Calling China

My Webpage

HI, I am new to this web site. My Financee Yan Li just showed it to me this week, and I have been monitoring it every chance I get. I finally thought, it's time to introduce myself.

if you go to my web site. www.skc-pollock.com you can click on my vacation icon and then on the China icon to see pictures of my visit to China last year.

Yan Li and I have known each other for about 18 months, and have been working through the visa process for the last 13 months. Finally had the interview on Nov. 27th. But like most of you, still waiting for the name check to be completed. I have called the DOS office a few times this week, after getting the number from you guys here. I have also had the same results that most of you did. THe first time, being told to call back in a week, and being hung up on. Then a couple days latter, I called back, talked to someone who looked in the system and said it has not been done yet, don't know when, call back latter. Pretty much a common story here. But at least there is hope.

yanli and I, talk almsot daily. Normally 5 days a week via MSN, and then on the weekends I try and call her both days if I am able too. I think we have really spent a lot of time talking, and I probably know her better than most of my previous relationships and defently more than I knew my ex-wife. Which is another story, that I will not go into here.

We meet of a dating web site. It was not a Chinese Bride or anything like that. It was actually a web site called WebPersonals. It has been around for a long time, and I know there are a lot of chinese women on there. It is actually a international dating web site. I do think it's mainly states, but there are a lot of other countries in it too.

OK, now for one ? I do have.

I have not found any real inexpensive way to call China. I was using ICONNECT, which was very reasonable. they had a calling card option, that was costing like .13 a min. Now t hey raised it to .39 a min. Does anyone know of a less expensive way, as that does get to be expensive after a while. Maybe it's time to go back and try the PC to phone thing. That was a little cheaper, have not checked the rates for that, but I did not like that, as the quality was not as good as I thought it could be. let me know what your guys are doing.

Great. I just check the one suite place out. they have rates to china at .119 and .089. I think that is great, yanli and I will love as we can now talk for 3 times as long as what we were paying.

So now, how about for yanli to call me from China, are there any places people know of to call from China to USA cheap?

thanks for your inforamtion!!

Scott

www.skc-pollock.com

Guest bbridges51

Calling China?

Well, if you and she have MSN, perhaps you could take one more step and save a lot. SuJuan and i both have Windows computers and we use MS NetMeeting to videoconference twice a day. We use AOL or Yahoo to chat briefly and since she has a fixed IP, i connect directly to her computer for our audio/video conference. Quite cool and totally free, except for broadband costs on both sides. However, considering what i'd be paying if i talked by phone two hours a day, this is a bargain.

Brian

As Jim does - I get a calling card from NobelCom.com also. My Fiance and I have tried the voice over IP solution and found it to be somewhat cumbersome, but they may just be our experience.

Welcome to the forums - btw - Jim is the nicest one here - I'm just a drive by poster :rolleyes:

Hi everyone,

I use the Oriental Gold card from Happy Calling http://www.happycalling.com

They are a little bit more expensive, but in terms of quality, it is incredible. Using this card to call my fiancee in Guangzhou I get the same clarity of voice as picking up my telephone and calling locally to my friend down the street. :P :lol: :D

They do not have any hidden surcharges, to my knowledge.

From my perspective, I am willing to pay a little bit more for good service.

In terms of cards to avoid, FirstPhoneCard has been a nightmare. I usually try to look on the positive side of everything and avoid needless negativity so I will not go into any detail here :rolleyes: , but suffice to say that it was not a pleasant experience. :lol:

Thanks,

P.J.

I guess I pay to much, my wife buys the telephone calling card in china and it 100 yuan for 1/2 hour and I have MCI World com at 17 cents a minute, this is better than Quest at 23 cents and Sprint at 32 cents last time I checked with them, not much faith in Sprint when it takes 5 trips and 4 months to fix your telephone system correctly

James,

I bought a $50 card (mid-quality) from Nobel and I wasn't able to connect to my honey's home (only 2 out of 8 times sucessfully). Also, the quality was so bad. Then I went back to onesuit.com and the price there has been dropping. The onesuit card can also be used to call USA for 2.9 cents a minute.

-- Tony

:)

I guess I pay to much, my wife buys the telephone calling card in china and it 100 yuan for 1/2 hour and I have MCI World com at 17 cents a minute, this is better than Quest at 23 cents and Sprint at 32 cents last time I checked with them, not much faith in Sprint when it takes 5 trips and 4 months to fix your telephone system correctly

Hello Kaige,

If you have MCI Worldcom at 17 cents per minute then of course you are obviously on their International Calling Plan. Did you know that you can receive a call from China with that plan at the same rate of 17 cents ? This is great because sometimes my dear Ping-ping can surprise me with a call. I did not realize you could get a full half an hour from those China phone cards that cost 100 yuan, but even if you did get the full time, that is still :) 40 cents a minute.

- Robert