sent within 4 days of when I was told ours was sent have all been signed for now).

Anyway, all the while our CR-1 has been rolling along nicely at NVC with the I-864 & DS-3032 done and I am now holding the IV App Fee Bill which I just got in the mail @ $380 ;)

So... do I go for it and hope it gets there in time to change the K-3 Interview to a CR-1? Three weeks ago I would have said no... but since the K-3 took 7 weeks from NVC to GUZ, there is still a chance we could make do it.

Opinions/experiences, anyone? :) Thanks!!

We were K-1 but I'll take a shot at it and others will follow. Since your K-3 has been delivered It stands to reason that it will most likely beat the CR-1 but it sounds like the CR-1 is not far behind. If quicker processing time is your main consideration I would say you're best off with the K-3. If the money is not a huge factor I would recomend you do both. That way if it's a tie or CR-1 is very close you will have less hassle later.

I was leaning towards dropping the CR-1 and going purely with the K-3, but GUZ/DHL may have changed that decision for me...

I believe our K-3 was in the the hold-up at DHL until yesterday, and has now been received by GUZ (Although it is still not in their System as Received, all packets sent within 4 days of when I was told ours was sent have all been signed for now).

Anyway, all the while our CR-1 has been rolling along nicely at NVC with the I-864 & DS-3032 done and I am now holding the IV App Fee Bill which I just got in the mail @ $380 ;)

So... do I go for it and hope it gets there in time to change the K-3 Interview to a CR-1? Three weeks ago I would have said no... but since the K-3 took 7 weeks from NVC to GUZ, there is still a chance we could make do it.

Opinions/experiences, anyone? :) Thanks!!

Our CR-1 caught up to our K-3 so by the time my wife went to the interview she received her CR-1. I feel very fortunate; everything has gone so smooth for us since she arrived. Now all we need to do is file for the Change of Conditions in less than a year.

Opinions/experiences, anyone? ;) Thanks!!

Our CR-1 caught up to our K-3 so by the time my wife went to the interview she received her CR-1. I feel very fortunate; everything has gone so smooth for us since she arrived. Now all we need to do is file for the Change of Conditions in less than a year.

Yes, and that is what I was hoping would happen to us!! :D To Carl's point; speed is the most important thing, but I think Zhen would be much happier arriving as a CR-1 rather than a K-3 if it can be done just as quickly. I'm no millionaire and trips to China aren't cheap, but I would really like it to be a CR-1 Interview if at all possible - so the $380 is doable, if not desirable! She says it does not matter as long as we are together, but I know that there are many advantages to the CR-1 in terms of ease. Plus she wants to work the second she gets here, and drive, etc.... :)

Thanks for the opinions

CR1/CR2 have a heavy tax of a longer wait and they have lower priority than a 'K' class visa per USCONGUZ. But there sure are advantages to that wait such as not have to mess around with AOS etc...

Yes, this is certainly true! But am I right in thinking that if you are lucky enough and the CR-1 gets to GUZ before the K-3 Interview occurs, they can and will change the Interview type to CR-1 without changing the original K-3 Interview date? So, we would have skipped some of the longer wait times for the CR-1 because it is riding the K-3's wave?

CR1/CR2 have a heavy tax of a longer wait and they have lower priority than a 'K' class visa per USCONGUZ. But there sure are advantages to that wait such as not have to mess around with AOS etc...

Yes, this is certainly true! But am I right in thinking that if you are lucky enough and the CR-1 gets to GUZ before the K-3 Interview occurs, they can and will change the Interview type to CR-1 without changing the original K-3 Interview date? So, we would have skipped some of the longer wait times for the CR-1 because it is riding the K-3's wave?

Yes, it's a "first one there wins" situation; if both are in the GUZ system I think they'll go with the CR1 as that is the most beneficial for you.

You might want to review my timeline. I paid the fees for the I864 etc... in late November, 2005 and we didn't interview until late August, 2006. Now, I did not have a K3 in the mix either. I do wish we'd gone with a K3/K4 simply to have gotten them here sooner. I don't believe that this system is smart enough to know that you have both so that one can be pulling another through.

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)

I won't give you any advice because the system is so dynamic, but I will say something about my experience.

I filed the I-130 and then the I-129F. After a long delay, the I-129F was acknowledged at the consulate. A short time later the I-130 was approved and sent to the NVC where I got and paid the I-864 fee and then I got and paid the the DS-230 fee before I realized that I didn't have to pay those fees and just wait for the K3.

So that's what I did. The P3 came fairly quick as well as the P4 and subsequent interview.

