Fiance & Marriage Visas: A Couple's Guide To U.S.

Check to see if your local library has it.... no sense to buy it unless it is a real "keeper"

I never heard of it, so can't give you a review.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Fiance & Marriage Visas: A Couple's Guide To U.S. Immigration

ISBN 1-4133-0397-8

Is this book worth purchasing?  Has anyone on CFL read or purchased it?

191202[/snapback]

Very good book. Strongly recommend....

Book Link

Never heard of it. Yet, I would not dissuade you from reading and learning about this process....this is not something a person should be 'cheap' about.

HOWEVER: before I found CFL, I bought an online book written by immigration attorneys, and it did help me get started. But, some of the information was already outdated (when the govt changed the style of pose in passport photos, the book still promoted the old pose).

After I found CFL, I NEVER went back to that book...my personal opinion is if you spend the same time researching CFL as you would spend reading a book, I think you will get 10 times the information out of CFL, it will be more updated, and because the GZ consulate is so unique to the rest of the world, CFL is more specific to our journey.

Good luck!

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew
Never heard of it. Yet, I would not dissuade you from reading and learning about this process....this is not something a person should be 'cheap' about.

However, my personal opinion is if you spend the same time researching CFL as you would spend reading a book, I think you will get 10 times the information out of CFL.

191332[/snapback]

I partly agree with Ken, but you must be aware, and common sense should tell you that not all the advice you get here is accurate and on target. Ilona Bray, the author of the book has thoroughly researched the book, and presents accurate information. I think this is the fourth release. In it you will find information presented in a comprehensive manner. It's easy to read and contains many checklists....

Never heard of it. I just assume CFL provides more up to date information, and it is interactive.

191327[/snapback]

I have exactly the same vase like yours and I keep some green plants in it.

I bought it in Guangzhou. Where did you buy it?

Guest ShaQuaNew

One of the most important methods of research is to have more than one source. Immigration law is dynamic in that it's constantly changing, sometimes many times during the course of a year. For that reason it's important to stay up-to-date by visiting various websites, like DOS, USCIS, DOJ, etc.

I bought the book, and read in entirety the sections that pertained to my case. Because the book is well-produced by a talented team, you will find it comprehensive in its presentation, with language that is easy to understand. I would not suggest using this or any book, website, etc., as a single source of all you need to know information....

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Shaquanew,

Would this book be of any benefit to Shaffja or someone else at awaiting P-4 stage? CR-1? I'd assume most of it deals with initial applications and NVC???

191448[/snapback]

Good point... We are in the home stretch. And I have already gotten lots of info about the interview from CFL. If I don't find it at the Library I probably won't buy it.

shaffja, you and I are pretty much in the same waiting line, maybe a few days separate us at interview time, best we can do now is prepare for the interview and gather ALL our evidence.......

good luck

Guest ShaQuaNew
Shaquanew,

Would this book be of any benefit to Shaffja or someone else at awaiting P-4 stage? CR-1? I'd assume most of it deals with initial applications and NVC???

191448[/snapback]

The book not only covers the preliminaries, but AOS etc. A good book to have in one's library. Though there is an internet out there, I think there is still plenty of room for having hard-copy books on ones shelf.

Editorial Reviews

Mark Silverman, IImmigrant Legal Resource Center

"An excellent resource for people who are trying to wind their way through the immigration service's byzantine rules and regulations."

Lynne Parker, Supervising Immigration Attorney & Adjunct Professor, Santa Clara University School of Law

"Contains real-life, hands-on information that you won't find anywhere else.... "

Book Description

You're engaged or married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and all you want is the right to be together in the U.S. Should be easy, right? It's not. Information can be hard to find, the government bureaucracy isn't helpful, delays are inevitable. Worst of all, there wasn't an easy-to-use guide through the process -- until now.

Fiance & Marriage Visas makes obtaining a visa and green card as painless as possible. It helps you decide the fastest and best application strategy for you, whether you are married or unmarried, living in the U.S. or overseas.

With this friendly, comprehensive book, you can:

*understand the immigration process

*make your way through the bureaucracy

*prepare for meetings with U.S. officials

*learn how to prove your marriage is real

*deal with the two-year testing period

Plus, Fiance & Marriage Visas gives you helpful advice on protecting and renewing your green-card status.It also provides sample forms, and shows you how to find the forms you need online.

The 3rd edition is completely updated throughout, and provides new procedures for submitting "adjustment of status" applications and getting work permits. It also discusses a new policy for allowing some people to continue with their green-card applications sooner than before.

Download Description

"You're engaged or married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and all you want is the right to be together in the U.S. Should be easy, right? It's not. Information can be hard to find, the government bureaucracy isn't helpful, delays are inevitable. Worst of all, there wasn't an easy-to-use guide through the process -- until now. Fiancé & Marriage Visas makes obtaining a visa and green card as painless as possible. It helps you decide the fastest and best application strategy for you, whether you are married or unmarried, living in the U.S. or overseas. With this friendly, comprehensive book, you can: understand the immigration process make your way through the bureaucracy prepare for meetings with U.S. officials learn how to prove your marriage is real deal with the two-year testing period Plus, Fiancé & Marriage Visas gives you helpful advice on protecting and renewing your green-card status.It also provides sample forms, and shows you how to find the forms you need online. The 3rd edition is completely updated throughout, and provides new procedures for submitting ""adjustment of status"" applications and getting work permits. It also discusses a new policy for allowing some people to continue with their green-card applications sooner than before. " --This text refers to the Digital edition.

About the Author

Attorney Ilona Bray came to the practice of immigration law through her long interest and concern with international human rights issues. Before joining Nolo as legal editor in charge of immigration, she ran a solo law practice and worked for a number of nonprofit immigration agencies, including the International Institute of the East Bay and the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project. Ms. Bray was also an intern in the legal office at Amnesty International International Secretariat in London. She received her Bachelor's Degree in philosophy from Bryn Mawr College, and her law degree and a Master's degree in East Asian (Chinese) Studies from the University of Washington.

Read for yourself...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/141330397...glance&n=283155

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

This book is an excellent reference book to have. The author explains the dry government information in a KISS (Keep It Simple :lol: ) format that even cheffy can understand. She gives you a tremendous amount of information, covering just about any scenario you may be going through. I agree with Jesse, you can not have enough info. :lol:

ISBN 1-4133-0397-8

191202[/snapback]

Very good book. Strongly recommend....

Book Link

191330[/snapback]

Apparently some may not see the need for this, personally I just ordered it. We have a K-2 to process in the upcoming months, are currently running smooth on the AOS track, but there are some things that I feel it can possibly add especially concerning options for our son.

If all I do is allow it to collect dust, the few bucks spent will serve as a reinforcement to what I have already done, but if it saves me one minor bump in the remainder of the process then it was money well spent.

Thanks for the recommendation.

• 2 weeks later...

ISBN 1-4133-0397-8

191202[/snapback]

You asked about the book and even though my wife is here and AOS is moving along with the usual speed, I bought it.

Take a look at the bit of information found that may make life easier for many http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...ST&f=14&t=16130

Thanks