We be happy

Hi guys and gals.

Just an update.

We're doing well after our first week in the US.

Life is great and we both couldn't be any happier.

Now just waiting for the next steps to fall into place. Who knew it would be so much trouble trying to get married quickly. :lol:

Neither of us wants any kind of ceremony. The JP is fine for both of us. Unfortunately, in Texas this means you gotta get an SSN. Argghhh... So we wait again. :lol: but together always. Nice. ;)

I believe the order will be:

1) Apply for SSN tomorrow (that's 10 days of waiting as recommeded)

2) Get SSN card within 2 weeks (can't they just give us a temporary number to use so we can get a marriage license? :o )

3) Apply for marriage license and wait the 72 hours before getting hitched.

4) Get married at JP

5) Add her to insurance, apartment lease, bank accounts, credit cards and other services.

6) Begin the DORA program for Dallas residents and see if we can be one of the lucky 60% to get our green card within 90 days (yea right, I'll believe it when I see it)

Peachy and Melody

Hey Peachy... Why are you waiting for a SSN number to get married. We received our visa one day after you and my SO arrived in the US one day before you. We have the marriage papers and are just waiting for the rings. I called the court house and they will marry us but it isn't called a JP anymore. Not sure what they call themselves, but they will marry you for $30. No witness required. Since we reside in the same state, I am sure the same law applies to you. They assigned all zeros to her SSN#. Good luck!!

Gary,

I checked online and called both Dallas and Collin county govt offices and they indicate that you need a SSN for the marriage license. What county are you referring to?

No worries anyway. We went to the SS Administration building yesterday and all looked good by the friendly gentleman that processed her paperwork. He gave us a pass to come back the next day to pick up a piece of paper with her number on it while the actual card is being mailed. That's all I really wanted was to know the number. :wacko:

Gary,

I checked online and called both Dallas and Collin county govt offices and they indicate that you need a SSN for the marriage license.  What county are you referring to?

No worries anyway.  We went to the SS Administration building yesterday and all looked good by the friendly gentleman that processed her paperwork.  He gave us a pass to come back the next day to pick up a piece of paper with her number on it while the actual card is being mailed.  That's all I really wanted was to know the number.  :lol:

240054[/snapback]

I live in Saint Lucie county, but I think marriage license is controlled by the state. I went to the local courthouse showed my ID and my fiancee showed her passport with the visa and we were given the marriage license. We had to wait 3 days. We will get married either tomorrow or Monday and my fiancee still has no SSN.

Gary,

I checked online and called both Dallas and Collin county govt offices and they indicate that you need a SSN for the marriage license.  What county are you referring to?

No worries anyway.  We went to the SS Administration building yesterday and all looked good by the friendly gentleman that processed her paperwork.  He gave us a pass to come back the next day to pick up a piece of paper with her number on it while the actual card is being mailed.  That's all I really wanted was to know the number.  :lol:

240054[/snapback]

I live in Saint Lucie county, but I think marriage license is controlled by the state. I went to the local courthouse showed my ID and my fiancee showed her passport with the visa and we were given the marriage license. We had to wait 3 days. We will get married either tomorrow or Monday and my fiancee still has no SSN.

240162[/snapback]

Well... sounds like you are lucky. :lol: Congrats!

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/p/texas.htm

ID Requirement:

In Texas, you will need one valid form of id such as drivers license, certified copy of your birth certificate, U. S. passport, military ID card, and your Social Security number.

Gary,

No worries anyway.  We went to the SS Administration building yesterday and all looked good by the friendly gentleman that processed her paperwork.  He gave us a pass to come back the next day to pick up a piece of paper with her number on it while the actual card is being mailed.  That's all I really wanted was to know the number.  :cheering:

240054[/snapback]

240162[/snapback]

Is Saint Lucie county in Texas?

Gary,

No worries anyway.  We went to the SS Administration building yesterday and all looked good by the friendly gentleman that processed her paperwork.  He gave us a pass to come back the next day to pick up a piece of paper with her number on it while the actual card is being mailed.  That's all I really wanted was to know the number.  :eyebrow:

240054[/snapback]

240162[/snapback]

Is Saint Lucie county in Texas?

240200[/snapback]

Sorry about that. I thought Peachy was from Florida.