husband's income

I was going through the Frequently Asked Questions by VO for the interview . I am uncertain about one of the questions as 'How much is his salary'. i work as an oracle ERP consultant in china and have got pretty decent pay, my husband is a graduate student, he is working 3 temperary jobs now.we have been financially independent so far. so we have never thought to ask each other's salary. However at this moment, it seems i have to bring the embarassing question up. could you please advise how i could ask so that my husband would not think i am the nosy one?

by the way forget the interview and vo, is it a problem if we dont know each other's income?

Edited by march (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
I was going through the Frequently Asked Questions by VO for the interview . I am uncertain about one of the questions as 'How much is his salary'.  i work as an oracle ERP consultant in china and have got pretty decent pay, my husband is a graduate student, he is working 3 temperary jobs now.we have been financially independent so far. so we have never thought to ask each other's salary. However at this moment, it seems i have to bring the embarassing question up. could you please advise how i could ask so that my husband would not think i am  the nosy one?

by the way forget the interview and vo, is it a problem if we dont know each other's income?

221418[/snapback]

Laogoog,

I see that one of the frequently asked questions at interview is husband's salary. I don't know the answer. What shall I say?

I was going through the Frequently Asked Questions by VO for the interview . I am uncertain about one of the questions as 'How much is his salary'.  i work as an oracle ERP consultant in china and have got pretty decent pay, my husband is a graduate student, he is working 3 temperary jobs now.we have been financially independent so far. so we have never thought to ask each other's salary. However at this moment, it seems i have to bring the embarassing question up. could you please advise how i could ask so that my husband would not think i am  the nosy one?

221418[/snapback]

Laogoog,

I see that one of the frequently asked questions at interview is husband's salary. I don't know the answer. What shall I say?

221423[/snapback]

it sounds working :blink: Thank you. but in what tone ? tell the truth i have been really curious about the number. :hug:

221418[/snapback]

Laogoog,

221423[/snapback]

it sounds working :blink: Thank you. but in what tone ? tell the truth i have been really curious about the number. ;)

221426[/snapback]

Perhaps the tone of preparing for the interview, more along the lines of a side note item.

It will probably be less than Oracle maintenance fees, but then most incomes fall into that cateogry. :hug:

Guest pushbrk
I was going through the Frequently Asked Questions by VO for the interview . I am uncertain about one of the questions as 'How much is his salary'.?i work as an oracle ERP consultant in china and have got pretty decent pay, my husband is a graduate student, he is working 3 temperary jobs now.we have been financially independent so far. so we have never thought to ask each other's salary. However at this moment, it seems i have to bring the embarassing question up. could you please advise how i could ask so that my husband would not think i am?the nosy one?

221418[/snapback]

Laogoog,

221423[/snapback]

it sounds working :P Thank you. but in what tone ? tell the truth i have been really curious about the number. ;)

221426[/snapback]

Perhaps the tone of preparing for the interview, more along the lines of a side note item.

It will probably be less than Oracle maintenance fees, but then most incomes fall into that cateogry. :P

221434[/snapback]

I understand your natural curiosity but as Lee says, just add it to a list of questions when discussing interview preparation. Whether you are curious or not, you need to know for the interview.

If you haven't already discussed it though, Tony is right. Your husband will need to send you his 2005 tax return in preparation for the interview. Now is the time to be preparing all the final papers including relationship proof, tax forms etc. anyway.

I was going through the Frequently Asked Questions by VO for the interview . I am uncertain about one of the questions as 'How much is his salary'.?i work as an oracle ERP consultant in china and have got pretty decent pay, my husband is a graduate student, he is working 3 temperary jobs now.we have been financially independent so far. so we have never thought to ask each other's salary. However at this moment, it seems i have to bring the embarassing question up. could you please advise how i could ask so that my husband would not think i am?the nosy one?

221418[/snapback]

Laogoog,

221423[/snapback]

it sounds working :P Thank you. but in what tone ? tell the truth i have been really curious about the number. ;)

221426[/snapback]

It will probably be less than Oracle maintenance fees, but then most incomes fall into that cateogry. :P

221434[/snapback]

I understand your natural curiosity but as Lee says, just add it to a list of questions when discussing interview preparation. Whether you are curious or not, you need to know for the interview.

