Chinaisms - How the English language works

Thanks for the information. My wife Qing is coming to Jupiter on March 2nd to live. So it does not seem likely I will be back in China any time soon.

I found it quite easy in Guangzhou to satisfy my vegetarian preference even in most mainstream restaurants. They do cook the greens in lots of soy sauce and oils, something I am not used to. I am used to eating a lot of raw and steamed vegetsbles and tofu.

Most restaurants had fresh watermelon juice and some had fresh mango juice. Cannot get that here in US.

Ken

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tight chicken? Yes in Los Angeles all the Chinese restaurants catering to Chinese use roasters (older birds) because the meat isn't as mushy. Foster Farm raises fatty birds for the California market and the southern chicken with less fat in the skin is more like the Chinese ones. I have been in the food business for 28 years and in Los Angeles there are many ethnic groups that prefer different types of the same animal. It keeps it interesting down here.

Don't spend the money on free range because they aren't out enough to make any noticable difference. Chinese duck is also a little different than the French style usually sold here. In the U.S. there is a style called Buddhist exempt that you might be able to request from a butcher. This means the head and feet stay on the bird in violation of USDA regulations. Nothing wrong with it but it prevents USDA from doing some required inspection so it requires a religous exemption like Kosher and Halal.

Oh if she tells you she wants a black chicken to make medicinal soup, there are farmers in Oregon growing them. It is called a Silky. They are small like cornish hen and poussin but have a blue-black skin.  Poussin is a bird that might suit our ladies' tastes

The best chicken I have ever eaten comes from a Kosher grocer in Atlanta. Man, the flavor of that bird is so much better than that from big commercial growers.

I also ate some halal goat meat recently, a lot like mutton, delicious.

Very very interesting about the Buddhist exempt classification.

Tight chicken? Yes in Los Angeles all the Chinese restaurants catering to Chinese use roasters (older birds) because the meat isn't as mushy. Foster Farm raises fatty birds for the California market and the southern chicken with less fat in the skin is more like the Chinese ones. I have been in the food business for 28 years and in Los Angeles there are many ethnic groups that prefer different types of the same animal. It keeps it interesting down here.

Don't spend the money on free range because they aren't out enough to make any noticable difference. Chinese duck is also a little different than the French style usually sold here. In the U.S. there is a style called Buddhist exempt that you might be able to request from a butcher. This means the head and feet stay on the bird in violation of USDA regulations. Nothing wrong with it but it prevents USDA from doing some required inspection so it requires a religous exemption like Kosher and Halal.

Oh if she tells you she wants a black chicken to make medicinal soup, there are farmers in Oregon growing them. It is called a Silky. They are small like cornish hen and poussin but have a blue-black skin.  Poussin is a bird that might suit our ladies' tastes

The best chicken I have ever eaten comes from a Kosher grocer in Atlanta. Man, the flavor of that bird is so much better than that from big commercial growers.

People in china drive and ride busses long distances to get to GZ just to have (RUNNING CHINCKEN). not to be mistaken for chicken raised in a chage.

My wife tells me there is a big differance in tast. Im having a hard time swallowing this one.

• 4 months later...

Oh if she tells you she wants a black chicken to make medicinal soup, there are farmers in Oregon growing them. It is called a Silky. They are small like cornish hen and poussin but have a blue-black skin.  Poussin is a bird that might suit our ladies' tastes

People in china drive and ride busses long distances to get to GZ just to have (RUNNING CHINCKEN). not to be mistaken for chicken raised in a chage.

My wife tells me there is a big differance in tast. Im having a hard time swallowing this one.

96446[/snapback]

People in the U.S. pay 50 cents a pound more for the "free range chicken". Even though U.S. law allows them to be called this if it was the intention to let them out if they had lived long enough. The over 3.5 pounders actually are out for a week. But this makes very high priced chicken that sells well in markets and restaurants. Even though they were not out long enough to develop the leg muscles. (anyone notice that in America the dark meat no longer is?)

All the chickens I saw at homes were yard birds. Even saw a man walking his chickens in a park in Chongqing..

I always liked when i heard people tell me "Good Eve-nling"?

Or, "Can i use your naptop?" 

I always wondered, why in one case they cannot say the "n", and it is replaced with and "l" or "nl"? And, in the other case they don't say the "l" instead it's an "n"!!!! :(  :stupid:

83257[/snapback]

That's true. It's a commom problem for people from Sichuan & Hubei province, it's because of our dialect.

We can say them, and also we know the difference, but we just make the mistake unconciously.

It's like she/her and he/him.

I always wondered, why in one case they cannot say the "n", and it is replaced with and "l" or "nl"? And, in the other case they don't say the "l" instead it's an "n"!!!!   :P  :D

83257[/snapback]

That's true. It's a commom problem for people from Sichuan & Hubei province, it's because of our dialect.

We can say them, and also we know the difference, but we just make the mistake unconciously.

137541[/snapback]

Maybe Sichuan people talk that way because their tongue is burning up with hot pepper!!! :lol: :P

I am glad it looks like you read so much of this thread and found something to respond to. Welcome to Candle and we will be happy to see you post your thoughts again and again. Maybe you could find the time to tell us some of your story.

I always wondered, why in one case they cannot say the "n", and it is replaced with and "l" or "nl"? And, in the other case they don't say the "l" instead it's an "n"!!!! :(  :stupid:

83257[/snapback]

137541[/snapback]

The letters may look the same but the sounds are not. Initial consonants and integral consonants while written the same are not formed the same. People who use one language will apply the same tongue transition as in their own language to make the sound of another language.

Speaking is an athletic sport using many muscles. You have to practice and exercise those muscles until it becomes so natural there is no thought to doing it.