It has been awhile since I have posted. We are finally back from Penang and the holidays at mu mom's. We are settled in nicely. The wife was a little disappointed that the USA is much more liad back than in the movies. I said not everyone carries guns.

How long does it take to get the greencard once she enters the country. We are CR1 and wanted to get an idea how long I should wait until I start making phone call. It has been over 1 month already and we haven't gotten anything. They said at the POE it would be 2-3 weeks. She already has her SSN and card. Any advice?

Thanks,

Matt

so social security is before green card?

is there anything we should do to start planning any of this now to maybe speed up the process?

i suppose all she will need is a social security to get her drivers lic.

will she be able to drive with her chinese lic?

i mean what about these tourists that come over and rent cars?

so social security is before green card?

is there anything we should do to start planning any of this now to maybe speed up the process?

i suppose all she will need is a social security to get her drivers lic.

will she be able to drive with her chinese lic?

i mean what about these tourists that come over and rent cars?

181593[/snapback]

She needs an international driver's license, which is hard to come by in China. Otherwise, she will need to get her state driver's license after she arrives.

On a K-1, she will be eligible to get her Social Security card (Employment Authorization comes with the Visa, whether stamped Employment Authorized or not). All they needed was her passport.

How long does it take to get the greencard once she enters the country.  We are CR1 and wanted to get an idea how long I should wait until I start making phone call.  It has been over 1 month already and we haven't gotten anything.  They said at the POE it would be 2-3 weeks.  She already has her SSN and card.  Any advice?

Thanks,

Matt

181564[/snapback]

Our POE was Lax and it took about 10 days, however the form we received at POE said something like it may SIX MONTHS before you receive the GC and after 9-10 months to notify them!

Yes, it does seem yours is taking longer than most here but....

I'd also recommend you find/read the paper you got at POE!

181583[/snapback]

Can you please tell me what type of paperwork my wife should have or may have received at POE for CR1? She came through Seattle and all I can see is that her passport is stamped along with "CR-1 and her 2 year expiration date" written in pen on the stamp.

Her english is a little rough so I don't know what the POE officer told her, and if anything is in the works as far as the GC and SSN?

Bruce B.

It has been awhile since I have posted.  We are finally back from Penang and the holidays at mu mom's.  We are settled in nicely.  The wife was a little disappointed that the USA is much more liad back than in the movies.  I said not everyone carries guns. 

How long does it take to get the greencard once she enters the country.  We are CR1 and wanted to get an idea how long I should wait until I start making phone call.  It has been over 1 month already and we haven't gotten anything.  They said at the POE it would be 2-3 weeks.  She already has her SSN and card.  Any advice?

Thanks,

Matt

181564[/snapback]

I am actually surprised at how smooth everything has gone for my wife. She entered the country December 21, 2005, we went to the Social Security Office on December 28th received card January 5th. Received two Welcome To America letters from the USCIS. Then on January 13th her green card arrived, 24 days after arrival at POE LAX.

Thanks,

Matt

181564[/snapback]

Our POE was Lax and it took about 10 days, however the form we received at POE said something like it may SIX MONTHS before you receive the GC and after 9-10 months to notify them!

Yes, it does seem yours is taking longer than most here but....

I'd also recommend you find/read the paper you got at POE!

181583[/snapback]

Can you please tell me what type of paperwork my wife should have or may have received at POE for CR1? She came through Seattle and all I can see is that her passport is stamped along with "CR-1 and her 2 year expiration date" written in pen on the stamp.

Her english is a little rough so I don't know what the POE officer told her, and if anything is in the works as far as the GC and SSN?

Bruce B.

181637[/snapback]

My wife also had her passport stamped, the Temporary I-551 I believe, the only paper work I remember them giving us is the change of status notice for applying 90 days before the 2 year anniversary of her entry into the US.