The reason not to use:

We also do not use the dryer, except for large items (sheets/blankets, etc.)

One thing we do definitely use is Dettol, as an additive to the wash, to "kill the virus" as Wendy says. Actually, that stuff smells pretty good. We just have a hard time finding it. Found it once in a medicine chop in Chinatown (SF), but have been buying it online since. Anyone know where to get a good deal on it?

My microwave has been reduced to popcorn duty.

One thing we do definitely use is Dettol, as an additive to the wash, to "kill the virus" as Wendy says.  Actually, that stuff smells pretty good.  We just have a hard time finding it.  Found it once in a medicine chop in Chinatown (SF), but have been buying it online since.  Anyone know where to get a good deal on it? 

203890[/snapback]

I am having trouble finding Dettol, too. I realy feel like needing it because we use laundromat.

One thing we do definitely use is Dettol, as an additive to the wash, to "kill the virus" as Wendy says.  Actually, that stuff smells pretty good.  We just have a hard time finding it.  Found it once in a medicine chop in Chinatown (SF), but have been buying it online since.  Anyone know where to get a good deal on it? 

203890[/snapback]

I am having trouble finding Dettol, too. I realy feel like needing it because we use laundromat.

203898[/snapback]

We tried eBay, but the vendor we selected wasn't accepting payment. Got it for about the same price on Amazon...but the shipping made it almost the same price as in Chinatown. ~$10 for a 24 ounce bottle.

One thing we do definitely use is Dettol, as an additive to the wash, to "kill the virus" as Wendy says.?Actually, that stuff smells pretty good.?We just have a hard time finding it.?Found it once in a medicine chop in Chinatown (SF), but have been buying it online since.?Anyone know where to get a good deal on it??

203890[/snapback]

203898[/snapback]

We tried eBay, but the vendor we selected wasn't accepting payment. Got it for about the same price on Amazon...but the shipping made it almost the same price as in Chinatown. ~$10 for a 24 ounce bottle.

204051[/snapback]

Thanks for the information. :roller: It seems quite expensive.

One thing we do definitely use is Dettol, as an additive to the wash, to "kill the virus" as Wendy says.?Actually, that stuff smells pretty good.?We just have a hard time finding it.?Found it once in a medicine chop in Chinatown (SF), but have been buying it online since.?Anyone know where to get a good deal on it??

203890[/snapback]

203898[/snapback]

204051[/snapback]

Thanks for the information. :) It seems quite expensive.

204054[/snapback]

$4.50 or so for the bottle, and $10 for the shipping. So, if you want to buy a few bottles, it actually evens out. We use public laundry, too, so it's worth the investment.

While staying at a 4 star hotel this month I wanted to send my dirty clothes to the hotel's laundry.  No way!  My clothes would be washed with other peoples' clothes, very nasty. :D  (I did get 'caught' washing my clothes in the sink and was pushed out of the way, "I do for my husband" :D )

I do agree that hand washing makes the clothes cleaner, my t-shirts are now as white as the day I bought them.

203400[/snapback]

Two things: I did use the hotel laundry service in China and my clothes came back sparkling clean, folded and sealed in plastic, just like they came out of a store. The sui yuan would pick the clothes up in the morning and return them at night. I was impressed and it was cheap too.

Baked potatoes taste much better in conventional ovens.

While staying at a 4 star hotel this month I wanted to send my dirty clothes to the hotel's laundry.  No way!  My clothes would be washed with other peoples' clothes, very nasty. :D  (I did get 'caught' washing my clothes in the sink and was pushed out of the way, "I do for my husband" :D )

I do agree that hand washing makes the clothes cleaner, my t-shirts are now as white as the day I bought them.

203400[/snapback]

Two things: I did use the hotel laundry service in China and my clothes came back sparkling clean, folded and sealed in plastic, just like they came out of a store. The sui yuan would pick the clothes up in the morning and return them at night. I was impressed and it was cheap too.

Baked potatoes taste much better in conventional ovens.

205117[/snapback]

1. I'm certain. You're preachin' to the choir on that one. :D

2. I agree.

To kill microbes left in public washers and dryers why not just spray the inside of the drum with one of the available and effective sanitizers such as Bactine or Lysol? You could also add a squirt of any of the antibacterial dish washing liquids to your laundry.

I sometimes add Tea Tree Oil or Lemon Oil which also kill a wide range of bacteria. Pine Oil works also.

I had wanted to send my clothes to the hotel laundry, but SO said it was to expensive and took them to her home to be washed. They never dried completely, but I appreciated the effort. Besides after later being punished and having to walk back to the hotel for wasting the bus fare traveling to the post office to ship my clothes after being told it was to expensive, I dare not think about what punishment I might have received if I used an expensive laundry after being told not to. hehehe

To kill microbes left in public washers and dryers why not just spray the inside of the drum with one of the available and effective sanitizers such as Bactine or Lysol?  You could also add a squirt of any of the antibacterial dish washing liquids to your laundry.

I sometimes add Tea Tree Oil or Lemon Oil which also kill a wide range of bacteria. Pine Oil works also.

205328[/snapback]

There's gotta be some pine oil or derivative in Dettol, now that you mention it. Smells like a milder, sweeter pine-sol.

I'm a bit leery of using dish soap in anything other than the sink. Seen what happens when you use it in the dishwasher. :blink:

As far as not using the dryer goes (back to the topic in this room), my clothes seem to be lasting longer, easier to iron, and smelling better. Just gotta time my laundry days right if I plan on wearing something in particular. no biggie.

I doubt any bacteria could survive the temperature reached in the clothes dryer. My wive never blinked an eye. she used the dryer straight away even though she hung her clothes out to dry in China.