Advice would be appreciated :)

Okay guys, here's my situation. Naturally, since my wife and I are across the world from eachother, neither one of us is too happy at the moment. (Like most everyone here, I know :P ) I'm an adult, I can deal with the wait if I must. However... I'm selling my house, and although I'm not making a huge windfall since I haven't lived there for a very long time, it is enough to make me think...

If I go to China to wait there with my wife for her interview on the L multiple entry visa, how much will this hurt her chances at the interview? I can still supply 3 years of taxable income, and show money in the bank left over from the house payment ( I know how to be cheap and save money when needed hehe ) but likely I won't have a job unless I can find a temp one in China... and then when I return stateside I won't have a job then either.

Help me out here guys :)

James

You will need to show that you have either income or sufficient assets to convince the VO that your SO will not become a burden on the state. Without a job lined up or sufficient assets you may need a co-sponsor.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

If it were me... and the assumption that I was selling the house and going to go to china...

1. Decide if:

--a. I want to be there on an L visa, which will not reduce your processing time.. you'll still file in the US and wait about a year or more...

--b. I want to figure out some way to get a job there, however small, as long as it bestowed me with a Z-visa (work permit) [maybe your wife knows a friend who knows friend who can arrange this :mf_sleep:]... then you can file in China and cut the process down to maybe 6-8 months...

I'm sure that the previous years income is covered.. and Carl pointed out the need for a joint-sponsor (which is not uncommon)...

If you go with an L visa, then I would consider to make a trip back to the US during that time to attempt to setup some work.. or consider that. If your able to line anything up (maybe you know a friend who knows a friend) , then you might not need the joint-sponsor.

Based on what you've stated, I wouldn't do it.

Stay in the US, working and build for the future. Your lady will deeply appreciate fiancial security. Visit her every few months for a week ... vacation without pay if necessary, I think that would be the best way to use part of the house equity. Prepare like crazy and be sure to be there for the interview.

Guest pushbrk
Okay guys, here's my situation.  Naturally, since my wife and I are across the world from eachother, neither one of us is too happy at the moment.  (Like most everyone here, I know :ph34r: ) I'm an adult, I can deal  with the wait if I must.  However... I'm selling my house, and although I'm not making a huge windfall since I haven't lived there for a very long time, it is enough to make me think...

If I go to China to wait there with my wife for her interview on the L multiple entry visa, how much will this hurt her chances at the interview?  I can still supply 3 years of taxable income, and show money in the bank left over from the house payment ( I know how to be cheap and save money when needed hehe )  but likely I won't have a job unless I can find a temp one in China... and then when I return stateside I won't have a job then either.

Help me out here guys :roller:

James

216188[/snapback]

Others have addressed the visa issues well. Since you asked for opinions about whether to go or stay, I would say stay and do as Jim suggests.

However, if your situation is such that getting a satisfactory job is very easy when you return, AND you'll still have sufficient liquid assets to be sure of financial security if you go, then that would certainly weigh somewhat heavily in the other direction.

A middle ground might be to arrange a leave of absence from your current job or an extended stay somewhere in the middle of the process (a few weeks maybe) and a 3 or 4 week stay at the time of the interview and for packing and travel to the USA.

I would also advise you to pay great attention to HER opinion in this matter.

Stay in the US, working and build for the future.  Your lady will deeply appreciate fiancial security.  Visit her every few months for a week ... vacation without pay if necessary, I think that would be the best way to use part of the house equity.  Prepare like crazy and be sure to be there for the interview.

216259[/snapback]

Very well said...

No advice, but how about my opinion?

I too thought about selling and moving, but the best future is staying in America building your financial freedom for possibly retiring in China. My SO was the one whom advised me to stay and prepare for our future, even though she starts crying after a few weeks of not seeing me. A few months of separation is a great trade off to a lifetime of companionship, especially with some money.

I also agree with going to China every couple of months, even without pay. I’ve done it and I continue to do it. Not just because of my sweetheart, or that I used to live there, but also because I like China. :whistling:

Stay in the US, working and build for the future.  Your lady will deeply appreciate fiancial security.  Visit her every few months for a week ... vacation without pay if necessary, I think that would be the best way to use part of the house equity.  Prepare like crazy and be sure to be there for the interview.

