Question about "Choice of Agent and Address" form

Greetings All,

My wife just received the "Choice of Agent and Address" form from USCIS. Basically, it asks her if she wants USCIS to send all correspondence directly to her or she can choose an "Agent" to receive all correspondence for her.

The rationale stated in the letter seems to be that USCIS feels that mail delivery service can sometimes be unreliable (In other countries, presumably).

Anyway, if we choose me as the Agent, then I'll have to forward everything to my wife in China which will still expose the documents to "unreliable" delivery service and add processing time as they'll have to be sent to me and then sent again to her.

Nothing that I've mailed to my wife has been lost in the mail. She's received everything I've mailed to her. I do however use the mailing address of her office, not her home because I feel that's more reliable.

So, I'm leaning toward her choosing no Agent and putting her office address on that form. Before we go ahead, I am wondering what other folks have done in this situation.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

Greetings All,

My wife just received the "Choice of Agent and Address" form from USCIS. Basically, it asks her if she wants USCIS to send all correspondence directly to her or she can choose an "Agent" to receive all correspondence for her.

The rationale stated in the letter seems to be that USCIS feels that mail delivery service can sometimes be unreliable (In other countries, presumably).

Anyway, if we choose me as the Agent, then I'll have to forward everything to my wife in China which will still expose the documents to "unreliable" delivery service and add processing time as they'll have to be sent to me and then sent again to her.

Nothing that I've mailed to my wife has been lost in the mail. She's received everything I've mailed to her. I do however use the mailing address of her office, not her home because I feel that's more reliable.

So, I'm leaning toward her choosing no Agent and putting her office address on that form. Before we go ahead, I am wondering what other folks have done in this situation.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

230878[/snapback]

Sounds like you are a CR-1 case, you will probably want to have her list you as her agent so that all forms from NVC come directly to you and you handle the forms to be returned to NVC in the fastest possible time. Otherwise they will be sent to her, including the visa bills and add a bunch of time to your process as she sends them back to you. This is also the address they will send the request for the I-864.

You can complete the DS-230 part 1 now and send it to her to get her name in Chinese Characters and sign the form at the bottom. Leave the date empty and fill that in when the paperwork is requested.

Greetings All,

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

230878[/snapback]

Dan,

I was listed for the Choice of Agent too. It will save a lot of time and headaches for your wife if you take care of all the paperwork. Most of the paper filing will actually be between you and NVC, not you and your wife. I had her sign the Choice of Agent form and email it to me. Then I finished filling it out and sent it in. This will shave off a week of the process.

Good Luck!

Guest pushbrk
Greetings All,

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

230878[/snapback]

Choice of agent can be accompished by email as well. Here is a link to helpful NVC shortcuts.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117

Greetings All,

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

230878[/snapback]

Choice of agent can be accompished by email as well. Here is a link to helpful NVC shortcuts.

230932[/snapback]

You didn't provide any links to help to understand how to do this via email (but posted a link for something not asked)...

How would one do this via email?

Greetings All,

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

230878[/snapback]

230932[/snapback]

They sent my wife and me the form at the same time, I got mine 2 weeks before she did. I recommend choosing yourself because those paperwork delays will add up.

Greetings All,

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

230878[/snapback]

230932[/snapback]

You didn't provide any links to help to understand how to do this via email (but posted a link for something not asked)...

230957[/snapback]

Dave, click on the link again and scroll down to "choice of agent", it tells you

exactly what to do. Once the form has been sent out the beneficiary can email NVC, give the case number and the name and address of who they are

appointing to be the agent.

They have email examples listed.

It seems that you being the agent makes most sense... it worked for me.....

good luck

I followed the instruction in that link step by step and finished all NVC process, it really works, saved a lot of time on the post way from NVC to you or your SO,my timeline for your reference.

NVC is the only step you can control a little, so do something to shorten the long waiting visa process is valuable.

Greetings All,

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

230878[/snapback]

230932[/snapback]

230957[/snapback]

Dave, click on the link again and scroll down to "choice of agent", it tells you

exactly what to do. Once the form has been sent out the beneficiary can email NVC, give the case number and the name and address of who they are

230987[/snapback]

I believe the point is providing a link to a link is a PITA. Why not post the actual link to accomplish the task instead of providing a link to 6 pages of posts.

Greetings All,

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

230878[/snapback]

230932[/snapback]

230957[/snapback]

230987[/snapback]

I believe the point is providing a link to a link is a PITA. Why not post the actual link to accomplish the task instead of providing a link to 6 pages of posts.

231044[/snapback]

The original question was answered in the 1st post of the link, the others are also helpful. Read them if you like or don't.

Guest pushbrk
Greetings All,

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

230878[/snapback]

230932[/snapback]

230957[/snapback]

The information about how to choose the agent by email is at the link provided, as well as an extensive list of other NVC shortcut procedures designed to shorten the NVC in to NVC out portion of the timeline by as much as three months.

I thought the OP and any reader would find the link helpful. YMMV.

Guest pushbrk
Greetings All,

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

230878[/snapback]

230932[/snapback]

230957[/snapback]

230987[/snapback]

231044[/snapback]

The original question was answered in the 1st post of the link, the others are also helpful. Read them if you like or don't.

231066[/snapback]

Neither David or Lee's most recent posts in this thread (or this one by me) are intended to be helpful to anybody or to address the topic in any way. They are intended to criticize me. I notice because its so blatantly obvious but I've stopped letting it bother me. I suggest the other readers do the same.

Greetings All,

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

230878[/snapback]

230932[/snapback]

230957[/snapback]

230987[/snapback]

231044[/snapback]

231066[/snapback]

Neither David or Lee's most recent posts in this thread (or this one by me) are intended to be helpful to anybody or to address the topic in any way. They are intended to criticize me. I notice because its so blatantly obvious but I've stopped letting it bother me. I suggest the other readers do the same.

231078[/snapback]

:blink:

Greetings All,

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

230878[/snapback]

230932[/snapback]

230957[/snapback]

230987[/snapback]

231044[/snapback]

231066[/snapback]

231078[/snapback]

you wrote two sentences. Then a link. I did not assume the link was where to find the explanation for the first sentence since it felt to me that the second sentence was a shift to "shortcuts"; ergo a link for shortcuts. Now I see that I should of understood "email" as one of many shortcuts... buried in 6 pages of a thread.

I dig for answers to see if something is applicable to the FAQ.. and I would think FAQ is helpful to everyone.

The topic is Agent of Choice and so your comment seemed applicable to the topic and possibly to the FAQ.

[in another GVD thread, I asked Charles to post the link for something he listed... again, digging to see the source of his comment-- he told me it was in the instructions... ok, simple enough, but not obvious to me at first].

time to get off any high horse and stop fabricating criticism, which you say you don't worry about, yet continue to post defensively.