Applicants above 16 years old have to undergo namecheck clearance, before visa interview. GUZ fills up a requisition form for namecheck clearance and FBI do the check. It's routine.

Background check? I don't know how to specify.

yeah I'm with you on the same page, DOS keeps telling me the name checks are done, that I need to contact GUZ. and when I do contact GUZ, they tell me it's " under processing for name check clearance" (their exact words). I'm gonna assume it'll take a while before they get us an interview date.

What is the difference between" the processing for background check" and the processing for name check clearence" Are the they the same meaning?

Name checks are done at all stages of the process, Service Center, NVC, and Consulate.
At Consular stage, there are three (3) Visa Security name checks done: CONDOR, MANTIS AND MORE ANOTHER NCIC (via CLASS)

[Consulate has option, if warranted, to run full gamut of checks, such as CCD (past visa applications & results), TIPOFF (DOS Bureau of Intelligence), NAILS (Nat'l Automated Immigration Lookout System), TECS II (Treasury Dept. database), TSC & TTIC (DOS Terrorist screening)].

CONDOR refers to a check done mostly of information supplied on Form DS-157, and focuses on visa applicants with a potential terrorist, firearms or weapons background. CONDOR in most cases should be completed in 90 days or less. If not, contact the VO Public Inquiry line at Tel: 202-663-1225 or usvisa@state.gov

MANTIS refers to when potentially sensitive technologies might be used by the visa applicant in her visit to the U.S. If the visa applicant might employ a "critical-fields" technology in the U.S. which could have a "dual-use" such military or national security application, this check will be done to screen out a high-risk applicant. Most MANTIS checks can be done in 30 days. If not, contact the SAO Problem Resolution Unit at saoinquiries@state.gov.

NCIC (via CLASS) refers to the name check procedure done by the Consulate with the NCIC criminal database at FBI. This procedure screens visa applicants by name to see if there is a "hit" with the criminal database: that is, a person in the criminal database has the same or very similar name to the visa applicant.

http://www.usaimmigrationattorney.com/Secu...tiveReview.html

I called DOS last night and was told my name check is done, but today i got email from GZ consulate and said my case is now under processing for name check clearence. Now I am totally confused that my name check is done or not?

It hard to know if one department is not in sync with the other...

I would ask the DOS person to clarify what mesage you get from GUZ.

I tend to think it is simply a delay in status... ask the DOS personnel if you are eligible for an interview at this point.

Paula you should contact GUZ asap. I just got a reply to my email from GUZ telling me that our name check clearance is (finally!) done, and the case is now under processing for an interview scheduling. Good luck!

I'm thinking that the 'name check clearance' is a set of adminstrative steps, for which the name check is one specific part... once that returns (it may be in the computer for DOS to see it's complete) but does not mean that GUZ is closed out the ledger on it.

They probably get the case prepared for the next step which is an interview slot; they must make sure it is 'documentarily qualified' prior setting an interview (P3 info is completely received, name check done, etc).

Paula you should contact GUZ asap. I just got a reply to my email from GUZ telling me that our name check clearance is (finally!) done, and the case is now under processing for an interview scheduling. Good luck!

I'm thinking that the 'name check clearance' is a set of adminstrative steps, for which the name check is one specific part... once that returns (it may be in the computer for DOS to see it's complete) but does not mean that GUZ is closed out the ledger on it.

They probably get the case prepared for the next step which is an interview slot; they must make sure it is 'documentarily qualified' prior setting an interview (P3 info is completely received, name check done, etc).

David you missed something here, Paula has supplied overcome based on CCP membership and this could be an extremely positive sign because I am sure the original name check that was done probably expired.

The only reason I can think that they would be doing a name check at this time is that they have ruled on the overcome and this is the final step for the visa approval.

We can only hope.

David you missed something here, Paula has supplied overcome based on CCP membership and this could be an extremely positive sign because I am sure the original name check that was done probably expired.

The only reason I can think that they would be doing a name check at this time is that they have ruled on the overcome and this is the final step for the visa approval.

We can only hope.

yes.. but just replaces P3 & P4 with whatever the next step is and the basic idea still works.. clearance as steps preparing for the next step which included a name check...

We can only hope.

Yes, I had my interview in June. Because of communist crap, consulate told me they must run a routine security name check, which usually takes 2 months. Right now four months later, my husband and I called DOS. Both of us were told name check is completed, and let us contact Guangzhou. I emailed Guangzhou got a response " your case is now under processing for name check clearance" , My husband then emailed GZ to ask for explanation of name check clearance. Guess what? Consulate ingored our question, and repeat"your case is now under processing for name check clearance", which totally pissed me off :D I called DOS last night. I talked to a lady for about 10 minutes, then I am totally confused as I cant understand her english :D She has strong accent, which I hardly understand. I am frustrated about everything now, visa, my english, my future job :D

Yes, I had my interview in June. Because of communist crap, consulate told me they must run a routine security name check, which usually takes 2 months. Right now four months later, my husband and I called DOS. Both of us were told name check is completed, and let us contact Guangzhou. I emailed Guangzhou got a response " your case is now under processing for name check clearance" , My husband then emailed GZ to ask for explanation of name check clearance. Guess what? Consulate ingored our question, and repeat"your case is now under processing for name check clearance", which totally pissed me off :blink: I called DOS last night. I talked to a lady for about 10 minutes, then I am totally confused as I cant understand her english :) She has strong accent, which I hardly understand. I am frustrated about everything now, visa, my english, my future job ;)

Compared to my case, yours is not that bad. :P I am sure you will hear some good news from GUZ soon.