So, in my case, I lost $65 and $335 on the I-864 and the DS-230 respectively. The USCIS helpline said just mail in the receipts for a refund, so that's what I did. Three years later, I'm still waiting for my refund!

The process and times are ever changing it seems. You have to decide on what course you want to take. There's already alot of good advice here to choose from.

-good luck

I'm going to encourage you to wait out the CR1 for the reasons your wife would.... let her hit the US ground and ready to work.

I think you can do this while still keeping the K3 actively pursued but at a slower pace if needed to see if the CR1 rides the wave. Realize, the CR1 does not need a name check if the K3 one gets complete... so you'll gain alot of time on that. Your K3 slot puts you ahead of CR1 slots anyway, so once at GUZ, they keep the same K3 slot and put the CR1 case at interview.

Here is what I'd do in your shoes:

- Let the CR1 get to GUZ and get updates on the K3... if you fall into a name check delay on K3, the CR1s going to most likely catch up anyway.

- If you get the K3 P3, I'd hold off returning it till I knew something about the name check status... then decide on the timing of returning it. Since if you return it too quickly for the CR1 to get there, you could lose the CR1.

As for everything.. one step at a time...

I'm going to encourage you to wait out the CR1 for the reasons your wife would.... let her hit the US ground and ready to work.

I think you can do this while still keeping the K3 actively pursued but at a slower pace if needed to see if the CR1 rides the wave. Realize, the CR1 does not need a name check if the K3 one gets complete... so you'll gain alot of time on that. Your K3 slot puts you ahead of CR1 slots anyway, so once at GUZ, they keep the same K3 slot and put the CR1 case at interview.

- Let the CR1 get to GUZ and get updates on the K3... if you fall into a name check delay on K3, the CR1s going to most likely catch up anyway.

- If you get the K3 P3, I'd hold off returning it till I knew something about the name check status... then decide on the timing of returning it. Since if you return it too quickly for the CR1 to get there, you could lose the CR1.

Thanks so much, David! This is what I wanted to do, but was not sure if it was possible or exactly how to 'direct' it towards that end. I went ahead and sent off the IV Fee Bill yesterday anyway... 380 is really not much compared to my wife's happiness and ease of adjustment!!

OK, just so I understand... once I get the K-3 P3, I should check on the status of the K-3 Name Check and if it is done, then that is a good time to send in the P3. If it's not done yet, it may make more sense to wait a bit if the CR-1 has not arrived yet, right?

Yep - one step at a time... B) Thanks!!

Thanks so much, David! This is what I wanted to do, but was not sure if it was possible or exactly how to 'direct' it towards that end. I went ahead and sent off the IV Fee Bill yesterday anyway... 380 is really not much compared to my wife's happiness and ease of adjustment!!

OK, just so I understand... once I get the K-3 P3, I should check on the status of the K-3 Name Check and if it is done, then that is a good time to send in the P3. If it's not done yet, it may make more sense to wait a bit if the CR-1 has not arrived yet, right?

Yep - one step at a time... :huh: Thanks!!

In terms of progress of the K3 two issues remain, one which you have no control over and once in a while falls into long delays (name check) and one which you control (return of the P3; as long as you hold off, GUZ holds off as well). not that one strings this along another 6 months more than normal interview time, as I know this is not your desire...

But I think the key issue of the two is getting a status of the name check. Since the K3 name check is initiated at NVC prior to the physical case arriving in GUZ, there's a change it's done by the time their enter the case... and then it depends on any GUZ specific checks.

So when you check on the status, ask if the name check is started , completed ?

Once you send in the P3, the average range for P4 is 1-3 months; (Few get it in a month, most inbetween 2-3 mark); Then add another 40 days to interview.

You also want to keep an eye on the CR1 case... I would say the range of NVC to entered in GUZ should be an expectation of 30-60 days. So all you want is to see the CR1 get into the computer by the time of any scheduled interview. So your now also waiting on the notice of the case being sent to GUZ to start that clock.

If we accept a K3 of 3-4 months for P3-IV, and the CR1 of 3 months for NVC-Entered in Computer 2-3 months... then one could send the P3 once they say the CR1 leave for GUZ.

I'm not sure I personally would feel completely comfortable with that since is just a stat appraoch and as Ty points out, things change quickly... (but this gives you one way to setup a timeline between the two of them and monitor each one).

Try to get an update on the namecheck (assumes they enter the info in the computer).. your awating a P3 anyway; See what the namecheck status and CR1 is doing by the time you get the P3...