Reason for Refusals!!

My point is there is no bullet proof method. Beijng prepared is not always enough. I agree with David that trends change. Communication blue slips are rarer now than they were when my wife went through. I believe we were the first on CFL to have that done to us. I believe they continually change what they are blue slipping for to keep people off balance. There is no consistancy. . When my wife went to interview she went with 4 other women from Nanning. Of the 5 she spoke english the best. She is the only one that failed. Confidence does play a key and I admit my wife was nervous but her interview was way too short for this to be much of a factor. This is basically how my wife's interview played out.

VO; "do you speak English?"

Ans. "yes but sometimes hear english no good"

The VO then said something she didn't understand, took the folder and rifled through it, looked at a few papers then promply wrote out a blueslip. The interview lasted 90 seconds tops. If the VO would have taken the time to talk with her a few minutes longer she would have realized that her english was functional.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is frustrating and unknown as to why people are given blue slips. In the case of Carl and Bing, who Bea and I met and got to know in China.

A 5 minute interview of Both of them together with a deaf mute who was blind in one eye and he could tell these two can communicate!

I believe in Hong Kong this is the case, both are interviewed if both are there.

A five minute or less interview in my view doesn't really say much, I think it would be hard to no, the results are not pre-determined or rather flagged in some manner. I.E. every thing looks ok with paper work, put in the quick confirm, some questions regarding paper work etc. question regarding these issues, and perhaps paper work or other red flags set off, question this and blue slip.

Lastly is this the case and real way GZ operates? I have not idea or a clue just a dumb. stupid quess. Sorry to say you just have to deal with the frustration, know it WILL pass and your SO will get that Visa!

P.S. Bea and I waited 19 months and that was with a congressional expidited visa interview. I just saw someone here on CFL from the VT service Center with the same CR1 9 months start to finish! DAMN!!!! somebody likes you.. congrats and good on you!

Guest pushbrk
My point is there is no bullet proof method.?Beijng prepared is not always enough.?I agree with David that trends change.?Communication blue slips are rarer now than they were when my wife went through.?I believe we were the first on CFL to have that done to us. I believe they continually change what they are blue slipping for to keep people off balance.?There is no consistancy.?.?When my wife went to interview she went with 4 other women from Nanning.?Of the?5 she spoke english the best.?She is the only one that failed.?Confidence does play a key and I admit my wife was nervous but her interview was way too short for this to be much of a factor.?This is basically how my wife's interview played out.?

The VO then said something she didn't understand, took the folder and rifled through it, looked at a few papers then promply wrote out?a blueslip.?The interview lasted 90 seconds tops. If the VO would have taken the time to?talk with her a few minutes longer she would have realized that her english was functional.

238556[/snapback]

It's very difficult to have meaningful discussion when meanings are turned around.

Lack of preparation is the most common problem for visa denial. (I am not limiting the scope of this statement to CFL members.)

That does not mean that prepared people don't get blue slips. It's apples and two by fours.

Removing the biggest obstacle to ANYTHING is NO GUARANTEE of achievment. It's just the removal of an obstacle.

Preparation is not a guarantee. Lack of Preparation is the MOST COMMON problem. Neither statement contradicts the other. Both are true statements.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)
There has been much speculation that cases are flagged for problems in advance of the interview or even that decisions have been noted before the VO sees the case. 

I'm convinced the VO sees any notes there are along the process.  I'm just as convinced that no matter what those notes say about GRANTING the visa, the VO has the ability to over-rule them if they see something fishy at the interview.

I'm also convinced there would be very few interviews like Jim Julian's that last over 20 minutes and end in approval, if decisions were ALL made in advance of the interview.  Really, why waste the time?

238547[/snapback]

We are confusing the words SOME and ALL here. SOME people have reported an extremely short interview. The VO comes to the window, goes through the motions with a couple of questions, and hands out the slip, red or blue. The tone of the interview is all in one direction, sometimes the VO seems to already have the slip in hand. These are APPARENTLY pre-determined interviews.

MOST cases spend more time, with the VO possibly even shifting his tone. Some of this is to watch your reaction.

To say that a VO would take a 2 minute look at a case and turn it down on the basis of that look is absolutely scary. These are the cases that the beneficiary often reports may have been "pre-determined".

My point is there is no bullet proof method.  Beijng prepared is not always enough.  I agree with David that trends change.  Communication blue slips are rarer now than they were when my wife went through.  I believe we were the first on CFL to have that done to us. I believe they continually change what they are blue slipping for to keep people off balance.  There is no consistancy.  .  When my wife went to interview she went with 4 other women from Nanning.  Of the  5 she spoke english the best.  She is the only one that failed.  Confidence does play a key and I admit my wife was nervous but her interview was way too short for this to be much of a factor.  This is basically how my wife's interview played out. 

The VO then said something she didn't understand, took the folder and rifled through it, looked at a few papers then promply wrote out  a blueslip.  The interview lasted 90 seconds tops. If the VO would have taken the time to  talk with her a few minutes longer she would have realized that her english was functional.

