I'm a permanent resident

hey peoples,

I am a Canadian citizen living in Phoenix, AZ with a permanent resident card. I am wondering, if I marry my SO, do I even have the legal authorization to start processing her visa to bring her to the United States... since I'm not even a US Citizen? If not, can I do it through the Canadian government (God forbid, I can imagine how confusing and time consuming that would be) or would I be better off applying for American citizenship?

As a PR, the only thing you can do is file an I-130 and wait a very long time. I think you'll find it faster to naturalize and file as a US citizen if you intend on living in the US. You can file the I-130 now. When you become naturalized, notify USCIS and your petition will get kicked to GUZ.

197990[/snapback]

If I'm reading the visa bulletin correctly, second preference categories for Chinese spouses of legal permanent residents indicate a visa availability of March 1, 2002, so unless you take Don's advice, you're looking at at least a 4 year wait before a visa number is available - http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin...letin_2847.html

Tack on the additional time to process the visa after your SO is notified that a visa number is available, and you kinda get the picture.

Hi,

Since naturalization will take a while too, would you consider returning to Canada to emigrate her to there? Then both of you could come back here as a married couple? If I understand your story you were in Phoenix to complete your MBA.

I have been lead to believe that Canada has a much more liberal process for Chinese immigration. Is this true?

Can anyone comment on this? Would it not significantly shorten the time?

-James

Well, I was down here for school but now I'm here to stay. My career and home and everything is here so I will have to naturalize to the US. How long does naturalization usually take?

198439[/snapback]

The Chinese people I know at work had a VERY easy time bringing their Chinese spouses here while on a F-1 student visa. Would this (F-2 spuse or child of an F-1 visa holder) possibly work for you?

The cases I know of probably pre-dated 9-11, however.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did call an immigration lawyer and he suggested that I naturalize before starting the process as well. He said the process will take around 6 months and will cost 400 dollars. His fee for doing the paperwork is another 500 dollars! Ugh! That killed it.

I will need to start working on this myself (screw you and your 500 dollars!! Argh! Haha) but everything I googled came up with only regular naturalization forms, nothing related to Permanent Resident - Naturalization. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, that's a great idea Randy, I suppose I can bring her here under a student visa (she wants to go to school anyways) so we can be together while this whole process works out.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did call an immigration lawyer and he suggested that I naturalize before starting the process as well. He said the process will take around 6 months and will cost 400 dollars. His fee for doing the paperwork is another 500 dollars! Ugh! That killed it.

I will need to start working on this myself (screw you and your 500 dollars!! Argh! Haha) but everything I googled came up with only regular naturalization forms, nothing related to Permanent Resident - Naturalization. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, that's a great idea Randy, I suppose I can bring her here under a student visa (she wants to go to school anyways) so we can be together while this whole process works out.

198642[/snapback]

Go to:

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/

Very detailed and informative and best of all, it's FREE <_<

Best strategy is to get her over as a student (F-1).

Studying English for example. ESL courses are cheap.

Shortest time, easiest paperwork.