A Question And A Fear

When I read some of these posts, I reach only only conclusion - it's like you're saying "there's a problem, but I'm not paying to fix it." Just WTF do you want?

Here's your cake. Try to eat it too.

You decide. Do you want to stop the flow of undocumented aliens into the US or do you want to change the immigration practices and pay for the staffing so that more aliens can come to the US legally and others can staill have their visas processed promptly? Do you want to provide a workforce so that business can make a reasonable profit or do you want to pay more for your food and other goods so that business can make a reasonable profit? Do you want to close the borders to immigration from some countries or do you fear Latinos more than terrorists? Do you want to set immigration limits by country and do you want to pay to build the fence higher and increase border patrols? Do you want to deport everyone here illegally, including most of their children who are here legally, or do you want to make 11 million people part of the American dream and are you willing to pay either way?

The current policy ain't broke. It's been designed to accomplish exactly what's happened. Spew forth the rhetoric about illegal immigration but don't fund the laws already on the books. This side of the face says "look, I helped pass the law that makes it a criminal offense to hire undocumented workers" while the other side of the face says "don't worry about it, we won't fund enforcement." One side says "we don't want your immigrants" while the other side says "we'll work with you because we want your oil to satisfy our demand."

I said this to my ex spouse, and I'll say it here. Money makes people mean. I'm in a piss poor mood tonight, so if someone wants to ax this post, go ahead.

When I read some of these posts, I reach only only conclusion - it's like you're saying "there's a problem, but I'm not paying to fix it."  Just WTF do you want?

Here's your cake.  Try to eat it too.

You decide.  Do you want to stop the flow of undocumented aliens into the US or do you want to change the immigration practices and pay for the staffing so that more aliens can come to the US legally and others can staill have their visas processed promptly?  Do you want to provide a workforce so that business can make a reasonable profit or do you want to pay more for your food and other goods so that business can make a reasonable profit?  Do you want to close the borders to immigration from some countries or do you fear Latinos more than terrorists?  Do you want to set immigration limits by country and do you want to pay to build the fence higher and increase border patrols?  Do you want to deport everyone here illegally, including most of their children who are here legally, or do you want to make 11 million people part of the American dream and are you willing to pay either way?

The current policy ain't broke.  It's been designed to accomplish exactly what's happened.  Spew forth the rhetoric about illegal immigration but don't fund the laws already on the books.  This side of the face says "look, I helped pass the law that makes it a criminal offense to hire undocumented workers" while the other side of the face says "don't worry about it, we won't fund enforcement."  One side says "we don't want your immigrants" while the other side says "we'll work with you because we want your oil to satisfy our demand."

I said this to my ex spouse, and I'll say it here.  Money makes people mean.  I'm in a piss poor mood tonight, so if someone wants to ax this post, go ahead.

203259[/snapback]

Just as long as we dont go into other peoples countries and blow them up in our quest to bring them freedom. I hope the bad guys go away. Why dont the world powers just try to lift themselves up? If countries could support their burgening populations the populace would be more encouraged to just stay put in the first place.

When I read some of these posts, I reach only only conclusion - it's like you're saying "there's a problem, but I'm not paying to fix it."  Just WTF do you want?

Here's your cake.  Try to eat it too.

You decide.  Do you want to stop the flow of undocumented aliens into the US or do you want to change the immigration practices and pay for the staffing so that more aliens can come to the US legally and others can staill have their visas processed promptly?  Do you want to provide a workforce so that business can make a reasonable profit or do you want to pay more for your food and other goods so that business can make a reasonable profit?  Do you want to close the borders to immigration from some countries or do you fear Latinos more than terrorists?  Do you want to set immigration limits by country and do you want to pay to build the fence higher and increase border patrols?  Do you want to deport everyone here illegally, including most of their children who are here legally, or do you want to make 11 million people part of the American dream and are you willing to pay either way?  

