AOS Denied !

Bruce, this may be a silly question, but did you go down to the post office and get her name added for delivery? Both the name listed in her passport and married name if different.

The USCIS has a non-forward policy and if for some reason the post office didn't have the name listed it is possible they returned it.

192225[/snapback]

Lee ... I went to our local Post Office and asked about this and they say there is no form or proceedure to add someone for delivery. I pushed and the lady talked to the shift supervisor who confirmed what the first woman said.

I talked to the letter carrier who is the regular at our apartment complex. He said there is no form or proceedure but he would take note of Lao Po's married and maiden names.

So far the Social Security card has failed to arrive, the SS folks said it was sent, we had to wait 30 days and reapply using up one of the ten lifetime lost card replacements ... it's still not here.

We have also had a credit card for her fail to arrive.

Sigh ...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce, this may be a silly question, but did you go down to the post office and get her name added for delivery? Both the name listed in her passport and married name if different.

The USCIS has a non-forward policy and if for some reason the post office didn't have the name listed it is possible they returned it.

192225[/snapback]

Lee ... I went to our local Post Office and asked about this and they say there is no form or proceedure to add someone for delivery. I pushed and the lady talked to the shift supervisor who confirmed what the first woman said.

I talked to the letter carrier who is the regular at our apartment complex. He said there is no form or proceedure but he would take note of Lao Po's married and maiden names.

So far the Social Security card has failed to arrive, the SS folks said it was sent, we had to wait 30 days and reapply using up one of the ten lifetime lost card replacements ... it's still not here.

Sigh ...

234100[/snapback]

Jim,

Consider getting a post office box. I get all kinds of junk for other people in my P.O. box, it is just put in there.

You may also be able to make a label and put it on the outside of your delivery box showing all names currently at that address.

-James

Edited by jemmyell (see edit history)

192225[/snapback]

Sigh ...

234100[/snapback]

That's strange I've had to do that a couple of times. Let me try to locate the PO form number especially since they seem to not be able to deliver her mail to your address. I'd bet everything was returned since both agencies have a no forwarding policy.

You just gotta love living in the US some times. :)

Now just a thought, send a letter to your wife at home with your office address as the return address to see if it gets delivered or returned to you. If it comes back to your office then you can take it to the local postmaster and raise hell. It's one easy way to find out if they are blowing smoke.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)
This is what has happened since my last post:

After getting the denial, we immediately filed the Motion to Reconsider which asked them to reopen the case because we never recieved a RFE and had NOT abandoned the case.  In addition, we noted that we had called them numerous times and checked the website case status service continuously and were told that the case was being processed; we were never informed they needed further info.  On the advice of our congressman, we sent the Motion by certified mail and it was signed for by a USCIS employee well within the time limit for filing such Motions.  We also sent a copy at the same time to the congressman's office.

Three months went by and no word, not even acknowledgement of reciept.  Calls to the USCIS told us to be patient, that these motions take time, and that we would be contacted. We finally had our senator's office contact them and they replied that they HAD sent a RFE asking for the medical update, but that they didn't have any Motion to Reconsider from us.  We provided the certified mail reciept and a copy of the Motion.  After another long wait, they informed us that the Motion was denied because it hadn't been filed in time, using the date they recieved the COPY, months after the original was sent, as the date of reciept.

After further intervention from the senator, they finally acknowledged (sort of) that they had lost the original, but apparently aren't willing to accept the certified mail receipt, the copy, (and a letter from the congressman affirming that I had mailed their office a copy of the Motion on the same day as I sent it to the USCIS) as proof that it had been filed in time.  Instead they suggested we submit a 'sua sponte' request setting out the facts of the case and asking that the USCIS reopen the case on their motion.

So we did; but there is no telling how long it will take, and before long Ying's driver's license and EAD are set to expire, and so her job as a teller at a local bank are in jeopardy.  Since her official status is 'AOS denied' we don't know if we can renew them.

