Interview Monday

I've got to get my paperwork together and go through the questions with my wife once more. I'm dragging my attorney with me on a 8:30 appointment to use her as an interpreter if I need her. I only did this just in case the interviewer wasn't sure if I was interpreting or answering for my wife.

After reading Dennis' interview I'm starting to have second thoughts about this. Now it's the weekend and I wouldn't be able to contact my attorney to cancel it anyway. At first my attorney was reluctant to go but finally agreed. She's running for judge so I guess she could use another vote from me. Now, I just don't know if this is going to help or hurt us having our attorney present at the interview. I guess what's done is done.

Don't sweat it, the questions on the I-485 would require translation and you can mention that she is required to bring a translator by the USCIS as she has a Limited English Proficiency and the questions they are required to ask are not in simple english and a good understanding of those questions many time requires a US law degree. :clapping:

If you have some sarcasm available you could always ask why the USCIS avoids providing a translator as defined by Executive Order 13166. :P

We also had an interpreter. The only relevant, in fact the only, question to her was "Are you the interpreter?"

You should do fine. As with the first interview for K-1 try to get your wife to relax. You too, by the way. If you have a work permit card be prepared to surrender it.

I wouldn't sweat it. They may not like you bringing an interpreter, but I doubt they will make an issue of it with yours also being your attorney. Even government employees know that attorneys can be a pain, and the last thing a bureaucrat wants is to have to explain themselves to someone who may know the laws better than they do. hehehehe

P.S. I am almost to 200 posts!!!!!

Don't sweat it, the questions on the I-485 would require translation and you can mention that she is required to bring a translator by the USCIS  as she has a Limited English Proficiency and the questions they are required to ask are not in simple english and a good understanding of those questions many time requires a US law degree.  :unsure:

If you have some sarcasm available you could always ask why the USCIS avoids providing a translator as defined by Executive Order 13166. ;)

214564[/snapback]

I have to agree. As long as during the main part of the interview she has a basic understanding of English, you will do fine. This is the language used to develop relationships.

You are generally not allowed to translate to her or from her. The legal questions stump most second langauge speakers no matter how fluent they are. This is what needs to be reminded to the IO, especially those to who see this as a bad sign.

We had an interpreter. The only time she was used was for two questions. "Did you ever commit fraud against the US on your application? Have you ever committed perjury to a US gorvenment officer?"

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

I also agree having an interpreter is a good idea. When we went we took one and when the VO called our name and the three of us stood up the IO said "who is this person?" I told her he was our interpreter and the VO said "doesn't she speak english? to which I replied something like yes but I wanted to make sure I don't have to come back with an interpreter in case she doesn't understand all the legal talk. She was kind of a bitch at first but as the interview went on she warmed up to us. By the end when she had concluded our relationship is legit she was actually quite pleasant.

Thanks to all of you. I wish I had the same luck as Ed and Ying (Long time no talk, since pre-GUZ interview. I hope the both of you are doing fine) without having to go through an interview . It would have saved us money on the attorney fees and driver who waited for us to finish the interview.