Vacation in Hawaii

Alright, I know this is a stupid question, but... if anyone has taken a flight out to Hawaii for vacation and back, while their spouse is waiting for AOS, will there be any problems? :draw:

I am assuming that going to Hawaii only required a State issued ID, which she has (California ID card). I think that is the only thing required, however, is it better for her to bring her passport along? I'm not sure what they check for since it is not within the continental US, etc. :)

I'm just a bit worried. Leaving for a late honeymoon, and want this to go smoothly/ :draw: :D

We didn't go, but considered it.

Hawaii is no problem. Neither is Puerto Rico, Guam, or the American Virgin Islands.

BUT with all of those places, you have to make sure you're staying on US soil. A direct flight to Hawaii and back shouldn't be a problem - with the American Virgin Islands, I understand they check your passport to make sure you didn't visit any non-U.S. islands upon your travel back. That potentially could destroy your AOS application.

I've seen some posts suggesting that Hawaii might be a problem, in the event the plane has to land somewhere else on the way there or back, so, I guess you do take some chances.

Hawaii is part of USA.   :icecream:

204315[/snapback]

I thought the same thing about New Mexico, but then some surveys of traveling Americans showed it at 50%. :roller:

204364[/snapback]

Americans don't know geography. Many Americans think we have 52 States. :lol: :D

204367[/snapback]

That's silly. Canada hasn't gained statehood yet; it's still a territory as far as I know.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I know Hawaii is a state, but since it's over waters, I don't know what to expect. I just wanted to avoid any problems if possible (having never been there before myself).

I'll leave her passport at home, I don't want it to get lost/stolen. Weather's been so bad in California, I hope it doesn't rain in Hawaii!

Weather's been so bad in California, I hope it doesn't rain in Hawaii!

204471[/snapback]

It will rain almost every day in Hawaii ... that's normal, then the sun will come out and you'll hit the beach ... perhaps the biggest problem will be if she carries an umbrella on the beach because she doesn't want to look like she comes from a farm.

B)

Better take your passport with you.  You never know when you may run into a situation where someone wants to  check her legal status.  Without a green card its the only proof you have.

204488[/snapback]

This is sage advice.

And, even if no one checks her legal status, she'll need it (unless she has a driver's license) to get on the plane, get into bars, etc.

Hawaii might be a problem, in the event the plane has to land somewhere else on the way there or back, so, I guess you do take some chances.

204187[/snapback]

Now, where WOULD they land, if other than Hawaii?

204491[/snapback]

If there's some weather problems, the plane could be re-routed to Canada, Mexico, I don't know.. Tahiti, heck even Japan or Korea. The point is, Hawaii is part of the U.S., but you do have to fly over international waters to get there, and there's potentially some problem that you would be taken elsewhere.

Like I said, it's an outside chance, and I wouldn't advise anyone against going to Hawaii.

Better take your passport with you.  You never know when you may run into a situation where someone wants to  check her legal status.  Without a green card its the only proof you have.

204488[/snapback]

Not only the passport, but a copy of the I-797C NOA for AOS to justify her overstay on the K-1 visa and her status.

For walking around a photocopy of her passport, visa and I-94 would be a good idea. If this raises a question you can present the original passport and remind them that DOS recommends this same thing to US Citizens traveling abroad to help prevent the loss of a passport.