216259[/snapback]

I agree. Stay, we all know how painful that is.

PS I was ready to do the same thing last year about this time while the CR1 was in the CSC black hole.

Check with an accountant about the house money and how much you get to keep. If you owned it and lived in it any 2 of the last 5 years you are entitled to a large exemption.

If you are granted a multiple entry visa good for 90 days each entry will you try to extend each stay, or leave? If you leave, how many times would you return? How much are you willing to spend travelling back and forth?

What will you do all day if you cannot work and, will your wife be tempted to quit working to 'take good care of you?'

Guest pushbrk

If you are granted a multiple entry visa good for 90 days each entry will you try to extend each stay, or leave?  If you leave, how many times would you return?  How much are you willing to spend travelling back and forth?

216439[/snapback]

Since he has a "wife" in China, he can get a visa good for a full year.

216259[/snapback]

Good advice. I think when our SO's are so far away, we naturally try to come up with all kinds of schemes to be with them, and while we may gain some time, we could lose something in return.

I was about ready to quit my job and move there, however, our thinking was this: We have to wait XX # of months more. If I quit my job and come now, yes, we will be together for those few months. However, that time together will pass and the day of reckoning will come when we have to deal with the sacrifice made to be together. When that time comes will we look back and say it was worth it, or will we regret this decision and think "why didnt we just wait".

In my opinion, just wait, and try to visit her as often as you can. When she gets her interview, I think you both will look back and be glad you waited.

To answer a few of the questions... what has prompted this train of thought is that she asked me to think of something to help make it easier for her... she often says: " I wish you could come here" I know she would make any sacrifice for me, and I feel the same, however I often remind her that a hasty decision now can lead to problems later. Still, it hurts me to see her so unhappy and I feel I would be remiss if I didn't at least look into the options. That way, if I decide it can't/shouldn't be done it was after proper thought and not just a quick decision without ample justification. She deserves more than that. That's why I asked you guys for advice... combined experience with the process far outweighs my own research and gives me insights that I may not come up with on my own, and I thank you all for it! As for what I would do while there, home alone while she worked... actually in many ways that would benifit me, because it would give me the time I have been craving for a long time to focus on my writing. Working full time and trying to advance my lengthy book project at once have proven to be quite a handful! It's definitely going to get finished, but it could certainly be faster. As far as taxes go, I'm in the friendly ground of not having to pay capital gains due to it being primary residence for at least 2 years and meeting the other requirements, they are only charging me sales tax. On the other hand, my first impulse was to invest that money and add to it until we could afford a house in china, spending it now would seriously delay that plan. The rational part of me says just wait it out, wipe away the tears when they come, and invest in a few 15 month CD's. The other part of me says... how can you allow her to be so sad when you have the means to do something... damn those internal guilt trips. Of course, the other factor is that the idea of moving to china for a while sounds like a grand adventure, the time I have spent there so far has been very fun... well, except for the 30 days spent very ill from antibiotic resistant bacterial infection...

I thank you all for taking the time to answer, I knew I'd get some good feedback :roller: Oh and I forgot to mention her view on financial security... every time I bring it up, she informs me about how she is going to take care of that, for me not to worry about it. I disagree, I take responsibility for her happiness, comfort and safety, but its sure endearing to hear her say it!!!

Another option to look into is the F visa. Lengths of stay up to one year are easily obtained in Hong Kong (through an agency, not marching up to the consulate yourself). You don't have to leave or apply for an extension of stay every 30 days like you would on an L visa obtained in the US. A D visa is an option too, but I've heard the paperwork is a such a hassle many people who are technically eligible for a D just buy an F in HK anyway.

FYI ... L visa's don't have to be limited to 30 day stays. I have a one year multi entry L visa with 60 day stays ... just because I asked for it. I wouldn't be surprised if they would also give 90 day stays.

No justification, no mention of fiancee, just asked for a tourist visa to visit friends.