In our case at least, maintaining the relationship has not been a problem. Other people even often comment on what a good relationship we have. that is not to say that we don't have to work on keeping such a good relationship. That is a constant work for everyone who is married.

Finding each other was not "difficult" for us as neither of us was looking for a partner at the time. Rather it was the idea of my wife's brother. It was rather difficult for him to convince us that we should write each other though.

To me the greatest challenge is continuing the relationship just because that is something that will go on for many years into the future. We have already been married longer than we were "courting" and there are many more years to come.

After much experience in trying to find my soulmate, I have, in retrospect, become convinced that we don't find love, love finds us. I know that was true in our case. I agree with Owen that maintaining the relationship is the harder part. Yet if there is a real commitment between two people, then the process is easier and parting is not an option. Li and I have a great relationship but it is not without conflict sometimes. Yet it is through these conflicts, rare that they are, that we grow and become even more bonded.

For me, I would say: very hard to find a soulmate in these days. After 6 years looking i finally met my soulmate. But I think the first few years of keeping relationship also very hard too, cauz different culture and backgroud also the trace of growing up, all showing up try to take a winner seat. The first few years if going well, the relationship could last, if not, well...

• 2 weeks later...

Since I am the one who posed the question, I will give my won personal answer. I am of the opinion that it is much more difficult to find your true soulmate and endure the visa delay fiasco, than it is to maintain the relationship. That is not to say that some effort will not be required to maintain any relationship. READ MY FULL POST ON THIS TOPIC here in the C&L forum. I hope to hear more opinions on this. :blink:

Post from Mick...//snip ...I agree with Owen that maintaining the relationship is the harder part.

I agree too...

Meeting someone take a few weeks/ months...By faith or whatever each of us believe why it happened..

But nurturing/ honoring / "making it work", developing, ironing out a relationship will last till the day you die...

Enuff said...

:P

Back to our regular program...... This interlude was brought to you by Mc Donald, a well known "FREEDOM FRIES" maker :blink:

I've heard it said:  romance only kick-starts a relationship. After that, you must learn how to become a couple.

let's be realistic and honest.. MOST romances start by an external appearance.. You know.... Cute guy, Cute Gal, even before you can utter a word to each other... The rest, well, rest in our personalities.. :-)

And Yes, LEARNING to be a couple is a key here.. It is difficult... but thou shall harvest thy seed LOL Damn! I speak LATIN now ! I'll try that on Yuhui.... I'll keep you kids posted on the effectivness of a DEAD language ( with a French accent ) on a cute babe with a heck of a lot of national history that most countries can claim.. Wish me luck ! :P