Police certificates - uncooperative police office

My girl lived in two different areas in Shenzhen within the last 5.5 years.

She lived at her present address for 1.5 years, and her old address for

about 4 years. So this means she has to go get 2 police certificates,

one for each location in Shenzhen.

My girl went to the police certificate from a local police station that

has jurisdiction over her area. They were able to issue her a certificate

with a date that covered only the last 1.5 years at her present address.

However, because this police station, only had jurisdiction over her

current address, and did not have jurisdiction over her previous old

address, they told her to get the other certificate at a different police

station that did have jurisdiction for that area.

Now, my girl went to the 2nd police station, and they were totally

uncooperative. They told her that since she did not live their now,

they had no way of validating anything. They refused any help with

issuing the police certificate covering the remain 4 years in the past.

Does anyone know if the previous 4 years are even required?

If it is required, I really do not know how to deal with this situation.

How is anyone supposed to get a police certificate when the police

themselves are not doing their job? Any advice would be helpful.

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan (see edit history)

:huh: I am not sure what to tell you and hope someone can give you a more clear answer than I can, however, I had thought that whoever issued the certificate would be able to provide status regardless of where she lived in China.

In this case, I would contact both the notarial office in the city, as well as the helpful police dept to see if there is any way they can assist.

Good luck, I realize that China govt workers make American govt workers look like highly motivated individuals ready to serve you. :blink:

My situation is similar to (probably worse than) Jonathan's. I was in Shenzhen with my wife over the last couple weeks when her P3 arrived. I accompanied her the city's notarial office where she was told to return to Sichuan, her home province, for a police certificate!! My wife has lived in Shenzhen (in different addresses) for the past 5 years at least. So I don't know how much luck Jonathan's girl friend will meet at the city's notarial office, unless of course she's originally from Guangdong province.

This has been quite frustrating for us. My wife cringes whenever any part of this process requires her to deal with public employees in her home country.

My situation is similar to (probably worse than) Jonathan's.  I was in Shenzhen with my wife over the last couple weeks when her P3 arrived.  I accompanied her the city's notarial office where she was told to return to Sichuan, her home province, for a police certificate!!  My wife has lived in Shenzhen (in different addresses) for the past 5 years at least.  So I don't know how much luck Jonathan's girl friend will meet at the city's notarial office, unless of course she's originally from Guangdong province.

This has been quite frustrating for us.  My wife cringes whenever any part of this process requires her to deal with public employees in her home country.

181716[/snapback]

Try giving "expedite" fees.

:)

yeah i had the same problem. my fiance has been living in beijing and dalian since he was 15, he hasn't lived in his hometown since then, but the offices in dalian and beijing wont give the certificates.

but everyone on these forums has been telling me that all we need is one national certificate which you can only get from the place where the hukou is. maybe the directions the consulate gave us were too generalized and not for china? i can see what US was thinking -- we have separate states with separate jurisdiction in the US so you would want one from every different state. but in china its a national certificate?

The terminology is something I do not understand.

What exactly is: "hou kou" and where is it located?

181785[/snapback]

Agreed with LeeFisher3, and as Jie put it to me, hou kou is the address on her family id. If you live in Shanghai, but your hou kou is in Beijing, then you need to go to Beijing.

Guest ShaQuaNew
It's simple.......

Go to hou kou.

Get police certificate - it's good for all of China.

181737[/snapback]

I've read in the FAQ that these certificates are good for one year from the date of issue. True?

It's simple.......

Go to hou kou.

181737[/snapback]

I've read in the FAQ that these certificates are good for one year from the date of issue. True?

181827[/snapback]

Yes, and the word comes straight from the USCONGUZ website, that the marital certs, police and birth certs are all good for one year from date of issue.

Guest ShaQuaNew
It's simple.......

Go to hou kou.

181737[/snapback]

181827[/snapback]

Yes, and the word comes straight from the USCONGUZ website, that the marital certs, police and birth certs are all good for one year from date of issue.

181828[/snapback]

Thanks Ken. Very helpful indeed. Was talking to my SO last night about it. She has one from May of last year. With any luck, and with fingers crossed, perhaps we can use that one at the interview.... :lol:

It's simple.......

Go to hou kou.

181737[/snapback]

181827[/snapback]

181828[/snapback]

Thanks Ken. Very helpful indeed. Was talking to my SO last night about it. She has one from May of last year. With any luck, and with fingers crossed, perhaps we can use that one at the interview.... :lol:

181829[/snapback]

Hey that would be great wouldnt it? We're pulling for you Jesse, that the next steps in the process make up for the time you guys have lost.

Also, I just bounced my head off the USCONGUZ website and copied the following, just for the record:

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/iv/kvfaq.html

What's the period of validity for medical reports and notarial certificates?

Notarial birth certificates, marriage certificates and divorce certificates have unlimited validity. Medical reports, notarial single certificates and police certificates are good for one year from the date of issuance.

Good luck to you guys !

You are correct that one year is the validity period, but many people go ahead and get an updated police certificate if the current one is more than six months old. The consulate is a stickler on the one year rule. I seem to recall a "blue slip" for a police clearance certificate that was one year and one day old.

It's simple.......

Go to hou kou.

181737[/snapback]

181827[/snapback]

181828[/snapback]

The birth certificate does not expire...

the hu ku is where they officially live. As I understand it even though many people move to other cities and work technically they are supposed to have permision from the government to move. This means they must go to the city of their official residence to get documents like police checks or birth certificates. Divorce decrees and birth certificates don't expire. Police checks and single certificates are techically good for a year but GZ likes them fresh. I would wait at least until your petition leaves NVC to get them