New debate - what would you choose??

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone:

Thank you so much for the advice. There is ALOT to think about. Some things to add to this picture. Prior to my recent career success (last 2 years) i was a single mother so I had a lot of school debt and other debt. So I am in no means the Rich catagory. I am originally from the East Coast: RI born and moved here after 7 years in Philadelphia so I know the winters and hate them. I do not own my home in CA.. The job offer comes from a dear friend and co-worker who I have worked with for over 2 years and I trust him. Of course I need to investigate .. but I am sure my friend looked hard and long before he moved his family there. he is very successful and intellegent.

Now that another day has passed .. I am sad at even considering moving from CA.. However, moving and doubling my income would allow me to pay off all my debt; buy a home and put away money so me and Lin can start our own business. The good part is that I have contacts all over CA, PA, NY and FL.. I get job offers all the time so if it doesn't work out .. I should be able to move on with no problem.

I am going to let it sink in for a few days .. right now I am too busy planning Lin's arrival and our wedding .. etc ect etc. Also think I will wait to see how he feels.

Again thank you so much .. It is so helpful seeing others thoughts on the subject.

Toni

I don't know the situation in US.

In China, I used to be a job hopper. Company culture is my first concern. Someone offered double salary years ago, after I quit my job with a western-invested company, my new employer didn't keep her words and she treated employees like animals.

My uncle had a sound career with Oracle in Guangzhou, someone offered much higher salary to ask him to work in Hong Kong. 2 years later, he chose to return to Oracle.

Yes, many things you need to investigate.

If you want adventure, new experience, change your job now.

If you are planning to have a baby, stay where you are.

Lin will like California better I guess.

239736[/snapback]

Eunice .. are you a Libra?

Hi Everyone:

Thank you so much for the advice.  There is ALOT to think about.  Some things to add to this picture.  Prior to my recent career success (last 2 years) i was a single mother so I had a lot of school debt and other debt.  So I am in no means the Rich catagory.  I am originally from the East Coast: RI born and moved here after 7 years in Philadelphia so I know the winters and hate them.  I do not own my home in CA.. The job offer comes from a dear friend and co-worker who I have worked with for over 2 years and I trust him.  Of course I need to investigate .. but I am sure my friend looked hard and long before he moved his family there.  he is very successful and intellegent. 

Now that another day has passed .. I am sad at even considering moving from CA.. However, moving and doubling my income would allow me to pay off all my debt; buy a home and put away money so me and Lin can start our own business.  The good part is that I have contacts all over CA, PA, NY and FL.. I get job offers all the time so if it doesn't work out .. I should be able to move on with no problem. 

I am going to let it sink in for a few days .. right now I am too busy planning Lin's arrival and our wedding .. etc ect etc.  Also think I will wait to see how he feels. 

Again thank you so much .. It is so helpful seeing others thoughts on the subject. 

Toni

239939[/snapback]

Check it out, if it is legit?

Just do it!

Go for it!

Your words look like you would lean that way, possibly.

Hey!

You have a “ Lao Gong “ dont ya ?

Meaning, I don’t know of many that do. :angry:

I find it hard to believe you are scared of anything. :yahoo:

My first thought is job security. If it's a flash in the pan company you may not have a job in a few years and may not be able to go back to this one. Cost of living is another issue. I have a strong feeling the Hamptons are not cheap. You make a good salary where you're at and you seem happy there. You can't put a price tag on happiness.

Hi Everyone:

Thank you so much for the advice.  There is ALOT to think about.  Some things to add to this picture.  Prior to my recent career success (last 2 years) i was a single mother so I had a lot of school debt and other debt.  So I am in no means the Rich catagory.  I am originally from the East Coast: RI born and moved here after 7 years in Philadelphia so I know the winters and hate them.   I do not own my home in CA.. The job offer comes from a dear friend and co-worker who I have worked with for over 2 years and I trust him.  Of course I need to investigate .. but I am sure my friend looked hard and long before he moved his family there.  he is very successful and intellegent. 

