what chinese is spoken in beijing?

I believe it's pronounced "Jun", almost like  "June" or "Joon" but maybe slightly different. It seems like all their sounds are just a little different from ours.

I thought I knew how to pronounce "Jiaying", but I never could get her to respond to it, until recently.

185433[/snapback]

yes, I am having a hard time with the sounds. Words I can learn but her name, I am trying to learn.

I am getting a little lost by all the name in use.

I explain:

her chinese name is ¾ü which she writes jun.

However she her email writes it as geng and she always sign her emails somehow with "jutax"

So I am a little confused.

On the phone she teaches me to say " jen" however it's on the phone. "jen" is close to "jun" and "geng" in some way.

using the MSFT text to speach:

https://research.microsoft.com/speech/tts.asp

I get a "jin"

I am a little lost

. . . and it's "gwan" in Cantonese.

I think the others are some sort of variation (nickname or whatever).

When I have the most trouble is when I'm close and someone tries to correct me. For instance "xie xie" I can usually pronounce well enough to be understood, but when someone tries to correct it, I lose it completely.

. . . and it's "gwan" in Cantonese.

I think the others are some sort of variation (nickname or whatever).

When I have the most trouble is when I'm close and someone tries to correct me. For instance "xie xie" I can usually pronounce well enough to be understood, but when someone tries to correct it, I lose it completely.

185436[/snapback]

heheh right I know what you mean.

what chinese is spoken by shanghai ? she is originaly from there

How would you pronounce jutax ? in phonetic ?

Shanghai has "Shanghai-ese" , a dialect of 'Wu' and it is different than Mandarin or Cantonese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_dialect

It amazes me that my wife speaks three dialects of Chinese that all sound different, as well as English. We ignorant Americans *might* know two, but most people know English, and some can't even get that right - hehe

P. R. China is a big country with big population as well as 56 minorities.

Natively, the largest minority, Han, speaks Chinese. Nevertheless, there are a variety of Chinese dialects within geographicaly different areas, such as Cantonese, Shanghainese, Minnanese, Shandongnese, Sichuanese, and so on. But there is only one official language in China, Mandarin, which is strongly and widely commended by China government.

The official definition of Chinese Mandarin is a general speaking Chinese based on Beijing accent, Northen-China dialect and general Mandarin grammar.

This Chinese word, Jun, in my opinion the best pronunciation for it should be June. You can hardly pronounce this word exactly as the way in Chinese, so you have to make a compromise.

Don¡¯t be lost!

I've been told "Putonghua" is technically more correct.

185720[/snapback]

Putonghua is politically correct. To the PRC government, the official language is Mandarin. They, in classic old school Communist "everything is for the worker, the people, the state" propaganda, they claimed it as their own and called it the People's Language - Putonghua.

Maybe if the communist revolution had started in Canton, they would have proclaimed Cantonese as the People's Language? Or Shanghainese if it had started in Shanghai? Maybe, but having the largest number of people already speaking the language as a first language, it gives an instant bond of language to their cause.

I almost guarantee you, that if you go to Taiwan, they won't call it Putonghua. They will call it Zhongwen. hehe Why Taiwan also uses traditional characters... Simplified Chinese characters is a PRC creation. Personally, I like simplified! It's hard enough, thank you!!

Edited by mercator (see edit history)