Confused Again

:eyebrow: WOW! The rules aren't really rules then, just in reality, *guidelines* for the VO. I must start looking outside the box more often!!!

Thanks

Rick and Yanlan

:o  WOW! The rules aren't really rules then, just in reality, *guidelines* for the VO. I must start looking outside the box more often!!!

Thanks

Rick and Yanlan

221040[/snapback]

Well actually the rules are the rules, but then they give wide latitude to the VO's and IO's within the process. Trigg made this discovery when he was faced with the same request for AOS.

There are 3 basic reasons that should be used when requesting a new medical exam:

1. They have misplaced or lost the original.

2. They have issues with the original that was supplied.

3. They have reason to believe the original medical condition has changed.

But they do not tell us the reason for their requests.

let me clarify the med exam situation. My wifes med exam was over a year old when we finally got an AOS interview date. I noticed this the day before we had to make a 400 mile round trip drive to the interview so I called UCIS. I explained the situation to the 'rep' who took my call. She said that if you apply for AOS before the exam is a year old that it is still valid. However, at that time a CFL member had been told to get a med exam for his wife 3 months after she had taken a physical in GZ. I asked about this and she new nothing so I asked for her supervisor--then asked for the supervisors supervisor-as i wanted to get the real info.

The higher up person was very bright and straightforward. She said that although the rule says 'good for one year' that the VO has total complete discretion to either ask for another at any time they choose to OR waive a physical exam should they see fit to.

In other words we have extremely strict rules at UCIS but we don't need to adhere to them-you do.

This was from the horses mouth!.

let me clarify the med exam situation. My wifes med exam was over a year old when we finally got an AOS interview date. I noticed this the day before we had to make a 400 mile round trip drive to the interview so I called UCIS.  I explained the situation to the 'rep' who took my call. She said that if you apply for AOS before the exam is a year old that it is still valid. However, at that time a CFL member had been told to get a med exam for his wife 3 months after she had taken a physical in GZ. I asked about this and she new nothing so I asked for her supervisor--then asked for the supervisors supervisor-as i wanted to get the real info.

The higher up person was very bright and straightforward. She said that although the rule says 'good for one year' that the VO has total complete discretion to either ask for another at any time they choose to OR waive a physical exam should they see fit to.

In other words we have extremely strict rules at UCIS but we don't need to adhere to them-you do.

This was from the horses mouth!.

221054[/snapback]

Ah, so good to hear from the Trigginator!!!!!

Li has had several physicals at the request of INS/BCIS/USCIS/AND A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE.....

You don't want me to get into the fingerprint issue..... :rolleyes:

Seriously, Trigg is right. They can, and do, ask for whatever they want, whenever they want.

Well I stand corrected.

I still think, however, that if the medical exam is less than one year old that it is likely that the person you speak to on the 1-800 number simply doesn't know what is really in your file and is just telling you what to do to be "safe" --- as was the case with us and going for a second biometrics/fingerprinting appointment, despite the fact that our records were in the file. But still, to be safe, getting the medical done again unless you hear otherwise is a good idea.

Our friends in Boston got past the AOS application stage only to be RFE'd at the end of the interview because the 'medical file was lost.'

Logic does not apply. How did they get a visa, get past immigration and get scheduled for the AOS interview without a medical file? It is a rhetorical question not worth pondering.

• 2 weeks later...
Lee

Since meds are sealed by the Doctor themselves, wouldn't they by law be good for a year. as told by website?

Rick and Yanlan

221030[/snapback]

The medical exam is good for one year, unless they ask for another exam for whatever reason. this is not the first time someone is asked to provide a new exam for AOS and probably won't be the last. :angry:

The best we can hope for is to get through the process the fastest and easiest way possible.

221033[/snapback]

Thank everyone for the advice. We ended up doing another physical and sent it in last week. I got an email today saying:

Current Status:

We received your response to our request for evidence or information. However because preliminary processing was complete, the remaining processing time will be less than the maximum stated in this message. You will receive a written decision on this case. You can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done. Follow the link below for current processing dates.

Light at the end of the tunnel?

Edited by Tian9426 (see edit history)
Thank everyone for the advice.  We ended up doing another physical and sent it in last week.  I got an email today saying:

Current Status: 

We received your response to our request for evidence or information. However because preliminary processing was complete, the remaining processing time will be less than the maximum stated in this message. You will receive a written decision on this case. You can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done. Follow the link below for current processing dates.

224513[/snapback]

That's good language and might even suggest approval without an interview. You're getting close. Good luck.

• 3 months later...
Thank everyone for the advice.  We ended up doing another physical and sent it in last week.  I got an email today saying:

Current Status: 

224513[/snapback]

That's good language and might even suggest approval without an interview. You're getting close. Good luck.

Hi Everyone: It has been four months since we sent in our response. Nothing happen so far. What Shall we do? Thanks a lot

Edited by Tian9426 (see edit history)

Current Status: 

224513[/snapback]

Hi Everyone: It has been four months since we sent in our response. Nothing happen so far. What Shall we do? Thanks a lot

You might consider making an Infopass appointment to speak with an IO at your District Office and take your files with you. The IO's are the only ones able to access your case on the computer and discuss this with the two of you. If you didn't file a G-28 with the AOS paperwork your wife will have to give them verbal permission to discuss this with you and hopefully you can get an idea of where you stand.