The current policy ain't broke.  It's been designed to accomplish exactly what's happened.  Spew forth the rhetoric about illegal immigration but don't fund the laws already on the books.  This side of the face says "look, I helped pass the law that makes it a criminal offense to hire undocumented workers" while the other side of the face says "don't worry about it, we won't fund enforcement."  One side says "we don't want your immigrants" while the other side says "we'll work with you because we want your oil to satisfy our demand."

I said this to my ex spouse, and I'll say it here.  Money makes people mean.  I'm in a piss poor mood tonight, so if someone wants to ax this post, go ahead.

203259[/snapback]

Just as long as we dont go into other peoples countries and blow them up in our quest to bring them freedom. I hope the bad guys go away. Why dont the world powers just try to lift themselves up? If countries could support their burgening populations the populace would be more encouraged to just stay put in the first place.

203279[/snapback]

Be careful about bringing US foreign policy into the discussion. We could start talking about Iraq or Iran but I guarrantee this disscusion will spiral out of control. :huh:

As for the present problem, I'll be the first to admit that my attitude changed drastically after I started the process for Jen. Before, I would have the mind to round them all up and deport them. The law is the law. Now, I still don't condone it, but I understand it. As difficult as the process is for a USC trying to work though the system, I can't imagine trying to go though it as a foreign national.

My sympathy only goes so far. It gets lost when I see nothing bu Mexican flags at a protest in our country. If they want to move here to be American fine, but far too many want the border moved. If you can't respect the country you are coming to, you have no business being here.

Ok................

Lets assume they put these 10 million people to the "back of the line".........

What happens to one of our good, law abiding citizens who meets a nice Chinese lady and eventually decides to get married. They apply for their visa BEHIND these 10 million illegals.................

How long will it take for them to get a legal visa for his new wife? 10 years???

Anyway you look at it - the law abiding citizens will pay the price - a huge price!!!

Scott

203235[/snapback]

Well, the President started the Dept. of Homeland Security, maybe he'll start up another department just for the purpose of processing all the illegals.

Well, look at it this way. America needs someone to harvest the crops. A hot, dirty, low paying job that natural born Americans care not to do.

203236[/snapback]

One problem I see is that if these people gain legal status, the wage for these jobs will have to go up to meet at least minimum wage requirements and would still burden the industry.

I think the illegal group should be put into 2 catagories. Visa overstays should be looked at differently than border intrusions. At least the overstays had at one time sought a legal visa and should not be penalised as much as the others.

That being said, it takes about 6 months to process and deport an illegal. Just imagine how slow things would be if USCIS had to process 12 million deportation cases.

203256[/snapback]

It seems that coming here legally, and overstaying a visa gets a much harsher punishment than being in the country illegally. I don't know how that makes much sense.

Edited by Jonathan (see edit history)
Whoa, big fella. How long has you wife been gone?

203276[/snapback]

I apologize for my post - maybe a bit over the top. And, yes, Jingwen's been gone for a couple of weeks, and I ran out of Cheetos last night. Stocked up again this morning - should last me until I join her in April. :offtopic:

Whoa, big fella. How long has you wife been gone?

203276[/snapback]

I apologize for my post - maybe a bit over the top. And, yes, Jingwen's been gone for a couple of weeks, and I ran out of Cheetos last night. Stocked up again this morning - should last me until I join her in April. :wub:

203367[/snapback]

I really didn't think your post was that over the top, Frank, especially for a man who's wife is gone and who just ran out of Cheetos. :P :P

I think this is a tough situation all the way around and arguments can be made on both sides of the coin. My purpose in starting the thread was motivated mostly out of a legitimate concern over the possibility of the people who are here illegally being processed before those who are trying to jump through all the hoops as prescribed by current immigration law and procedures.

It remains a legitimate concern I think and believe that it would be in folks best interests to keep their ears to the ground on this one. Further, letting your Congressional representatives know how you feel isn't a bad idea.

But you are so right. Either way, we are going to have to pay. It's a shame, it's unfair, but most of all, it's a reality.

BTW: When in April are you going to China?