I just saw another thread where there was talk about Chinese people showing the V sign, the 'peace' or 'victory' sign.

It added to my list of things that make me feel like China is in the era that America was during the '60s and '70s.

-I go to a store to buy something, and am handed a 'carbon copy' reciept

-Most people only use cash. ATM's and credit card vendors are not so common

-Chinese TV shows have these colorful 'backdrops' that remind me of Rowan and Martins Laughin, game shows from the late 60's, or record album covers

-Many Chinese homes do not have computers

-I saw Randy W's pic in another thread with a lady showing the 'V'

I dont know what it is, but when I am in China, I really feel like I stepped back in time. I know China is catching up to the rest of the world economically and socially, and so there could be reasons for this, but it is still strange nevertheless.

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew
I dont know what it is, but when I am in China, I really feel like I stepped back in time. I know China is catching up to the rest of the world economically and socially, and so there could be reasons for this, but it is still strange nevertheless.

217594[/snapback]

I never really viewed China as being "behind" or having to catch up. While the West has made many advances technologically, social advances trail those in China. The West has a lot to learn from China. Perhaps we will catch up soon.... ;)

I once described China to my mom as reliving the 50's. Sure there are modern things like cell phones and computer, etc., but the overall feel at the individual level for me is like the 50's. Washing machine but few dryers, maybe an air conditioner but more likely a fan. Maybe a credit card but more likely cash. Maybe a personal car but more likely a bus or a walk. Maybe a nice singles apartment but more likely an extended family dwelling. Maybe an expensive dinner but more likely a family gathering. Maybe a night out on the town but more likely a walk in the cool of the evening or sitting on the front stoop. Maybe a computer game but more likely cards or ma jiang with family or friends. Maybe going to a swanky bar but more likely drinking a cold beer with a buddy and shooting the bull.

I once described China to my mom as reliving the 50's.  Sure there are modern things like cell phones and computer, etc., but the overall feel at the individual level for me is like the 50's.  Washing machine but few dryers, maybe an air conditioner but more likely a fan.  Maybe a credit card but more likely cash.  Maybe a personal car but more likely a bus or a walk.  Maybe a nice singles apartment but more likely an extended family dwelling.  Maybe an expensive dinner but more likely a family gathering.  Maybe a night out on the town but more likely a walk in the cool of the evening or sitting on the front stoop.  Maybe a computer game but more likely cards or ma jiang with family or friends.  Maybe going to a swanky bar but more likely drinking a cold beer with a buddy and shooting the bull.

217620[/snapback]

Nicely worded Frank, thats about how I feel. However, I only can relate to the 60's and 70's. Born in '58, I was only 1 or 2 in the 50's so my memory is a little jaded of that time.

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

Ken, the peace sign is a bit of Chinese pop culture that is often shown to Americans.

The origin of this pop culture legend comes from the USA, who would have thought that Richard Nixon exiting his plane in China on his first trip showing the peace sign would have such a long lasting affect. :lol:

Funny how something so minor in a persons life can affect people for decades, wonder what we would see if he had only waved? :)

Enjoy it while you can guys. My first trip to Japan was in 1969 and it was like the 40's 50's. An agrarian society quickly moving to the cities trying to catch up with the U.S. By 1980 it had caught up and was soon to pass. China also will change quickly. In fact it is currently regarded as changing much faster than Japan did.

One nice thing I remember on my first visit was that none of the friends whose homes I visited had a lock on the door (some doors were paper). They even left doors and windows open when they went out. By the 90's I didn't know anyone who didn't dead bolt their doors.

Sometimes I think our "progress" is decidedly backwards... I also felt this taste of bygone time in china, and it really made me feel as if we are moving in the wrong direction... as if I didn't already think that :P

I once described China to my mom as reliving the 50's.  Sure there are modern things like cell phones and computer, etc., but the overall feel at the individual level for me is like the 50's.  Washing machine but few dryers, maybe an air conditioner but more likely a fan.  Maybe a credit card but more likely cash.  Maybe a personal car but more likely a bus or a walk.  Maybe a nice singles apartment but more likely an extended family dwelling.  Maybe an expensive dinner but more likely a family gathering.  Maybe a night out on the town but more likely a walk in the cool of the evening or sitting on the front stoop.  Maybe a computer game but more likely cards or ma jiang with family or friends.  Maybe going to a swanky bar but more likely drinking a cold beer with a buddy and shooting the bull.

217620[/snapback]

I agree. like the 50's.

Also with the glorification of smoking like 50's TV and movies. I think the mentality is there too. Divorce is still frowned on, wives are sweettalked by their husbands, women are gentile and ladylike, while being the boss behind the scenes, etc.

50's trying to build the biggest baddest hugest, regardless of the enviro cost, huge factories churning out all kinds of nasties, and a budding space program to boot!

Edited by mercator (see edit history)

217620[/snapback]

I agree. like the 50's.

Also with the glorification of smoking like 50's TV and movies. I think the mentality is there too. Divorce is still frowned on, wives are sweettalked by their husbands, women are gentile and ladylike, while being the boss behind the scenes, etc.

50's trying to build the biggest baddest hugest, regardless of the enviro cost, huge factories churning out all kinds of nasties, and a budding space program to boot!

218385[/snapback]

What Frank and Kenn said...I really like the fact that people all dress well...After my first trip to China I came home and reported that the beggars in China were better dressed than the average American...which is exactly like the 50's when people all tried to look their best.

Dressed well?????? I haven't been to the south but anywhere we went casual dress was the rule. Jeans and T shirts were common. In one city I was surprised by the number of women in their twenties showing the midriff and sporting tatoos. In Beijing I had to keep telling myself this isn't L.A. There were guys in baggy cut offs, oversized T Shirts and Red or Green spiked hair (Yes they were Chinese). However I did see many women in nice outfits wearing spiked heels or platforms. Older men often had on suits. Even meeting government officials in Hubei Sheng the dress was polo shirts and slacks.

Come gather 'round people

Wherever you roam

And admit that the waters

Around you have grown

And accept it that soon

You'll be drenched to the bone.

If your time to you

Is worth savin'

Then you better start swimmin'

Or you'll sink like a stone

For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics