I love a parade!

It is billed as one of the 10 top celebrations in the world and is one of the most famous Chinese communities outside of Asia. Yes, the time draws near and soon the Chicken will stand aside and make way for the Dog.

With the New year starting on the 29th, SF has much planned. The day we are looking to is Saturday Feb. 11 at 5:30 for the largest parade outside of Asia, and the last one held after dark remaining in the US.

Parade info

Jen and I plan to be there and hope that we can get any and all parties interested in attending. Shoot, we could almost call it a get together. :rolleyes: Detail could be worked out, but plans would probably include finding a good place for dinner either across the bay in Oakland's Chinatown or in the city itself. I'm sure parking would be a nightmare so PT including BART would be the transport of choice.

As for what to expect? I dunno. :huh: I have never been so this will be new to me as well. If you have plans on going, or will just be in the area, let's make a day of it.

Disclamer: The above clames are made by the promoters on the official website and have not been researched. Any claims of a better or more famous Chinatown should be addressed to Southwest Airlines, the sponsor of the SF parade. :lol:

Edited by Feathers268 (see edit history)
The date suggests maybe it is the Lantern Festival?

Feb 11 is late for new year's celebration isn't it?

It would make sense being after dark as well...

183370[/snapback]

I thought about that myself, but there is no mention of it being the Lantern Festival. I'd guess that it is more due to the best possible schedule for SF to seal withthe crowd.

Although I've never been to this event, I've done plenty in SF, Fleet Week, Fireworks, etc. to know how "wonderful" parking is in the city. I plan to drive only as far as Dublin/Pleasanton and then continue by BART. Your remember well Chinese Wife as the parade hits Market Street for a couple of blocks.

I would like to come, but cannot make it this time.

On the flip side, the LA parade is the 4th...

185428[/snapback]

That's too bad Jason. You and Joanna would be welcome any time. As it stands we have one other couple from CFL and my brother and his wife going. Any one else is also welcom, there is still time.

Jason, we both are looking forward to meeting up with you both in So Cal for CU IIhint, hint, hint

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Chinatown Saturday afternoon (till 17:00) for the "open market" activities.

After that we will go home and watch the parade on KTSF.

I will be wearing a green "Life is Good" cap, black REI vest, tan REI

GTX shirt and green Columbia pants with a nice looking Cantonese

girl by my side. Just like my photo. (tourist garb)

My wife is flexible if you have a plan.

May be a good idea to take BART as parking sucks.

Might see you there.

pkf :cheering:

Edited by pkfops (see edit history)

Wow, what an experience. If I had the chance to do the SF parade again, I'd stay home. :(

First I have to say that the people was just a bit over the top. Crowded streets so the women could not see and seemingly very little traffic control. Jen was not impressed and at times was almost hostle with the frustration.

As for the parade? Yes there were some dragons and lions, but, it seemed like for the most part it was like any other parade I have seen, and again, Jen was not impressed. <_<

We had some thoughts of a possible CFL event around the SF parade, but after this, I have to strongly advise against it.

I think Jen said it best," Next year I think we no look a this." :blink: