OT - PJ venting

Hi All,

Argh! I need to vent! <_< :( :(

Well, I've been working hard on the Candle Dating Application during my spare time. It works on my Windows XP machine at home. However, when I upload it to my production environment (Linux), I cannot get it to store/retrieve Chinese characters in mySQL. I have tried encoding them as ISO-8859-1, GB2312, BIG5, and UTF-8. Nothing seems to work.

*sigh* I know there's an answer to this and it's probably staring me right in the face. To everyone who really never wanted to learn about UTF-8, sorry about that ... I just needed to vent. :huh:

I feel better now. ;) :blush: ;)

Thanks,

P.J.

OK, you lost me completly, PJ. I was wishing you were here about 12 hours ago. We had a power outage while I was online and the result was that Win2000 would not boot. I reloaded windows, a pain, but I got it done. The problem was getting the ISDN connection back. I simply could not get a signal out of the computer no matter what I did. Checked all the connections, reloaded all the software, reset the connection to the server, nothing. Then my wife called the network (China NetCom) and while she was on the phone with them, I tried again and it worked. Still don't know why. I was up until 1:30 this morning working on it and spent several hours this morning starting at 6:30. Think I might actually take a nap this afternoon!

Of course now I have to reload all my favorite things. :lol:

OK, you lost me completly, PJ.  I was wishing you were here about 12 hours ago.  We had a power outage while I was online and the result was that Win2000 would not boot.  I reloaded windows, a pain, but I got it done.  The problem was getting the ISDN connection back.  I simply could not get a signal out of the computer no matter what I did.  Checked all the connections, reloaded all the software, reset the connection to the server, nothing.  Then my wife called the network (China NetCom) and while she was on the phone with them, I tried again and it worked.  Still don't know why.  I was up until 1:30 this morning working on it and spent several hours this morning starting at 6:30.  Think I might actually take a nap this afternoon!

Of course now I have to reload all my favorite things. :lol:

Glad you were able to get things up and running again Owen. One of the most frustrating parts of living over here is the power outages. And considering the fact that I am a computer imbecile, I have nighmares about encountering what you did. I have a surge protector that stores up to an hour of power (no not a Robert Schuller broadcast :lol: ) and , so far, that has prevented me from encountering problems from the frequent power outages.

Hi All,

Argh!  I need to vent! :)  :D  :greenblob:

Well, I've been working hard on the Candle Dating Application during my spare time.  It works on my Windows XP machine at home.  However, when I upload it to my production environment (Linux), I cannot get it to store/retrieve Chinese characters in mySQL.  I have tried encoding them as ISO-8859-1, GB2312, BIG5, and UTF-8.  Nothing seems to work. 

*sigh* I know there's an answer to this and it's probably staring me right in the face.  To everyone who really never wanted to learn about UTF-8, sorry about that ... I just needed to vent. :P

I feel better now. <_<  :blush:  :P 

Thanks,

P.J.

:blush: :blush: I think I'll wait a bit before getting excited about UTF-8.....

Owen,

Actually, I don't think you should wish I was there to help you with your computer problems. I'm the same one who forgot to plug my system into the wall and then dissected the *whole* machine trying to figure out what was wrong. :D :lol: :lol:

It was mass carnage ... chips and wires and jumpers everywhere ... oh my!

:lol:

P.J.

OK, I have to own up to it. Suddenly this afternoon I had the connection problem again. I even had one of the computer science graduate students over to try and solve it. No dice. Finally after hours of fighting it, I decided the problem had to be the ISDN modem.

Man, did I feel stupid. On closer checking, the power plug had come loose from the outlet.

Hey, maybe that is why there is a red LED "power" light on the box, huh?

OK, I have to own up to it.  Suddenly this afternoon I had the connection problem again.  I even had one of the computer science graduate students over to try and solve it.  No dice.  Finally after hours of fighting it, I decided the problem had to be the ISDN modem.

Man, did I feel stupid.  On closer checking, the power plug had come loose from the outlet.

Hey, maybe that is why there is a red LED "power" light on the box, huh?

Now I don't feel so bad Owen. Nice to know experts can have lapses in these matters. Now, about that Forums button...... :o :o :blink:

Hi All,

Argh!  I need to vent! :(  :(  :(

Well, I've been working hard on the Candle Dating Application during my spare time.  It works on my Windows XP machine at home.  However, when I upload it to my production environment (Linux), I cannot get it to store/retrieve Chinese characters in mySQL.  I have tried encoding them as ISO-8859-1, GB2312, BIG5, and UTF-8.  Nothing seems to work.  

*sigh* I know there's an answer to this and it's probably staring me right in the face.  To everyone who really never wanted to learn about UTF-8, sorry about that ... I just needed to vent.   :P

I feel better now.   :lol:  :D  :P  

Thanks,

P.J.

UTF-8 is a neat 'hack' to be able to make programs used to dealing with 8 bit streams deal with UTF easily. For db storage you will many times want to use UTF-16, especially when it is a field you will collate and search on, and when the other predominate language in storage is Asian, you will almost always want to use UTF-16, or you will use 33% more storage and slow down all the processing to boot. Since you mention you are coding with servlets you are already dealing with UTF-16 internally anyway, so you can save the converstion to and from UTF-8 that you do not really need anyway.

I am not sure any of the free db's support UTF-16 out of the box yet though.

Did you build mysql with utf-8 support? Is it even support? That page another poster showed, did not show utf-8 as an option. They also make some statements that show they do not really know this area well..

think about this statement they make "If you are using Chinese data in the so-called big5 encoding, you want to make all character columns BINARY. This works because the sorting order of big5 encoding characters is based on the order of ASCII codes.". It is nonsense since if you are using big5 you are not using ASCII per say.

I will also repeat, postgresql!! : - )

I'm still building this up to a system like I want.  I don't have the DVD-RW yet or I would have had a complete back up.  Maybe the UPS should come first though.

Since you mentioned one of your uses for your DVD-RW drive will be storing data and not just videos, I would recommend you get a drive that supports DVD-RAM for this use. You can get drives that support DVD-R, DVD-RW , and DVD-RAM.

The DVD-RAM is a fully seekable and rewritable format, what this means is you can in effect use it like a big zip drive for removable storage without the overhead of adding sessions and such to the formats that are really designed to write out a whole image at once.