We will go to the Boston office next week to talk to an immigration officer about what we can do...

234061[/snapback]

I think things will get resolved; however, did you ever obtain the assistance of an immigration attorney. I think you need one just in case. If you have the funds to get an attorney, now is the time.

When we moved to Philadelphia, I sent a lot of our luggage items via US postal service. They are addressed to our P.O.Box. I sent 5 large boxes, two of them were sent back and had to be resent at our own cost. On those returned boxes, it was stated that they were not deliverable. We went to the post office to check what could go wrong, they told us those boxed would not have reached them. Later, my mother-in-law sent mails addressed to my daughter, it got returned. Happened more than once. Everytime we check with the Philadelphia post office, they would tell us if those mail every reached them, they would not have sent back.

The same thing happened again shortly before my daughter's birthday, at that time we were expecting mails from China (if those been returned, would be more costly). I called the US postal service 1-800 number, i.e., filed a complain (though not intended, but that was how my inquiry was handled).

Within a day or two, the post master called us in, and told us the problem was that there was only my husband's name was registered. So we added our names to the P.O.Box file. However, their explanation could not be true because the first two boxed were addressed to my husband and returned. There was just no point to argue without any clear evidence. (A handwritten line of words scribbled on the boxed without USPS employee's signature would not prove a thing.)

I am really frastrated with the postal service over in philadelphia (the post office in the little town my parents-in-law reside have alway provided wonderful services). They are in-considerate and rude, and negligant to their duty. I can't imagine what other important mails has be returned, at that time, my husband sent out a lot of application letters for the summer internship. We could never tell whether any replies got lost (fortunately most employers don't rely on postal letters). Only the grandma would let us know that the mailing system is not working properly.

I certainly fell frustrated for your Bruce and Ying. The the service of US government bureaucracy is going down hil fast! Hope this tangled mess is sorted out soon!

Best wishes!

This is what has happened since my last post:

After getting the denial, we immediately filed the Motion to Reconsider which asked them to reopen the case because we never recieved a RFE and had NOT abandoned the case.  In addition, we noted that we had called them numerous times and checked the website case status service continuously and were told that the case was being processed; we were never informed they needed further info.  On the advice of our congressman, we sent the Motion by certified mail and it was signed for by a USCIS employee well within the time limit for filing such Motions.  We also sent a copy at the same time to the congressman's office.

Three months went by and no word, not even acknowledgement of reciept.  Calls to the USCIS told us to be patient, that these motions take time, and that we would be contacted. We finally had our senator's office contact them and they replied that they HAD sent a RFE asking for the medical update, but that they didn't have any Motion to Reconsider from us.  We provided the certified mail reciept and a copy of the Motion.  After another long wait, they informed us that the Motion was denied because it hadn't been filed in time, using the date they recieved the COPY, months after the original was sent, as the date of reciept.

After further intervention from the senator, they finally acknowledged (sort of) that they had lost the original, but apparently aren't willing to accept the certified mail receipt, the copy, (and a letter from the congressman affirming that I had mailed their office a copy of the Motion on the same day as I sent it to the USCIS) as proof that it had been filed in time.  Instead they suggested we submit a 'sua sponte' request setting out the facts of the case and asking that the USCIS reopen the case on their motion.

So we did; but there is no telling how long it will take, and before long Ying's driver's license and EAD are set to expire, and so her job as a teller at a local bank are in jeopardy.  Since her official status is 'AOS denied' we don't know if we can renew them.

We will go to the Boston office next week to talk to an immigration officer about what we can do...

234061[/snapback]

I would stay in contact with my senator too, they can make things happen.

:roller:

Social Security card AND credit card came today!!  :D  :D

234215[/snapback]

Now we know that the postal service reads CFL also! ;)

-James

192225[/snapback]

Sigh ...

234100[/snapback]

The Post Office had my wife fill out a Change of Address card so that she would be registered for mail delivery at our residence.

You can pick up a Change of Address (COA) card at the local Post Office™.

