Fingerprinting problem

We went to our green card interview today. The lady didn't give us any trouble or ask any tricky questions. Then she said this: "Well, you guys are definitely passable, but I have a note here saying that her fingerprints didn't show up well enough at her biometrics. You'll be asked to come in again to have the fingerprints taken again...but if I were you I would prepare a police statement from her home city in China declaring that she has no criminal background". And I am like "WTF????" Are you serious (only thinking this, but it prob showed on my face...)??? Well, my first reaction is to chill, we'll try biometrics again in November (they say) but the thought of it not working right and needing to get police reports from Shanghai and Snohomish County (our home county here) just because they can't get clear fingerprints from her really pisses me off.

Basically I plan to chill until we get the second prints done. We'll also have them make sure the prints are good while she is there, if that's possible. I probably think this lady had her wires crossed or something, I can't imagine that this is a real situation....I mean, a problem with them getting fingerprints doesn't mean that we need to bend over backwards for them, does it??

Anyone had this experience before?? What to do if it goes bad the second time?? Up until now things have been smooth...but I'll probably loose my cool if something as ridiculous as this causes trouble.... :roller:

We went to our green card interview today. The lady didn't give us any trouble or ask any tricky questions. Then she said this: "Well, you guys are definitely passable, but I have a note here saying that her fingerprints didn't show up well enough at her biometrics. You'll be asked to come in again to have the fingerprints taken again...but if I were you I would prepare a police statement from her home city in China declaring that she has no criminal background". And I am like "WTF????" Are you serious (only thinking this, but it prob showed on my face...)??? Well, my first reaction is to chill, we'll try biometrics again in November (they say) but the thought of it not working right and needing to get police reports from Shanghai and Snohomish County (our home county here) just because they can't get clear fingerprints from her really pisses me off.

Basically I plan to chill until we get the second prints done. We'll also have them make sure the prints are good while she is there, if that's possible. I probably think this lady had her wires crossed or something, I can't imagine that this is a real situation....I mean, a problem with them getting fingerprints doesn't mean that we need to bend over backwards for them, does it??

Anyone had this experience before?? What to do if it goes bad the second time?? Up until now things have been smooth...but I'll probably loose my cool if something as ridiculous as this causes trouble.... :roller:

What a crock!!!!

As for preparing a statement from the police, you need to remind them that this was completed for the interview in GZ and they have that evidence in their file. If they need a new one you will require AP, free of charge, and a significant airline discount to go to China to get an updated copy from the police.

You could always try to make an InfoPass appointment to discuss your case with a VO and try to get them to do the biometrics again after speaking with a different IO. Other offices around the country have discovered problems at the interview and had the Biometrics done at the same time.

If necessary ask them why there machine is not working properly. She has fingers and there are fingerprints on them. Also, if they have problems reading them you might suggest an ink pad method and a good scanner like the FBI used to use.

That sounds about right.

We're gonna protect our country from terrorists

but we can't even process a set of fingerprints from someone

who gave them voluntarily at a US government facility.

I sure feel safe!!!!

And then to cover their butt by trying to make you do an end around the original problem which comes down to resubmitting things they they should still have from the first time around. Sounds like THEY certainly have their act together!!!!

yeah, that sounds about right!!! :mf_sleep:

I'm surprised since I've read of others who didn't have a biometric correctly for the AOS interview and they were taken downstairs to have it done... maybe they are not setup at that office to have done it.

I would just try to get the biometrics done ASAP... remind them her police report is good for one year from issue.. (is it expired from that one year?). Maybe also remind them that she's been in the US since a certain time; so how can she of been in china to need to show clearance again :lol:

Then she said this: "Well, you guys are definitely passable, but I have a note here saying that her fingerprints didn't show up well enough at her biometrics. You'll be asked to come in again to have the fingerprints taken again...but if I were you I would prepare a police statement from her home city in China declaring that she has no criminal background".

Maybe it's just me, but this comment doesn't make any sense.

All background checks have been done. No criminal background has already been established or she would not be here.

AOS biometrics are not about the past, they are about having fingerprints on file in case the USCIS made a mistake. This was put in place right after 9/11 just for that purpose. Helps them track any possible wrong doers.

Another thing that doesn't make sense to me is why didn't they catch this during biometrics? When my wife had her prints taken, they wouldn't let her leave until they got a clear set. It took them twice on the left hand, but they got a clear set right then and there. They can view them on computer right away as they are taken.