238556[/snapback]

It's very difficult to have meaningful discussion when meanings are turned around.

Lack of preparation is the most common problem for visa denial.

That does not mean that prepared people don't get blue slips. It's apples and two by fours.

Removing the biggest obstacle to ANYTHING is NO GUARANTEE of achievment. It's just the removal of an obstacle.

Preparation is not a guarantee. Lack of Preparation is the MOST COMMON problem. Neither statement contradicts the other. Both are true statements.

238560[/snapback]

glad you back tracked on that one.

Prepared.... Carl had a folder big enough to rate it's own seat on the flight over! In order, alphabitized, tabbed and color coded. I think it was 4 to 6 inches thick but ask him.

We did the how ever many minutes video and if I'm correct the paper work wasn't looked at the tape tuyrned in the day before and a short question answer period and Bing had her visa.

I'm going with the keep people off balance, treat them like their country men in public service jobs do. We have first hand personal experience of this. etc.

Mark

We were a K1 case with a 22 year age difference.

Some of the factors that I think got our case through without a hitch:

- Money. She's comfortable and I have a high income, no reason anyone would have paid anyone.

- Trips to China. Lots as you can see in our timeline

- My visit to American Citizen's Hour the week before where I basically reviewed our case with a VO.

- Lots of family photo's

Mike mentioned that the interview went 20 minutes. Most of that was a very kind and thoughtful VO making sure that Lao Po and our Chinese daughter understood how to navigate through our rather complicated K2 follow to join situation.

Carl,

I have to disagree with you a bit. In my case - my wife speaks almost 0 (zero) english and I definately speak 0 (zero) chinese. We just flew through the entire process including our interview this month. The VO never even asked how we communicate....... It has to be something else.

My opinion is a bit different - I think LUCK plays a big factor. Lucky draw of the right VO and everything that goes with it. Are they having a good day? Do they like you? Do you look and smell good? ha ha ..... I just think that as long as the documents are in order - the only other factor can be just pure simple LUCK OF THE DRAW!!!

Scott

238544[/snapback]

Whether an applicant succeeds a visa interview,

A. 40% is decided by the actual situation - things you cannot change, such as figures on the Income Tax Return, how many kids she is bringing, date of divorce, education and background of the petitioner and applicant.

B. 40% is decided by "homework" - how well prepared you are, how you have trained your SO to communicate efficiently. Too much information, even an educated applicant may not know what is important what is not.

C. 20% is decided by LUCK. Some VO likes video tape, some VO likes to check your address for recent 5 years, some VO likes SSN of your ex.........

For the same applicant, she can pass with one interviewer and be given a blue slip if she has a different interviewer, depending on your weak points.

Well, I've been inside the inner workings of the consulate and have witnessed first hand how the process works. I hate to say this, but you're all wrong.

Before the morning activities begin, each VO is told how many interviews will be conducted. Each is then handed that number of darts, each dart numbered to correspond to the interview scheduled. The VOs then retreats to the dart board room (order determined by seniority), and all the darts are thrown at once. Those darts that hit the dart board either hit "pink slip" (a rather large section of the board) or "blue slip" (the smaller section). Those that miss the board completely are marked for further processing - nowyou really know what "administrative processing" means. There are two other spots on the dart board - one for failed (no blue slip) and one (the bull's eye) that, if hit, activates an Elvis song, "Return to Sender", which in this case is USCIS.

Now you know the rest of the story. :blink:

Trying to guess what the consulate looks for is difficult. The tumblers turn constantly and the red flag of one month often retreats into oblivion only to be raised in another month when people get that false sense of security that age, communications, financials, fiance(e)'s hometown, employment, party affiliations, or whatever are no longer a hot button for the consulate.

The best that any person can do is to prepare, be honest and consistent with the information, dress appropriately, and bring an air of friendly confidence to the interview. Chances are good that the VO will hand out that long sought-after pink slip. No guarantees, but nothing in life is.

Guest pushbrk
My point is there is no bullet proof method.?Beijng prepared is not always enough.?I agree with David that trends change.?Communication blue slips are rarer now than they were when my wife went through.?I believe we were the first on CFL to have that done to us. I believe they continually change what they are blue slipping for to keep people off balance.?There is no consistancy.?.?When my wife went to interview she went with 4 other women from Nanning.?Of the?5 she spoke english the best.?She is the only one that failed.?Confidence does play a key and I admit my wife was nervous but her interview was way too short for this to be much of a factor.?This is basically how my wife's interview played out.?

The VO then said something she didn't understand, took the folder and rifled through it, looked at a few papers then promply wrote out?a blueslip.?The interview lasted 90 seconds tops. If the VO would have taken the time to?talk with her a few minutes longer she would have realized that her english was functional.

238556[/snapback]

Lack of preparation is the most common problem for visa denial.

238560[/snapback]

glad you back tracked on that one.

