how important for me to be at interview

Hi just wanted to ask. For and opion on this .If my fiance has all of the proper documentation and i can not go into the interview does it really matter if i am there.I would like to be there to support her but she will need a month after the interview to quit job and spend time with family and prepare to move .If I go again to china before she come's here i owuld rather accompany her her on her flight I can not go for a week for interview and then anouther 4 weeks before she come 's here as well if they ask for more documentation I think it would be better if i was here to be able to ge these things to her .We do not have a interview date yet and would like to plan best approach to this situation .This has probally been discussed before in another topic I assume but have not been able to find

Hi just wanted to ask. For and opion on this .If my fiance has all of the proper documentation and i can not go into the interview does it really matter if i am there.I would like to be there to support her but she will need a month after the interview to quit job and spend time with family and prepare to move .If I go again to china before she come's here i owuld rather accompany her her on her flight I can not go for a week for interview and then anouther 4 weeks before she come 's here as well if they ask for more documentation I think it would be better if i was here to be able to ge these things to her .We do not have a interview date yet and would like to plan best approach to this situation .This has probally been discussed before  in another topic I assume but have not been able to find

223342[/snapback]

Try here

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17255

So, you can only pick one trip of the two...

Both will offer their own experience for the both of you... I would talk to her and see what she thinks.

Physically being there for the interview does not really affect the interview outcome, except that she is emotionally supported and shares it with you. You can try to bring over everything possible, but there could be items for overcome that you would not think to bring, and would need someone to retrieve..or wait till you home to do it.

If you go later, I assume you'll see her family and friends.. and then fly back with her... help get her through customs...

I would see her 'confidence level' with the interview; that is first and should be the priority view. She needs to get pass this for the second trip to be actualized.

If she is completely confident and doesn't see any need for your presences (and your sure that her "don't come" isn't disguise for "please come".. ) , in your case, I'd go on the second trip and come back with her...

Or maybe you could discuss being ready to leave after the interview. Have all of her loose ends tied up. Meet her in Guz a day or two early. Then travel to see the family and bring her home. That is what I'm planning. You said you have 4 weeks, think about it. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you. :D

I didn't show up at my wife's interview. I think as long as your wife is well prepared and you provide her with materials as complete as you can get, it should be alright.

Good luck!

Sorry for being off the topic a little bit...

David, I see your timeline that you file your AOS and EAD separately. I would like to get my wife the EAD as soon as possible so that she can get her SSN sooner. What would you advise? Should we send the EAD application and I-485 together, or like you send I-485 first, then file the EAD application later? Which way is better/faster for us (K3)?

Thanks a ton...

Guest pushbrk
Hi just wanted to ask. For and opion on this .If my fiance has all of the proper documentation and i can not go into the interview does it really matter if i am there.I would like to be there to support her but she will need a month after the interview to quit job and spend time with family and prepare to move .If I go again to china before she come's here i owuld rather accompany her her on her flight I can not go for a week for interview and then anouther 4 weeks before she come 's here as well if they ask for more documentation I think it would be better if i was here to be able to ge these things to her .We do not have a interview date yet and would like to plan best approach to this situation .This has probally been discussed before  in another topic I assume but have not been able to find

223342[/snapback]

The main reason for making the trip at interview time is to offer emotional support to your SO. Having all the documentation is important but her emotional preparation and confidence at that critical moment seem to outweigh other factors.

I can't be in China again soon, so I won't be at the interview or there to help them with travel. The best I'll be able to do travelwise is to meet them at Port of Entry. As such, my wife, step-daughter and I will be doing all we can to see that they are emotionally prepared to present an honest, friendly and confident image at interview time. I'll make sure they have as much local support at the time, including Mr. Yang meeting them at the train or bus station, staying in the Consulate building etc.

Fortunately, we've already produced a communication video if needed and I THINK I've been very diligent in both providing sufficient documentation and communicating the role of each document. We're now focusing on all the correct inflection and tone of the initial friendly, confident greeting at the interview window.

Since you have options, I think a frank discussion with your SO is the best way to arrive at the best decision for your circumstances.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)
I didn't show up at my wife's interview. I think as long as your wife is well prepared and you provide her with materials as complete as you can get, it should be alright.

Good luck!

Sorry for being off the topic a little bit...

David, I see your timeline that you file your AOS and EAD separately. I would like to get my wife the EAD as soon as possible so that she can get her SSN sooner. What would you advise? Should we send the EAD application and I-485 together, or like you send I-485 first, then file the EAD application later? Which way is better/faster for us (K3)?

Thanks a ton...

223362[/snapback]

I am sending in all five EAD/AOS/ In'tl travel docs at the same time. Maybe in different packages, maybe not, I am not sure yet. I still have about a month before my wife comes but she has her visa.

Edited by mercator (see edit history)

223342[/snapback]

The main reason for making the trip at interview time is to offer emotional support to your SO. Having all the documentation is important but her emotional preparation and confidence at that critical moment seem to outweigh other factors.