The local Post Office carrier can bring a Change of Address card to your address.

You may print the Change of Address form from the Internet and mail or hand it in.

For a $1.00 verification fee, a domestic Change of Address request can be filed online.

For a $1.00 verification fee, a domestic Change of Address request can be filed by telephone.

Once completed, the form may be submitted to the local post office, handed to a mailperson or dropped into a collection box.

The card must be filled out completely (both sides) and signed.

No postage is necessary for a COA card.

Who Can File?

A Change of Address (COA) request must be filed by the addressee or by someone authorized to file such a COA.

The person who submits this COA form states that he or she is the person, executor, guardian, authorized officer, or agent of the person for whom mail would be forwarded under this request form.

Anyone intentionally submitting false or inaccurate information on a COA request form is subject to punishment by fines or imprisonment or both under Sections 2, 1001, 1702 and 1708 of Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.).

You should complete a Change of Address Card for each individual / business in which you are currently receiving mail.

Allow up to seven to ten postal business days from the effective date on the COA card to receive forwarded mail at the new address.

Note: (In most cases it takes a lot less time.)

Filing in Advance

It is recommended that a COA (Change of Address) be filled out a month before moving.

The COA may not be completed more than 3 months prior to moving.

I knew about the Change of Address but it didn't seem to apply for someone coming from China as I thought it was oriented toward forwarding US mail.

But perhaps I'm wrong ...

234337[/snapback]

I believe the key paragraph in the explanation of the Change of Address card description is,

"You should complete a Change of Address Card for each individual / business in which you are currently receiving mail".

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
I knew about the Change of Address but it didn't seem to apply for someone coming from China as I thought it was oriented toward forwarding US mail.

But perhaps I'm wrong ...

234337[/snapback]

I believe the key paragraph in the explanation of the Change of Address card description is,

"You should complete a Change of Address Card for each individual / business in which you are currently receiving mail".

234354[/snapback]

Perhaps the key is "change of address". This "card" has an "old" address and a "new" address. It is for changing addresses between two US addresses. It is a US Postal Service form. It has absolutely nothing to do with changing from an address in China to an address in the USA. The change of address card is filed at the post office corresponding to the "old" address. If your "old" address is not in the US, well, you get the picture.

If you are having difficulty receiving mail for a new person at your address, I suggest you directly notify the local letter carrier. If you cannot speak to them in person, leave a note in the mailbox. Also call the local postmaster and put them on notice. The letter carrier personally sorts mail for delivery on their route.

In some jurisdictions, mail delivery to an apartment mailbox requires the names to be placed on the boxes. Generally the names are not visible to the postal patron. They are only visible to the letter carrier when the master door is open. Your apartment manager has access to add a name.

If using a PMB like UPS store etc. regulations require that only mail for documented subscribers be placed in the box. A new used must be registered to legally receive mail. This is a mail fraud related registration.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

In our case, I don't think there is any problem with the post office (we have a PO Box); it's a very small town and they know Ying, who gets plenty of mail and has received everything else the USCIS sent us. We haven't moved or changed our address since she came here.

We'll see what happens next week....

In our case, I don't think there is any problem with the post office (we have a PO Box); it's a very small town and they know Ying, who gets plenty of mail and has received everything else the USCIS sent us.  We haven't moved or changed our address since she came here. 

We'll see what happens next week....

234493[/snapback]

I've had letters that were dated one month prior to the postmark on the envelope that arrived 3 weeks after the postmark, try to hang in there and if it goes too long you may want to make an Infopass appointment to try to get it resolved. The phone service usually only files a complaint and tells you not to call back for 30-90 days. :P

Had to deal with the same situation for my K1 visa a year ago.

We didnt recieve RFE bcoz Steve has reloaded to another state.

If you have changed your address, you should inform them.

Unfortunately, as we found out later that appearl will be more difficult then re-file, I am not sure about AOS tho.

You might want to call CIS and get contact from there first.