SO wants to be a registered nurse

I leave for China on September 12 so I have been really busy. Even though we have communicated for 1.5 years, it is only today that I realized that she is set on becoming a registered nurse. I am excited that she has such lofty goals and she is aware that English is her first obstacle.

Does anyone know what schooling and a timeframe this will take? She has a similar position in China but I would bet that it does not translate for a job here. I don't think she is thinking of a acupuncture clinic. I know this will take significant resources to pull off but I will find a way. Anyone know of someone that can explain to me what will be required for her to accomplish this?

Guest pushbrk

Wow! She would be in school for 6 years before even going to nursing school. That is not what I was hoping to find.

239626[/snapback]

There are three year RN diploma programs and 4 year bachelor programs. You don't add them together. You choose one or the other. Perhaps some of her previous schooling can be credited.

There are also Masters programs but that's above and beyond.

Wow! She would be in school for 6 years before even going to nursing school. That is not what I was hoping to find.

239626[/snapback]

There are three year RN diploma programs and 4 year bachelor programs. You don't add them together. You choose one or the other. Perhaps some of her previous schooling can be credited.

There are also Masters programs but that's above and beyond.

239630[/snapback]

pshbark,

Yeah--i was just reading that. There is possibility of a tuition reimbursement program while working for a hospital. That might be too much for her. What is funny is that she wants kids soon too. I think we have many decisions to make.

Bill,  Are you sure "nursing" was about being a nurse or having children?  :D

Sorry, had to ask.  :smoker:

239643[/snapback]

She wants it all. I really cannot explain it to her. To become a RN, it will be like I woke up and had a kid in college all of a sudden. I don't see how she can do this and have kids at the same time. She was specific on Registered Nurse instead of Nurse.

This will be an interesting conversation when we actually have it. I will find an expert to speak to her.

I will be the only one needing a nurse---i can't afford a baby and school.

Edited by bill23 (see edit history)
Bill,  Are you sure "nursing" was about being a nurse or having children?  :P

Sorry, had to ask.  :D

239643[/snapback]

She wants it all. I really cannot explain it to her. To become a RN, it will be like I woke up and had a kid in college all of a sudden. I don't see how she can do this and have kids at the same time. She was specific on Registered Nurse instead of Nurse.

This will be an interesting conversation when we actually have it. I will find an expert to speak to her.

239649[/snapback]

Hey Bill!

It is achievable.

Just be by her side on her dreams.

If she is as ambitious as you say she is,

I know Jie is.

Hey, coming up soon!

Wish we were going to be in GUZ at the same time.

That would be cool.

You are on the right track.

Me? I am thinking ahead also. ;)

Bill,  Are you sure "nursing" was about being a nurse or having children?  :P

Sorry, had to ask.  :D

239643[/snapback]

239649[/snapback]

if bush stay in office to much longer , i think your decission may get easer, ;)

Here in Oregon OHSU offers both a 2 yr and a 4 year RN degree program. Starting wages for the two are not much different but the earing potetial 5 years down the road make a big difference. Even with the 2 year program she could easily start at 35 K a year.

Just saw a client whose daughter is a RN in the US. The girl arrived in the US with a student visa. I'm impressed by the intelligence of Guangxi people.

I leave for China on September 12 so I have been really busy.  Even though we have communicated for 1.5 years, it is only today that I realized that she is set on becoming a registered nurse.  I am excited that she has such lofty goals and she is aware that English is her first obstacle. 

Does anyone know what schooling and a timeframe this will take?  She has a similar position in China but I would bet that it does not translate for a job here.  I don't think she is thinking of a acupuncture clinic.  I know this will take significant resources to pull off but I will find a way.  Anyone know of someone that can explain to me what will be required for her to accomplish this?

239611[/snapback]

My daughter is studing to be a RN. 2 years of college and then nursing school for 2 years is my understanding. Since you are in Marrietta, I think you will have Kennesaw University there and my son graduated from Southern Poly Tech there. I beleive there is one more school there also.

Did you mention before that she has college?, If so, you will be surprised what will transfer. But yes, English will be her biggest obstacle.

It is nice to have such a good goals... not enough nurses, If she works hard, she will do well.