Chinese Womans Dresses

Stop by SF Chinatown on your way.

You can buy off the rack for very cheap and

have it fitted in China.

It would be better if you take her to the silk market

in GZ and have her choose the design and get it fitted.

They can do it in a day and for a cheap price if "you

wait outside". :D

My SO and myself are planning for her interview now for March and trying to make travel arrangements for her coming to the USA. She mentioned to me about a Ladies dress called a Qi Pao and I see they are very attractive dresses. I would like to surprise her with one or two of them. Any help on this?

186988[/snapback]

I am sure that she is considering whether she should bring a few with her to US. My suggestion is that you accompany her to a local tailor (or a tailor in Guangzhou), and help her select patterns and admire her when she tries them on.

Don't surprise her by buying a couple pieces for her without her presence! Or you will both be sorry. Qipao is not like T-shirt. It has to be fitted. The fitting is a must step in the tailoring process.

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

Yep -

Don't mess with the Qipao. You will be wrong. Go shopping with her until she finds some that look good and you'll reap the rewards. Trust me.

They can't be pulled off by all women though, as they are VERY form fitting.

I think my wife looks eye-popping in a Qipao, but then she is 5'3 110# with a very feminine figure. A good Qipao will cost you $100US even in China, so my wife isn't bringing very many here with her.

Yep -

Don't mess with the Qipao.  You will be wrong.  Go shopping with her until she finds some that look good and you'll reap the rewards.  Trust me. 

I think my wife looks eye-popping in a Qipao, but then she is 5'3 110# with a very feminine figure.  A good Qipao will cost you $100US even in China, so my wife isn't bringing very many here with her.

187101[/snapback]

I guess that's why this guy is doing good business: In the mood for the qi pao

I looked on eBay, wow, Roger was right (he usually is) lots of them there. Taking all of that into account I suppose the next thing is to find a good seamstress to fine tune the fit.

Yep -

Don't mess with the Qipao.  You will be wrong.  Go shopping with her until she finds some that look good and you'll reap the rewards.  Trust me. 

I think my wife looks eye-popping in a Qipao, but then she is 5'3 110# with a very feminine figure.  A good Qipao will cost you $100US even in China, so my wife isn't bringing very many here with her.

187101[/snapback]

I guess that's why this guy is doing good business: In the mood for the qi pao

I looked on eBay, wow, Roger was right (he usually is) lots of them there. Taking all of that into account I suppose the next thing is to find a good seamstress to fine tune the fit.

187157[/snapback]

Yep - that guy sounds like he has it down. Good to know since I hope to see my wife in Qipaos now and then for the next 30-40 years!

My wife had two custom made for her in Nanning.  Cost was about 50 bucks for both of them.  They look fabulous on her.

188135[/snapback]

While in Jhanjiang my last visit we got off the beaten path and I found a shop in a market place where I purchased two for my wife one sleeveless and the with sleeves, I paid $12.00 each and they fitted them for her. My wife is 5' 2" @ 106 #'s.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)