If you haven't already discussed it though, Tony is right. Your husband will need to send you his 2005 tax return in preparation for the interview. Now is the time to be preparing all the final papers including relationship proof, tax forms etc. anyway.

221439[/snapback]

As an Oracle ERP consultant the income for support is more of a moot point, especially in the US where they can make a 6 figure income in the right location.

But the affidavit of support should answer that question as well.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

Talking about income I think it's not an embarassing topic between wife and husband,money is important part,before you go to the interview,you need his tax papers for last 3years,so you'll know his salary without asking him.

As you are oracle ERP (SAP system?I have been working on it for 1year)consultant,i know you make big money(my company pays much for consultants)i think it's better to keep it in low key,so VO will see you love your husband not for his money,just my two cents.

221418[/snapback]

In my own case, it is more than one problem if my wife and I do not have complete, open and frank discussions about everything. One of our mottos is "no secrets." Afterall, you are not going to be roommates. Husband & wife, forever together, honor and cherish and all that stuff is not just rhetoric.

Thanks all for the suggestion. I am planning to have an open talk about it as a wife.  :rolleyes:

221606[/snapback]

It's simple "Honey, I need a copy of your Income Tax Returrn, for visa interview." All the figures are on Form 1040 and W2.

Thanks all for the suggestion. I am planning to have an open talk about it as a wife.0„2 :rolleyes:

221606[/snapback]

It's simple "Honey, I need a copy of your Income Tax Returrn, for visa interview." All the figures are on Form 1040 and W2.

221781[/snapback]

But her Chinese husband never filed income tax in the US. :lol:

Guest pushbrk
Thanks all for the suggestion. I am planning to have an open talk about it as a wife.?? :ph34r:

221606[/snapback]

221781[/snapback]

But her Chinese husband never filed income tax in the US. :o

221788[/snapback]

I've always thought March was the Chinese wife and the husband was in the USA. He sure doesn't LOOK Chinese but she does. :blink:

Many problems arise over money in marriages. This is one of the things you should find out before, not after marriage. He should not hold it against you for asking as it is not like you are asking for money, just information for your interview.

Other things that should be discussed is if you want kids, where do you want to live and will you both work. I am sure there are many more but the thing is you need to be open with eachother and not afraid of the other partner.

Many problems arise over money in marriages. This is one of the things you should find out before, not after marriage. He should not hold it against you for asking as it is not like you are asking for money, just information for your interview.

Other things that should be discussed is if you want kids, where do you want to live and will you both work. I am sure there are many more but the thing is you need to be open with eachother and not afraid of the other partner.

222129[/snapback]

OK, just for fun, I did an internet search and found:

Questions Women Should Ask Before the Marriage.

By Lori Anderson

Every bride should ask herself the following questions and listen hard to her own answers.

Why are you getting married?

Marriage can appear to be a cure for loneliness. If you are marrying as an effort to counteract loneliness, however, you need to get comfortable with yourself first. Marriage has never been a cure for loneliness.

Is your biological clock running out?

A fear that time is running out for your biological clock sounds logical, but it is not a good reason for marriage.

Is this your last chance?

If you are secretly afraid that no one else will ever want or ask or agree to marry you again, build up your self-confidence first. It is never your last chance and that is no reason for marriage.

How long has he lived alone without a woman to cook, clean, and pick up after him?

If the answer is never, watch out. You may become the woman who is expected to cater to him. You may be cooking, cleaning, and generally being mommy or the maid!

How does his abode look?

If it is a total disaster, will you be able to deal with this messy man? You may spend your life cleaning up after him. On the other hand, if it is immaculate, can you handle this? You are probably dealing with a perfectionist. Will you be able to please this perfectionist?

Are you listening?

Listen to your answers! It is never too late to call off or postpone a wedding. It is certainly much easier to be embarrassed now than it is to be divorced later!