Vacation in Hawaii

Whatever decision you make, do not leave her purse, the camera, or any other valuables in the rental car at any time.

When we were stopped at the border checkpoint SE of El Paso, Tx the officer quickly noted the I-94 was expired. Although he asked several probing questions he never asked for the I-797C NOA for AOS.

I agree with Lee. You should have a copy of it with you.

Better take your passport with you.  You never know when you may run into a situation where someone wants to  check her legal status.  Without a green card its the only proof you have.

204488[/snapback]

This is sage advice.

And, even if no one checks her legal status, she'll need it (unless she has a driver's license) to get on the plane, get into bars, etc.

204492[/snapback]

She does have a State ID card, so that would be used to get into bars, etc. =)

Good ideas on the photocopies. I'll make sure to bring one of those.

Edited by hlin (see edit history)

How does she have a state I.D.? She arrived on 11/24/05, didn't the ID expire on 2/23/06? If not you are very lucky. California regards AOS pending as an over stay until you get either EAD or PR. An expired card is only useful if the person asking to see it doesn't notice. If she actually has a valid ID somehow then this ID, plus passport if asked to show 2 photo IDs, will get you through airport security.

Since some friends have had to prove legality coming back from San Diego and at the airport and the passport was misunderstood as proof of over stay, we will sit tight until she qualifies for renewal of the ID.

I made sure she carries copies of our marriage cert, AOS receipt notice and the biometric receipt. This may avoid problems although none of these are regarded as proof of legality without varification from the USCIS computer to prove there has not been a denial.

Good luck. I'll be very interested to know if you get through airport security without a hassle.

How does she have a state I.D.? She arrived on 11/24/05, didn't the ID expire on 2/23/06? If not you are very lucky. California regards AOS pending as an over stay until you get either EAD or PR. An expired card is only useful if the person asking to see it doesn't notice. If she actually has a valid ID somehow then this ID, plus passport if asked to show 2 photo IDs, will get you through airport security.

Since some friends have had to prove legality coming back from San Diego and at the airport and the passport was misunderstood as proof of over stay, we will sit tight until she qualifies for renewal of the ID.

I made sure she carries copies of our marriage cert, AOS receipt notice and the biometric receipt. This may avoid problems although none of these are regarded as proof of legality without varification from the USCIS computer to prove there has not been a denial.

Good luck. I'll be very interested to know if you get through airport security without a hassle.

204775[/snapback]

No, her ID expires sometime in June. I don't know why, didn't ask. I didn't apply AOS yet when I got the ID card. I only have the SSN with me and her passport.

I understand all the precaution that you guys are suggesting, but I feel it's a bit ridiculous to carry so many things just to travel to a US state. That means I should carry my passport around as well to prove I am a US Citizen? :) :(

Anyway, I'll probably end up carrying her passport just to be safe, though it doesn't mean they won't stop me at the airport??? Great, then I have to carry mine?? I might as well call the airline just to be sure on the policies. :)

Hawaii is part of USA.   :blush:

204315[/snapback]

I thought the same thing about New Mexico, but then some surveys of traveling Americans showed it at 50%. :o

204364[/snapback]

Americans don't know geography. Many Americans think we have 52 States. :lol: :D

204367[/snapback]

That's silly. Canada hasn't gained statehood yet; it's still a territory as far as I know.

204375[/snapback]

I think they're including Iraq and Afghanistan. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
Just an FYI, I did bring passports and copies of NOA etc, and nothing was required. She used her State ID and there were no problems at all getting through security, etc. Thanks for all the replies!

208522[/snapback]

Yup, as I said you lucked out. Not having a valid state ID is a major issue for us.

ENJOY!

Just an FYI, I did bring passports and copies of NOA etc, and nothing was required. She used her State ID and there were no problems at all getting through security, etc. Thanks for all the replies!

208522[/snapback]

I'm here in Hawaii. Reply or send me a message if you need anything while you're here.

208522[/snapback]

I'm here in Hawaii. Reply or send me a message if you need anything while you're here.

208542[/snapback]

Please send Papayas. My wife loves them. :rolleyes: Ate them just about every day.

208522[/snapback]

208542[/snapback]

Please send Papayas. My wife loves them. :P Ate them just about every day.

208745[/snapback]

I take it you are going to Oahu then? I've never had a passport issue, I never had a passport then either.

You should most definately have Sunday brunch at The Sheraton Royal Hawaiian Hotel.

http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/

If you don't mind cooking your meat, I like the Shore Bird Restaurant at the Outrigger Reef, I love the cajun seasoned ahi tuna.

http://www.outrigger.com/hotels_dining.aspx?hotel=2

Piano and cocktails at the Sheraton Moana Surfrider

http://www.moana-surfrider.com/

Next time I would skip on the hotels and rent a condo, they are nicer, not as crowded, and even cheaper.

http://www.vrbo.com/

Maybe the Hawaiian resident has some suggestions also.

If you get to Maui, there is so much to do and it is more relaxing. I haven't been to the big island or the others but heard great things.

My favorite restaurant is Mama's Fish House on Maui.

http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/

208522[/snapback]

208542[/snapback]

Please send Papayas. My wife loves them. :ok: Ate them just about every day.

208745[/snapback]

I take it you have already returned to the Mainland U.S.

Um, I can get mangos. The trees are all over the place. But papayas? I don't even know what they look like.