Prepared.... Carl had a folder big enough to rate it's own seat on the flight over! In order, alphabitized, tabbed and color coded. I think it was 4 to 6 inches thick but ask him.

We did the how ever many minutes video and if I'm correct the paper work wasn't looked at the tape tuyrned in the day before and a short question answer period and Bing had her visa.

I'm going with the keep people off balance, treat them like their country men in public service jobs do. We have first hand personal experience of this. etc.

Mark

238565[/snapback]

I didn't backtrack an inch. I guess I'm slipping, not being direct enough.

Preparation is no guarantee.

Lack of preparation is the most common reason for blue slips.

There are many other reasons for blue slips.

Many of the unprepared simply come to the interview without some critical paperwork or proof. Usually, these people are not CFL members.

There is much more to preparation than paperwork.

Confident, comfortable applicants who show this in their greeting and give good clear answers to the first few questions are more important to a pink outcome than a thick stack of papers.

Scared applicants who freeze in the interview do more to cause a blue slip than a thin stack of papers does.

The difference between confident and scared or frozen is accomplished through "preparation". Sometimes no amount of preparation can accomplish this because the applicant doesn't have it in them to be confident and/or comfortable in stressful situations.

Sometimes no matter how prepared, confident or comfortable the applicant is, there will be something the VO thinks shoud have a closer look.

I never said a thing to indicate anything I wrote in this thread applied to Carl and Bing. I never said they were blue slipped because they weren't prepared. I wasn't there. I don't know.

I DID SAY, that we've learned from Carl and others that a video is part of prudent "preparation".

Did I say "most" and "not all"? Yep, I sure did.

- bona fide relationship (fraud, communication, etc)

- public charge satisified

- documents/comments are in order (truthful, in sync with answers, etc).

- applicant is eligible for a visa (CPC issues, etc)

238535[/snapback]

I agree with David's points.

Whatever happens, there should be reason. Check these points with reason and logic.

Things related with bona fide relationship is important. When SO answers questions, it should be consistent with the documents provided.

I know someone providing dating service in Guangzhou. All of her clients got their visas - no case was returned to US. I only gave them CFL website for recent months.

I don't believe it's difficult to convince VO a true relationship is true.

Well, I've been inside the inner workings of the consulate and have witnessed first hand how the process works.  I hate to say this, but you're all wrong.

Before the morning activities begin, each VO is told how many interviews will be conducted.  Each is then handed that number of darts, each dart numbered to correspond to the interview scheduled.  The VOs then retreats to the dart board room (order determined by seniority), and all the darts are thrown at once.  Those darts that hit the dart board either hit "pink slip" (a rather large section of the board) or "blue slip" (the smaller section).  Those that miss the board completely are marked for further processing - nowyou really know what "administrative processing" means.  There are two other spots on the dart board - one for failed (no blue slip) and one (the bull's eye) that, if hit, activates an Elvis song, "Return to Sender", which in this case is USCIS.

Now you know the rest of the story. :blink:

Trying to guess what the consulate looks for is difficult.  The tumblers turn constantly and the red flag of one month often retreats into oblivion only to be raised in another month when people get that false sense of security that age, communications, financials, fiance(e)'s hometown, employment, party affiliations, or whatever are no longer a hot button for the consulate.

The best that any person can do is to prepare, be honest and consistent with the information, dress appropriately, and bring an air of friendly confidence to the interview.  Chances are good that the VO will hand out that long sought-after pink slip.  No guarantees, but nothing in life is.

238578[/snapback]

Very wise words Frank. Also nice to see all the mystery cleared up.

The best that any person can do is to prepare, be honest and consistent with the information, dress appropriately, and bring an air of friendly confidence to the interview.  Chances are good that the VO will hand out that long sought-after pink slip.  No guarantees, but nothing in life is.

238578[/snapback]

Absolutely right.

Very wise words Frank.  Also nice to see all the mystery cleared up.

238584[/snapback]

I've been observing and analyzing cases. The problem is I never see mystery or myth. I always found out reasons.

I still believe *some* of it has to do with the GZ office becoming under scrutiny by either their own government or other governments, or any organization. You just can't churn out 100% first time pass thru visas without someone doubting the process is good enough to stop fraud and other things, like the office staff not doing their job. You must have some failure rates to report else you will have the higher-ups on your back.

It's just like the local cops in this town who set up speed traps and other sweeps at certain times of the month or quarters, just to make a quota or to meet other internal processes.

I still believe *some* of it has to do with the GZ office becoming under scrutiny by either their own government or other governments, or any organization. You just can't churn out 100% first time pass thru visas without someone doubting the process is good enough to stop fraud and other things, like the office staff not doing their job. You must have some failure rates to report else you will have the higher-ups on your back.

It's just like the local cops in this town who set up speed traps and other sweeps at certain times of the month or quarters, just to make a quota or to meet other internal processes.

238597[/snapback]

Jeff, you should change your sig when you're not posting in the TC...

-James