The masks that most people wear and the way that they wear them, do not do a lot to prevent that person from catching anything. They are not sealed tightly enough to the face. They need to fit snuggly around the sides and especially the nose. They do, however, help to prevent an ill person from spreading the disease by helping to catch and contain the aerosol spray of a cough or sneeze. They are of some value, but not as much as most people think.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it because of SARS or the war in middle east?

I read an article in WSJ calling all other countries to "isolate" and force China to take measures to prevent SARS from spreading...

I would be interested in hearing more about this article and it's contents. Did anyone read it? :angry: :angry:

Is it because of SARS or the war in middle east?

I read an article in WSJ calling all other countries to "isolate" and force China to take measures to prevent SARS from spreading...

I would be interested in hearing more about this article and it's contents. Did anyone read it? :angry: :angry:

Here is a chinese version of that article:

http://www.wenxuecity.com/BBSview.asp?SubI...ect&MsgID=17680

CDC SARS website:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/sars/

Rumor that a Chinese worker at a big Chinese restaurant and the owner of a big travel agency in Boston Chinatown have the virus. This is pretty scary. Probably will stay away from Chinatown now. Also, a Chinese baby who came here for adoption has the virus. The virus is spreading so fast internationally.

anyone know where a good usefull mask can be bought? online maybe?

thanks

My advice for you in the US would be to talk with your local pharmacist. They will have such masks or can get them easily and can advise as to what you really need and how to use them. Right now in the US, I would say you don't need such yet. In Guangdong or Hong Kong, I would seriously consider using one. Even one of the less effective ones would be better than nothing.

Also, most cities of any size and even many smaller towns have a medical supply store. They would have them.

Apr 2, 2:12 AM (ET)

GENEVA (AP) - The United Nations health agency on Wednesday advised travelers to avoid going to Hong Kong and the Chinese province of Guangdong because of a deadly outbreak of a mystery disease.

The World Health Organization said it was taking the action because at least nine foreign businessmen have caught Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, or SARS, in Hong Kong and returned with it to their home countries.

"People who are planning to travel to Hong Kong or Guangdong should consider postponing their travel until another time," said WHO infectious diseases chief Dr. David Heymann.

SARS has killed at least 75 people and sickened more than 1,800, the huge majority in China and Hong Kong.

Until now, the WHO had said that travelers could continue to go to the affected areas but should be aware of the symptoms of the disease and seek medical help quickly if they felt ill.

A number of countries already have advised their citizens to avoid the area, but many others simply followed WHO guidelines.

China on Wednesday reported that there had been 361 new cases of the disease during March, with nine deaths, and two more people died in Canada - a country that was struck by SARS after travelers returned from the region carrying the disease.

Already airlines were reporting that passenger numbers were down on flights to the affected areas, and the alert has had a big impact on Hong Kong business.

WHO has not issued advice to travelers intending to visit other countries hit by the disease. Heymann said the outbreak appears to be under control in Vietnam and work to contain it in Singapore and Canada seems to be succeeding.

Just received a notice from the Shenyang Consulate.

> PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT - SARS

>

> This Public Announcement is being issued to alert U.S.

> citizens that the Department of State has authorized the

> departure, on a voluntary basis, of non-emergency

> employees and all family members at the U.S. Consulate

> General in Guangzhou, China, as a precautionary measure

> due to the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)

> situation. The Consulate General remains open to

> provide the full range of services to American citizens

> and the general public.

>

> The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

> recommends U.S. Citizens defer elective or non-essential

> travel to areas with a large number of SARS cases,

> including Mainland China and Hong Kong. U.S. citizens

> resident or traveling in these areas should closely

> monitor the website of the Center for Disease Control

> and Prevention at http://www.cdc.gov and the website of

> the World Health Organization at http://www.who.int. for

> the latest information on SARS.

>

> For further information on travel to China, U.S.

> citizens should also consult the Department of State's

> Consular Information Sheets for China, the Fact Sheet on

> SARS and the SARS in Asia Public Announcement which are

> located at http://www.travel.state.gov.

Right now in the US, I would say you don't need such yet.

Yes. Let's not get paranoid just yet folks, at least not this side of the big pond..

I am not nearly as concerned on this side of the pond as I am for friends in Guangdong. Eric, do you think this will have a big impact on the Commodities Fair to be held in GZ this month? :huh: :greenblob:

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/030402/3/v3tb.html

Thursday April 3, 10:23 AM

FACTBOX-Latest toll from deadly virus by country

(Updates figures for Canada, Italy, Singapore, Thailand, United States; adds Belgium, Spain)

HONG KONG, April 3 (Reuters) - A pneumonia-like virus that has killed nearly 80 people and infected over 2,300 others is being spread around the world by travellers.

The outbreak started in southern China late last year before showing up in Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam, Canada, Germany and elsewhere in recent weeks.

Deaths have been reported in China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Canada, Singapore and Thailand.

Forty-six people have died in China and 1,190 cases have been reported.

Below is a list of the latest figures by country.

CASES* DEATHS QUARANTINED

CHINA 1,190 46

HONG KONG 685 16 Over 1,200

SINGAPORE 98 4 977

VIETNAM 62 4

UNITED STATES 72# 0

CANADA 160~ 6 thousands

TAIWAN 13 0 1,147

THAILAND 7 2

GERMANY 5 0

UK 3 0

ROMANIA 3 0

SWITZERLAND 3 0

ITALY 3 0

FRANCE 4~~ 0

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND 2 0

AUSTRALIA 1** 0

BELGIUM 1 0

SPAIN 1 0

TOTAL 2,313 78

(Sources: World Health Organisation and/or local health officials.)

* Cases include number of deaths. Figures from mainland China are now included in WHO statistics.

# Due to differences in the case definitions, probable cases are reported by all countries except the United States, which is reporting suspect cases under investigation.

~ Canadian figure includes suspect or probable cases.

~~ French figures are suspected cases.

** Australia says the one suspected infected person has recovered and is not believed to have infected anyone else.