Upon Leaving China

i was going to make a poll out of this but thought other wise.

my question is what are some things that SO found it hardest to leave behind, obviously her family. ChunYan has 2 adorable 6 year old nephews, who are little devils, but they are both great kids.

My girl is going through alot sad days lately, she leaves a week from today and her mom and her have been having daily crying rituals.

She turned in her 2 week notice with her job she loved so much and is saying goodbye to all her friends.

packing is a huge issue as well reminding her departure of everything she has always known.

For Li, it would be hard to say. More than likely it would be her niece, who is a very intelligent nine-year-old (she was six when we left). Someday, somehow, we would love to get her here, along with her mom, who is Li's older sister.

Bill, Your post goes straight to the heart of the dilemma of taking someone away from the life and home they have always known, to be with someone they love and to place all of their hopes and trusts onto.

Everyone here knows of the tremendous love you have and of the tremendous obligation to make her transition as easy and comfortable as humanly possible. She loves you. This is undeniable too. To give up, say goodbye and leave behind everything she has known, just to be by your side says it all.

You have bought a new home for her. You have gone over and over your checklist. The only thing left is YOU. Your patience, love and understanding are what will make her transition as easy as possible.

I hope others who have been through this before you will post some words of encouragement.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

Difficult days lie ahead, I've seen my wife adjust and several other women from China who have immigrated recently. They all have crying spells and consider returning to China. Even in the best of situations there is homesickness to overcome.

Try to meet other couples, particularly those with a Chinese wife, and get your wife involved in ESL classes or other activities as soon as possible. The quicker she makes friends the better.

Plan to take your wife back for a visit before the first year is up, it really helps their homesickness and perceptions of their new life. I read that advice from someone who preceded me on CFL and it does make a difference.

My wife went back to China unannounced after 8 months in the US, she had told her mother she would be away on a business trip with me and that she wouldn't be near the internet. She surprised her mother by walking up behind her and tapping her on the shoulder while she was shopping at the market. It lets them know that this isn't such a big world anymore and than they can show up at anytime, that they haven't left China forever, provided sufficient funding is available!

My wife mentions fresh fish, fresh pork and fresh, not dried, noodles more often than family. She can use a calling card to call home whenever she wants, she can chat and see her family on the web cameras on Yahoo and QQ. She also likes to have contact with ladies from her province, better yet, her hometown.

She cannot get the good, fresh food that she loves so much.

Bill,  Your post goes straight to the heart of the dilemma of taking someone away from the life and home they have always known, to be with someone they love and to place all of their hopes and trusts onto. 

Everyone here knows of the tremendous love you have and of the tremendous obligation to make her transition as easy and comfortable as humanly possible.  She loves you.  This is undeniable too.  To give up, say goodbye and leave behind everything she has known, just to be by your side says it all.

You have bought a new home for her.  You have gone over and over your checklist.  The only thing left is YOU.  Your patience, love and understanding are what will make her transition as easy as possible.

I hope others who have been through this before you will post some words of encouragement.

214584[/snapback]

thanks alot Dennis, i was not looking for encouragement but your words gave me a nice boost this morning.

Both Chun and I know this transition is not going to be easy for either one of us but our determination has made it this far.

My friends are all ready for her arrival and my family is ready to flood her with love, i told her she is not losing her family but instead she is gaining second.

My wife mentions fresh fish, fresh pork and fresh, not dried, noodles more often than family.?

214760[/snapback]

When you all get back to Florida, (Tampa Area), PM me and I will help you with getting the fresh fish, pork, beef, noodles and vegetables :unsure:

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)
My wife went back to China unannounced after 8 months in the US, she had told her mother she would be away on a business trip with me and that she wouldn't be near the internet. She surprised her mother by walking up behind her and tapping her on the shoulder while she was shopping at the market. It lets them know that this isn't such a big world anymore and than they can show up at anytime, that they haven't left China forever, provided sufficient funding is available!

That is awsome! I can picture that happening clear as day. :(

My wife mentions fresh fish, fresh pork and fresh, not dried, noodles more often than family.?

214760[/snapback]

When you all get back to Florida, (Tampa Area), PM me and I will help you with getting the fresh fish, pork, beef, noodles and vegetables :roller:

214831[/snapback]

and I ASSume you mean by fresh.. that it's running around or swimming around when you buy it :bangin:

214760[/snapback]

When you all get back to Florida, (Tampa Area), PM me and I will help you with getting the fresh fish, pork, beef, noodles and vegetables :D

214831[/snapback]

and I ASSume you mean by fresh.. that it's running around or swimming around when you buy it :P

214958[/snapback]

oh yeah i forget Chinese folk like to see the big tanks with the fish swimming around :lol: , do they still do that in the states?

i've seen lobster tanks but not fish tanks

Edited by izus (see edit history)

MANY asian markets in Socal have tanks with fish, as well as the restaurants. I think the food laws prevent the live pigs, but there are shops that have it no more than 1 or 2 days dead. Look around. Fresh poultry too. I'm sure Florida has this too.

-James

i know of a pig farm in west miami past hialeah that we used to go out and pick out a pig we wanted slaughtered...

memorial day we'd hook up the chinese box dig a hole in the backyard and bar bq that bad boy for 11-12 hours., same with noche buena on christmas eve...

oh yeah i forget Chinese folk like to see the big tanks with the fish swimming around :blush: , do they still do that in the states?

i've seen lobster tanks but not fish tanks

215050[/snapback]

You should be able to find an asian market where you can get dried, frozen, refrigerated AND live fish. In the market here in Denver, the fish seem to come in 'season', one time they had Tilapi, another we saw blue crab and then another larger crab (dont know the name).

We bought a live crab, put it in the fridge, and the next day it was still alive when Jie happily laid it on the cutting board for its impending execution and preparation.

The cities with the larger asian populations should have live fish available, and those by the ocean should have a larger assortment.

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)