I agree with David, do like some others have done. Stop by Biometrics office on a free day and see if you can get her prints retaken sooner.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)
Then she said this: "Well, you guys are definitely passable, but I have a note here saying that her fingerprints didn't show up well enough at her biometrics. You'll be asked to come in again to have the fingerprints taken again...but if I were you I would prepare a police statement from her home city in China declaring that she has no criminal background".

Maybe it's just me, but this comment doesn't make any sense.

All background checks have been done. No criminal background has already been established or she would not be here.

AOS biometrics are not about the past, they are about having fingerprints on file in case the USCIS made a mistake. This was put in place right after 9/11 just for that purpose. Helps them track any possible wrong doers.

Another thing that doesn't make sense to me is why didn't they catch this during biometrics? When my wife had her prints taken, they wouldn't let her leave until they got a clear set. It took them twice on the left hand, but they got a clear set right then and there. They can view them on computer right away as they are taken.

I agree with David, do like some others have done. Stop by Biometrics office on a free day and see if you can get her prints retaken sooner.

I agree. seems silly not to have caught this earlier, or at the time of biometrics...

Biometrics are about the FBI fingerprint check.. it's still another criminal background check.

We tend to not talk about this one so much on CFL since it's not applicable to the visa process (Unless NVC request a fingerprint based on their checks)...

In summary, my understanding is that there's three levels of checks:

- IBIS done by USCIS (usually at the visa center and so that is a place for delays)

- NCIC done by NVC (for consulates, do the NVC delays ar due to this.. and the consulates second name checks can be through various agencies)

- FBI Fingerprint check (from biometrics)

You guys just freak me out! I am totally lost now...

On my interview... the lady said that my Biometrics was waved since I didn't recieve any appointment letter... and then she told me to do another fingerprint in portland,or (My interview was at seattle). So, does that mean I am approved? Or I will expect the "name check"?

On my interview... the lady said that my Biometrics was waved since I didn't recieve any appointment letter... and then she told me to do another fingerprint in portland,or (My interview was at seattle). So, does that mean I am approved? Or I will expect the "name check"?

Of course you get a name check, no one wishes you to feel cheated by not having one of these in your file. :angry:

You are approved pending the outcome of the name check, that is if they can find your paperwork when the other paperwork comes back and remember they said they would send you a green card. :)

Just makes you want to love the system of government workers everywhere. :unsure:

Of course you get a name check, no one wishes you to feel cheated by not having one of these in your file. :P

You are approved pending the outcome of the name check, that is if they can find your paperwork when the other paperwork comes back and remember they said they would send you a green card. :blink:

Just makes you want to love the system of government workers everywhere. :lol:

She said I should recieve the greencard couple days after the fingerprint...

And now that you metioned... she does seem to be in a hurry to push us out when I trying to ask how long exectly couple days are? :D

Well, we just received an approval letter for her green card today saying that she'll receive her green card shortly. We kinda feel that maybe the lady had her signals crossed. We'll see if we actually get a green card.

On a side note, I was surprised at how much paperwork they generate for each case there. I commented on our stack of paperwork, and the lady said that our's is actually less paperwork than what she usually has to deal with. She showed us a tote full of paperwork behind her desk that was just for one person who is being deported. It was full to the top, like 40 pounds of paperwork. We get frustrated with these people sometimes, but it's amazing anything actually goes right over there. I gotta give 'em some credit, those guys are swimming in paperwork.

Well, we just received an approval letter for her green card today saying that she'll receive her green card shortly. We kinda feel that maybe the lady had her signals crossed. We'll see if we actually get a green card.

On a side note, I was surprised at how much paperwork they generate for each case there. I commented on our stack of paperwork, and the lady said that our's is actually less paperwork than what she usually has to deal with. She showed us a tote full of paperwork behind her desk that was just for one person who is being deported. It was full to the top, like 40 pounds of paperwork. We get frustrated with these people sometimes, but it's amazing anything actually goes right over there. I gotta give 'em some credit, those guys are swimming in paperwork.

If it's the Welcome Letter, you can take your wife to get her passport stamped at the USCIS with that letter just in case it takes them too long to get it to you.

If it's the Welcome Letter, you can take your wife to get her passport stamped at the USCIS with that letter just in case it takes them too long to get it to you.

THX for the info. Yeah, it is the "Welcome Letter". We'll consider getting her passport stamped, but we'll just see if we get the Green Card soon....

• 3 weeks later...