Now that another day has passed .. I am sad at even considering moving from CA.. However, moving and doubling my income would allow me to pay off all my debt; buy a home and put away money so me and Lin can start our own business.  The good part is that I have contacts all over CA, PA, NY and FL.. I get job offers all the time so if it doesn't work out .. I should be able to move on with no problem. 

I am going to let it sink in for a few days .. right now I am too busy planning Lin's arrival and our wedding .. etc ect etc.   Also think I will wait to see how he feels.  

Toni

239939[/snapback]

Check it out, if it is legit?

Just do it!

Go for it!

Your words look like you would lean that way, possibly.

Hey!

You have a ?Lao Gong ?dont ya ?

Meaning, I don’t know of many that do. :redblob:

I find it hard to believe you are scared of anything. :P

239953[/snapback]

Yuan Fen regarding "I find it hard to believe you are scared of anything." whatever do you mean? Are you saying I do not appear to be the shy timid type :o

[quote=

I find it hard to believe you are scared of anything. :D

239953[/snapback]

Yuan Fen regarding "I find it hard to believe you are scared of anything." whatever do you mean? Are you saying I do not appear to be the shy timid type :)

239995[/snapback]

Toni get him! Get him!

I know Eric meant something by that remark but

what it was I'm not sure of.

Yes Eric "whatever do you mean?"

please explain we are all waiting to see how you

get out of this!

LOL

Just trying to help a fellow Tejas out there buddy

:wacko:

Toni

Please be easy on Eric after all those folks in Big D

have had about 40 + days of 100f, 40c+ days and im

sure his marbles are not working correctly.

Oh BTW Toni "congrats and good luck

Bobby....

Edited by sleepless in Houston&CQ (see edit history)

[quote name='

I find it hard to believe you are scared of anything. :P

239953[/snapback]

Yuan Fen regarding "I find it hard to believe you are scared of anything." whatever do you mean? Are you saying I do not appear to be the shy timid type :o

239995[/snapback]

Toni get him! Get him!

I know Eric meant something by that remark but

what it was I'm not sure of.

Yes Eric "whatever do you mean?"

please explain we are all waiting to see how you

get out of this!

LOL

Just trying to help a fellow Tejas out there buddy

:clapping:

Toni

Please be easy on Eric after all those folks in Big D

have had about 40 + days of 100f' date=' 40c+ days and im

sure his marbles are not working correctly.

Oh BTW Toni "congrats and good luck

Bobby....

[right']240061[/snapback][/right]

-----------------------End Quote---------------------------

This is my answer, and I am sticking to it! :P

Really?

It was a compliment, actually.

Now,

Shy and timid?

Now tell me what kind of VPs roll like that. :huh:

Maybe on the golf course. :o

A VP is not a VP because they are

shy and timid in the boardroom.

So, for the question at hand. You do not own property in Ca. Any family there, where are they? How many close and dear friends will you leave behind.

If Lin can do his business from the Hamptons and you can find out how much it costs to live within commuting distance of the job then do what they already said.

Put together a cost benefit analysis. Put Ca in one column and East Coast in the other. List everything, assign a value to it and read the bottom line. I bet a VP is good at arm's length analysis.

Finally, money can pay your debts. It cannot buy happiness. Look within yourself. Your answer can be found in your comfort level with each decision.

This should be entirely your decision without considering anyone elses opinion, you are a smart lady to be where you are and nobody knows your wants, desires and needs better than you.

Don't take this the wrong way but most people ask for opinions when they don't want to make a decision on their own for fear that they will make the wrong decision, You're too smart for that.

I retired in a home where in the winter we get 300 inches of snow almost every year, If I listened to all the unsolicited opinions of my coworkers, family and friends I would have went south and been miserable.

Remember whatever decision you make you will have to live with it not the people that helped you make it.

So the only advise I can give to you that would be responsible is to follow your heart and think with your brain and you will do the right thing.

My first thought is the question of what your age is? Don't asmwer or post here, but when younger I would say it is the time to make the bucks. However, I am in the LA area right now in the tall Burbank Holiday Inn. The weather is SOOOOO nice. I actually like the environment in the office and I think my wife would like it here better. Well, have a good decision. Once you decide maybe pray and see if something comes to mind or confusion. Just my method when really in a puzzle.