Chinese Superstition

The recent post concerning "The other thing to remember and this is very important, never, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER stick your chopsticks into your rice bowl and leave them standing. DON'T DO IT. :D (ask your SO some time) :D

This got me to thinking (dangerous huh?). When I was in China we were supposed to travel to Fusui on Friday to visit SO's dad and sister and enjoy a street celebration of a National Holiday. Because of the last minute schedule changes we would not be able leave for Fusui until Friday morning. SO's mom forbid us from going...it seems it is bad luck to travel on a National Holiday. This may just be the result of more people traveling = more traffic accidents, just like in the U.S.

Needless to say we had to make other plans for the day and SO's mom was able to rest easy.

Does anyone else have any tales of superstition they would like to share to keep the rest of us from screwing up? :D :unsure:

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)

My wife scheduled my trip to China around the calendar.

Don't show the bottom of your feet.

Don't keep your mattress if your ex-SO slept on it, and especially if you got busy on it with someone else.

Don't talk about death or dying.

Don't give anyone a clock as a gift. REALLY don't give anyone hell notes (dead people money from the recently passed holiday) as a gift.

Another one I just thought of..... man do not buy women shoes (this is not meant in terms of for man to wear either). Apparently this is a Chinese way for a man to tell a woman to take a hike. SO will let me buy her clothes, but never shoes. Of course she may just think my taste in shoes sucks and made this up to keep from wearing ugly shoes. lol

Don't ever eat cat, very very bad luck.

209308[/snapback]

Ahhhh... now I have a REASON to avoid that long standing temptation!!

Do not give a clock as a gift, this is bad luck, especially to your SO's parents.

This is suppose to represent limited time left in life.

209167[/snapback]

Althought it might be an appropriate gift for her EX. :)

Every time I suggest that to my wife she has a hard time keeping a straight face. :lol:

:(

that was one of the first things i gave her dad was one of those digital clock/thermometers/humidity gadgets.. i thought it was cool...

bought myself one too

Chun said i didnt know and it wasnt really a clock with hands...

sorry baby

:Dah:

Do not give a clock as a gift, this is bad luck, especially to your SO's parents.

This is suppose to represent limited time left in life.

209167[/snapback]

Althought it might be an appropriate gift for her EX. :greenblob:

Every time I suggest that to my wife she has a hard time keeping a straight face. :greenblob:

209374[/snapback]

:greenblob:

Good point.

Have to buy two, one for her ex and one for mine. :greenblob:

My wife scheduled my trip to China around the calendar.

Don't show the bottom of your feet.

Don't keep your mattress if your ex-SO slept on it, and especially if you got busy on it with someone else.

Don't talk about death or dying.

Don't give anyone a clock as a gift.  REALLY don't give anyone hell notes (dead people money from the recently passed holiday) as a gift.

209102[/snapback]

There goes one of the only things I got. I'm glad it was really expensive!

Number 4 is bad. Don't buy a house with 4s in it like I did, double death. The japanese make golf balls 1, 2, 3, 5... And many buildings skip the 4th floor.

I also try to travel and then get married on a good date. But is it all crap?