The Dujiangyan Irrigation Project

This past week laopo and I watched a really beautiful live progtam from Sichuan Province on CCTV. Way back in the 3rd century BC famed prefect and engineer, Li Bing, devised a plan to harness the Min He into irrigation canals to stop the annual cycle of flooding and drought. Today the thoroughly modern system irrigates 3 million hectares of rich farmland. Every year there is a big festival in which the dam, that holds back the river over the winter and early spring, is broken open and the water floods the land below. A huge stage was set-up and there were many different kinds of performances going on to commemmorate the event - drumming, dances, kung-fu and even a character playing Li Bing proclaiming the event. A squad of men arrived with axes and clambered out onto the wooden dam to chop the ropes holding back those sections while others pulled at long lines to separate the dam. Finally the water was released amid much joyous play by the participants. I finally realized that I had seen no women yet and was about to ask laopo about it when she proudly said, "women coming." And here were 2 long, long lines of the most beautifual Sichuanese ladies coming into view from opposite directions and meeting on the stage to do more dances with long scarves. Then the stage turned into a real street carnival scene with all kinds of performances going on at once; pouring tea from the long spouted pots into tiny cups, a performer doing the mask changing, fire breathers, etc.

The whole thing just gave me such a good feeling. That, yes it was a big show covered by CCTV with multiple cameramen, but it was also a very real and happy time for these people who depend on this water to make their land fertile and provide their livelihoods. With their long, long history the Chinese can look back from an event like this with a perspective that we simply cannot. I feel that their connection to their land, to their hometown, to their family, is much stronger than our own as a result.

Edited by rogerluli (see edit history)

I love this place. It is 50km from Chengdu (my hometown, if I must appoint one). I have been there numerous times, and is never tired of it. The construction done 1700 years ago is simply amazing. The scenery is also good. If you have time to spend, you can wander off the trail and pass by some old homes, and chat with friendly local people. If you ever visit Chengdu, you must go to Dujiangyan.

One minor correction "Min He" should be called "Min Jiang".

I love this place.  It is 50km from Chengdu (my hometown, if I must appoint one).  I have been there numerous times, and is never tired of it.  The construction done 1700 years ago is simply amazing.  The scenery is also good.  If you have time to spend, you can wander off the trail and pass by some old homes, and chat with friendly local people.  If you ever visit Chengdu, you must go to Dujiangyan.

One minor correction "Min He" should be called "Min Jiang".

205790[/snapback]

Thanks for the correction Joanne. I have to blame my "Lonely Planet" guide for the error. And thanks for posting even if you did vote against the idea... :o :sosad:

We took that tour also.

Here's what CTRIP says:

The Dujiangyan Irrigation system is a miracle of ancient Chinese ingenuity. Before the completion of Dujiangyan, the plains around the Min River were prone to floods due to the fast moving Min River flowing down from its mountain source and meeting flat ground. It was in the Warring States period about 2200 years ago, that the engineer Li Bing and his son led the construction of the Dujiangyan irrigation system that tamed the Min River and irrigated the surrounding plains.

The central brilliant idea of the project is the annual silt removal and maintenance plan devised by Li Bing that ensures the projects long-term usefulness. The actual structure of the project includes a dyke that divides the Min River into inner and outer flows. The inner flow is then redirected to irrigate local farm land. One interesting thing about the irrigation system is the that project is ongoing and has expanded to more than three times its original irrigated area of 1 million hectares.

The Fulong Temple (Fulong Guan) was erected in 168 AD to commemorate the taming of the river. Fulong Temple sits in Lidui Park overlooking the split between the inner and outer flows of the Min River. Also, Li Bing's genius is again celebrated at the Two Kings Temple (Erwang Miao) near the dyke. The "two kings", of course, are Li Bing and his son, Er Lang. Two Kings Temple can be found in the western section of Yulei Park overlooking the dyke. There are cable cars that run between Lidui Park and Two Kings Temple in Yulei Park. The relatively high fares of RMB25 per ride keep the cable car's passengers to a reasonable number.

How to get there:Buses to Dujiangyan run from Chengdu's Ximen bus station every morning from 7am to 10am. Also buses are available from the Chengdu north bus station leaving every hour until 5:30pm. Returning to Chengdu, there are minibuses leaving from along Taiping Jie near the Dujiangyan Bus Station until approximately 8pm.

Chinese Net Friends' Suggestions:

I recommend to you a typical itinerary, that you can go in at the south gate and travel quickly through the park, memorial and shop, then cross a bridge and take the one-way car to Fish Mouth (Yuzui) with RMB10 fare. Go over the chain bridge (Suoqiao) to Erwang Temple and Qinyan Tower after the Fish Mouth tour. The chain bridge is very characteristic and a little dangerous when the current is swift. Additionally, you also could enjoy the whole scenery of Dujiangyan Irrigation System from Qinyan Tower, where you can go out of the scenic spot. This way, you can take the bus NO.1 to have lunch at DICOS and go to Qingcheng Mountain or Qingcheng Back Mountain from the Bus Transport Centre. There are a lot of residences near Qingcheng Mountain which are 1-4 star grade hotels and some local houses spreading over the back mountain. The charges are 40-80 yuan one night and the cuisine here tastes partially spicy.

Yes this is a bueatiful place, my wife Min took me there in the winter of 2004. We had a great time, the people are so nice. we went up an down all of the stairs to the temples. Not sure which was worse the stairs of the Dejan or the climb of the Great Wall. No complaints though I was with my Min.