I can't be in China again soon, so I won't be at the interview or there to help them with travel. The best I'll be able to do travelwise is to meet them at Port of Entry. As such, my wife, step-daughter and I will be doing all we can to see that they are emotionally prepared to present an honest, friendly and confident image at interview time. I'll make sure they have as much local support at the time, including Mr. Yang meeting them at the train or bus station, staying in the Consulate building etc.

Fortunately, we've already produced a communication video if needed and I THINK I've been very diligent in both providing sufficient documentation and communicating the role of each document. We're now focusing on all the correct inflection and tone of the initial friendly, confident greeting at the interview window.

Since you have options, I think a frank discussion with your SO is the best way to arrive at the best decision for your circumstances.

223379[/snapback]

Like Push, I wasn't able to be there for the interview. I was on a project in Canada for work. I am also not going to be able to 'bring her home,' as the airfares are astronomical right now. She has a friend who got her K1 the same day she got her K3, so they are going to fly together. However, her friend mistakely chose the UPS option, and her passport is en route to her hometown of zhenjiang, which is quite a ways from her town of residence, which is shenzen. OOPS! My wife lives in GZ so she opted to pick up her passport, and I HIGHLY recommend this choice to anyone who is in GZ, or can stay an extra two days for the peace of mind having that thing IN HAND brings to your SO and yourself too. We're waiting on her to get our tickets, hoping the price doesn't skyrocket to stratospheric levels before she knows it is safely at her folks' house.

My wife and I 'studied" for the interview a bit. and I did what I could to bolster her confidence. She is a smart and wise woman anyway, so it didn't take much. She was ready, and got her visa without difficulty. She is confident about the trip as well, and all we wait on is the date it will happen. The two of them will probably chat the whole way, and between the two of them negotiate the Narita or Seoul airport (depending on the flight) together. I told her about the I-94 and the medical paperwork being of critical importance. POE will most likely be Seattle, and I will meet her there and we'll fly on to Spokane. That way I can be 'inside' the airport as a ticketed passenger, and our drive home is only 2 hours, versus 10.

Early on, I wanted to be there for the interview, but like most said it is more of a cheerleader role. You aren't present in the room for the interview. Heck, you aren't necessarily even in the consulate itself, but waiting outside. I don't know what bearing it would have on the interview, but it did not seem to affect ours any. If the ticket prices weren't over $2000 for me, I would probably join her on the flight. Since they are, I am not going to do it, and the bonus is that my left over vacation can be used to acclimate her to the US and to show her some of the sights, relatives, and shopping so she is as comfortable in her new setting as she can be.

I also was not there for my SO interview , however, I do feel if your SO level of confidence is there, she will do o.k. I really think if one cannot be there that you get your SO prepared to handle any question. I also found it helpful that she understand a "blue slip" is just another need for further proof to overcome. It was not the end of the world if she got one. I think this helped her be a little more relaxed. However, as it turned out only 5 questions were ask at the interview and she was given a red form approval

Yes. I often told my wife that if she didnt get the visa right away it was no big deal. We'd get the information they needed and move on.

This calmed her quite a bit, and she said her confidence level was high. She looked around at the people who were clueless, and in helping them, she felt confident she knew what she was doing. She had 3 bags of paperwork, where some people had small envelopes. She knew she was prepared and it made her feel really good going in there.

I'm a firm believer in being there for the interview if you can. I think in some cases it does make a difference. I think handing the VO your passport and telling them you are waiting outside is strong evidence of relationship. In many cases if there is a blue slip being there helps speed up the overcome provided you have the evidence they are asking for. It is not a sure thing to get a visa of course. Nothing is but I think the percentage over the years of people who went to the interveiw is better than those who didn't.

Go if you can. Have your SO bring your stamped passport on the top of the documents she brings. It is a little extra and can't hurt. Also your being there provides support for your SO and adds confidence. If you can afford the flight and get the time off GO. This is an important step.

Guest ShaQuaNew

If you can be there, you can certainly be a support to one another as it makes communicating about paperwork and interview questions a shorter hurdle. Because I do not have unlimited funds and a bottomless pit of vacation time, my SO and I decided to split our trips a little differently.

Not all situations are alike. Some have partners that speak English very well, and others do not. I am fortunate in that my SO speaks very good English, so that we are able to communicate well over the telephone. Many times an image will help, so I've taken the time to prepare comprehensive documents to assist her understanding of the process. Not real wordy stuff, a picture or two at a time with circles and arrows suffices.

For those whose SO is weak in English and English communication skills, you must make the determination whether your partner is providing you confidence that they will handle the interview and paperwork well. You must weigh this by having an outstanding understanding of what's required in the process, and what may be needed to overcome. The process is really not all that difficult, so preparing for the eventual interview date ad-nauseum will only benefit you both. Watch and listen carefully. Get feedback from your partner. Is your partner the sort of person that will say yes, when they mean no just to please you?

My partner is a professional, educated, and has worked with the public for many years, so the interview process and questioning is not something new. I talked briefly about my going to China to meet for the interview, but was quickly assured that we could better spend the money elsewhere. Our confidence level is high, but only because we communicate and work extremely well together. Still, I will be biting my nails when that interview is happening, and from miles away will be waiting to hear the good news.