Baiyum airport

teddy546

does anyone know how far the airport is from the consulate by taxi?

199285[/snapback]

We were advised to try to avoid the taxi because it would be around 120rmb, and also that some GZ drivers could 'take you for a ride' thus adding a few more. SO, we took the bus (#6) which takes you to the Tian He hotel in GZ, then took a taxi from Tian He to the consulate which was only 8 yuan. The bus is 20 each, is comfortable, has storage underneath, and was an hour or less.

I have done both. Either way would be fine. Sometimes I feel safer riding a bus out of my home city.

On the bus they showed us a movie filmed by local police bureau. It showed how a thief switched suitcases on the bus while passengers were asleep. The purpose of the movie is to remind the passengers tend to their own belongings. I held on to mine tight. :cheering:

Guest knloregon

The (new) Baiyan airport is substantially north, and east of GZ ---- not at all near the original airport-----

----taxi rides have got to be much more expensive than buses, and for a white guy picked up that far away from downtown, without his SO---- lets face it: he's got SUCKA!--written all over him.....

The airport bus service is very direct, with several stops to the most popular western hotels..

Even if you arn't staying in one of them, you will just be a short hop by taxi from the nearest one. Also, the bus driver doesn't need to know English---- just show him your hotel print out-- (in Chinese characters) --------- he will just nod, and take you to the location closest to your hotel. ----- Plus: (and actually this is kind of a big plus after a long flight) ----- you can get free bottled water on the bus----I always take several, no problem...

The (new) Baiyan airport is substantially north, and east of GZ ---- not at all near the original airport----- 

----taxi rides have got to be much more expensive than buses, and for a white guy picked up that far away from downtown, without his SO---- lets face it:  he's got SUCKA!--written all over him.....

The airport bus service is very direct, with several stops to the most popular western hotels.. 

Even if you arn't staying in one of them, you will just be a short hop by taxi from the nearest one.  Also, the bus driver doesn't need to know English---- just show him your hotel print out-- (in Chinese characters) --------- he will just nod, and take you to the location closest to your hotel. -----  Plus:  (and actually this is kind of a big plus after a long flight)  ----- you can get free bottled water on the bus----I always take several, no problem...

199401[/snapback]

Hey, I'm from newark new jersey. I've been in the cabs from HELL and very few speak english .... Never been beat yet!! :roller:

Thanks for your concern though... Ted

If you stay at the apartments owned by Angela Wu (Romantic) and Mr. Xie, they will send a car for you to pick you up. It was very well worth it and not as much as renting a taxi not to mention trusting.

Have your SO contact them 13729868644 (Mr. Xie) or 020-35587558

(Miss Wu). They will give her all the information on the phone.

If you arrive at the airport too early the buses will not be running. As I recall, they start at 7:00 a.m. It's not unusual for the LAX-GUZ China Southern flight to arrive as early as 06:00 a.m.

The one time I took a 120 rmb taxi (bargained down to 80 rmb) to town, the 20 rmb bus arrived while I was getting out of the taxi.

Yea watch the taxi drivers in Guangzhou, many,many,seemed to be devious. I should note that our first and only visit ( interview) was during the Trade Fair. maybe they felt more bold. The driver from the airport refused to use the meter, I told Ying not to worry. When we arrrived at the hotel and he stated the price, I tossed him a 100 RMB note, abit less than if he used the meter. Despite his protests, we just got our things and walked in the hotel - the doorman had a big grin. Maybe it was the Trade Fair, but both Ying and I rank Guangzhou pretty far down the list of China cities - never happier to get on the plane back to Beijing

Yea watch the taxi drivers in Guangzhou, many,many,seemed to be devious. I should note that our  first and only visit ( interview) was during the Trade Fair. maybe they felt more bold.  The driver from the airport refused to use the meter, I told Ying not to worry. When we arrrived at the hotel and he stated the price, I tossed him a 100 RMB note, abit less than if he used the meter. Despite his protests, we just got our things and walked in the hotel - the doorman had a big grin. Maybe it was the Trade Fair, but both Ying and I rank Guangzhou pretty far down the list of China cities - never happier to get on the plane back to Beijing

200256[/snapback]

Now, "That's what I'm talkin about" ... LOL :greenblob:

Yea watch the taxi drivers in Guangzhou, many,many,seemed to be devious. I should note that our?first and only visit ( interview) was during the Trade Fair. maybe they felt more bold.?The driver from the airport refused to use the meter, I told Ying not to worry. When we arrrived at the hotel and he stated the price, I tossed him a 100 RMB note, abit less than if he used the meter. Despite his protests, we just got our things and walked in the hotel - the doorman had a big grin. Maybe it was the Trade Fair, but both Ying and I rank Guangzhou pretty far down the list of China cities - never happier to get on the plane back to Beijing

200256[/snapback]

Now, "That's what I'm talkin about" ... LOL :unsure:

200399[/snapback]

yea...always negotiate the price before you get in their cab. You be surprise to find they understand the universal talk of money...lol. If they act as they do not know move to the next cab. Kind of fun!! Reminded me of bargaining in Mexico. Also, it is about 35 minutes to the consulate from Baiyun.....enjoy!! Oh, watch out for the official looking guys who hustle you when you clear customs. They usually stand outside the custom gate. They will walk you from the international terminal to the domestic terminal. Then they want an outrages fee. Do not worry because all the signs are in English too. In additrion, they will ask if you want to exchange US dollars into yuan. The rate and their math skills are awful!! So, anybody using Baiyun to tranfer to a domestic flight, ie; like us guys who continue onto Nanning...beware of these guys!! But, I learned my lesson....haha. Sorry to be off topic with this last part of my post

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)