Will this be a problem? (age limit)

My fiancee is currently 17. She turns 18 in one month. Should I begin dating the forms and papers (letter of intent, I-129F, G-325A, etc) the date now? Because if I date it now, it makes sense when they receive it (in a few months), she'll be already 18. Or should I be safe, and wait until she turns 18 and then date it. If so, what should I begin preparing now? Thanks.

Edited by Kabijin (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
My fiancee is currently 17. She turns 18 in one month. Should I begin dating the forms and papers (letter of intent, I-129F, G-325A, etc) the date now? Because if I date it now, it makes sense when they receive it (in a few months), she'll be already 18. Or should I be safe, and wait until she turns 18 and then date it. If so, what should I begin preparing now? Thanks.

236483[/snapback]

Not sure what you mean by "they", as in "when they receive it". Date the forms the day you mail them to the service center.

Does she have a passport? If not, is she able to obtain one? Would she need parental concent to obtain a passport?

236483[/snapback]

Not sure what you mean by "they", as in "when they receive it". Date the forms the day you mail them to the service center.

Does she have a passport? If not, is she able to obtain one? Would she need parental concent to obtain a passport?

236485[/snapback]

I meant the USCIS Service Center. I am writing up the forms and papers now and plan to send it in a few weeks, but I plan to fill out the forms otnight want to sign the date (like the date on the I-129F, G-325A, etc) for today. When the USCIS receives my package in a few weeks/month, my fiancee will already be 18. Would this be a problem as in will they look at the age of when the papers were signed and realize that my fiancee is not of legal age yet? Sorry for the confusion.

Guest pushbrk

236483[/snapback]

236485[/snapback]

I meant the USCIS Service Center. I am writing up the forms and papers now and plan to send it in a few weeks, but I plan to fill out the forms otnight want to sign the date (like the date on the I-129F, G-325A, etc) for today. When the USCIS receives my package in a few weeks/month, my fiancee will already be 18. Would this be a problem as in will they look at the age of when the papers were signed and realize that my fiancee is not of legal age yet? Sorry for the confusion.

236488[/snapback]

I'm still confused. Why would USCIS receive them in a few weeks? Are you in China? If so, I would be safe and date them so that they appear current when received by the service center. This will avoid any potential difficulty with her being underage on the day you signed them. However, I don't actually see this as a problem. If you are concerned about the mailing date being before the signature date, send them to a US resident for remailing.

If you date them for when she is still 17, you'll have to show her age on the forms as 17.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

236483[/snapback]

236485[/snapback]

236488[/snapback]

I'm still confused. Why would USCIS receive them in a few weeks? Are you in China? If so, I would be safe and date them so that they appear current when received by the service center. This will avoid any potential difficulty with her being underage on the day you signed them. However, I don't actually see this as a problem. If you are concerned about the mailing date being before the signature date, send them to a US resident for remailing.

If you date them for when she is still 17, you'll have to show her age on the forms as 17.

236494[/snapback]

I live in the US, but I had the original understanding that the USCIS won't receive them until a few weeks or even months down the road before they even reply. I am just worried that if I date them now, and send them (say... tomorrow), they'll look at her date of birth and realize that she is still underage when she signed the papers.

Guest pushbrk

236483[/snapback]

236485[/snapback]

236488[/snapback]

236494[/snapback]

I live in the US, but I had the original understanding that the USCIS won't receive them until a few weeks or even months down the road before they even reply. I am just worried that if I date them now, and send them (say... tomorrow), they'll look at her date of birth and realize that she is still underage when she signed the papers.

236496[/snapback]

The petitions are stamped with a date, the same day the post office delivers them. It might take a week or you to receive any official notice.

If I were in your shoes, I would date the papers and mail them when she is 18.

236496[/snapback]

So wouldn't simply waiting until she's 18 solve the problem?

You won't need to risk the mail being fast. Why take a chance? You are risking much more than a month here.

236496[/snapback]

So wouldn't simply waiting until she's 18 solve the problem?

You won't need to risk the mail being fast. Why take a chance? You are risking much more than a month here.

236498[/snapback]

Hmm, I guess I'll do that just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the prompt answers, your help is truly appreciated. :)

I'ts my understanding that this applies to the age at marriage which for most states is 18 with some as young as 16 with parental approval. If this holds up, by default, she will be of legal age long before a visa would be granted.

The safest answr would be to wait a month to remove the doubt otherwise, you might try calling USCIS and asking but that also could be a crap shoot in finding a correct answer.

Guest pushbrk
I seriously doubt the age of your girlfriend is going to be a consideration with USCIS, since you won't be able to marry in the US for about one year anyhow. I would however be concerned with the Chinese government and their view on marriage at such a young age.

236506[/snapback]

The OP hasn't answered whether he knows if his fiance can obtain a passport. I assume she can, with or without her parents' permission once she is 18. This assumption may not be correct.

If she can get a passport, she can leave China once a visa to the USA is obtained. China will recognize her legal US marriage even though she could not have been married in China at that time.

The rub is whether the US govt. will consider her legal to sign the G325a before she is 18. There is no issue with the marriage, if she can get here.

I seriously doubt the age of your girlfriend is going to be a consideration with USCIS, since you won't be able to marry in the US for about one year anyhow. I would however be concerned with the Chinese government and their view on marriage at such a young age.

236506[/snapback]

The OP hasn't answered whether he knows if his fiance can obtain a passport. I assume she can, with or without her parents' permission once she is 18. This assumption may not be correct.

If she can get a passport, she can leave China once a visa to the USA is obtained. China will recognize her legal US marriage even though she could not have been married in China at that time.

The rub is whether the US govt. will consider her legal to sign the G325a before she is 18. There is no issue with the marriage, if she can get here.

236509[/snapback]

I believe she can get a passport once she's 18.

Guest pushbrk

236506[/snapback]

236509[/snapback]

I believe she can get a passport once she's 18.

236513[/snapback]

I expect so. In General, one must be 18 to sign contracts and other legal documents without parental cosignature. Whether this applies to the G325a is anybody's guess but I'd rather be safe than pay an attorney to find out.