Greetings and my first question

Welcome to CFL. You will find friends here. As I have said often before the decision whether to file K-3 or K-1 is a highly personal one. As mercator pointed out his wife's family wanted a marriage and so did she. If you look at it from a purely practical point of view K-1 wins hands down. Not only is it usually faster but there is less paper work, less filing fees, Changing her name to a married name is easier, she can get a social security number faster and there are less complications if a child is involved.

Welcome to CFL !

The K1 is quicker in two respects;

1) the process itself is faster

2) One can file immediately after meeting the first time.. so you can file for K1 NOW; If you wait to get married and then file, your adding this 'wait' on top of the process.

So the difference is often more than just the process...

good luck !

Guest pushbrk
Welcome to CFL !

The K1 is quicker in two respects;

1) the process itself is faster

2) One can file immediately after meeting the first time.. so you can file for K1 NOW;  If you wait to get married and then file, your adding this 'wait' on top of the process.

So the difference is often more than just the process...

good luck !

179675[/snapback]

Filing K1 now will also eliminate the time it takes to file and receive a receipt for the I-130. I'm assuming the holiday mailing and absentee rate are part of the delay but I have my I-129F ready to file for a K3/4 but have been waiting for the receipt and NOA1 on my I-130 since mailing it on December 12.

Faster doesn't mean K1 is the right choice for you (it wasn't for me) but there is every reason to expect it to be the fastest overall, considering all.

Welcome to CFL. I have joined recently, I am going the K1 route check my time below for a idea of the time.

Sounds like the time to make a decision is then. If you opt to marry in China, bring some documentation (single status, etc.) and bring both forms so you can get her input on them. I brought 129 and 130 with me when I went last time because I wasnt sure either, but I left GZ married, so there you go. Having her there to work on paperwork was a great bonus. visajourney.com has good guides to follow.

Greetings All,

Just wanted to thank everyone who gave me their input.  I'm about to make a decision, but still haven't decided which way to go.

I'm headed back to Guangzhou for my second visit in just a couple of weeks and I can't wait to get there.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

179867[/snapback]

If you marry in China you'll get a really cool little red book, jiehunzheng, and a really cool case to keep it in.

I agree with pushbrk's perception that expedience should'nt be the motivating factor in deciding which visa to pursue.

There has been some to think I was crazy to say such a thing. I can only sum that up in one way; "haste makes waste."

Theoretically, filling out the I-129F should take less time for a K3 than for a K1 because several items are omitted when using the petition for K3.

The I-129F was designed for the fiancee visa. It is only a substitute  form for K3's.

Thanks for pointing that out~! :)

179659[/snapback]

I loved my woman so much, I went to china and married her, then I filed I-130, got receipt mailed off I-129F. Look at my time line, I went from sending in paper work to package sent to GUZ in 3 months. My wife will hopefully get her P-3 soon, if i'm lucky she will be here in March April ish. Good luck to you.

Theoretically, filling out the I-129F should take less time for a K3 than for a K1 because several items are omitted when using the petition for K3.

The I-129F was designed for the fiancee visa. It is only a substitute  form for K3's.

Thanks for pointing that out~! :)

179659[/snapback]

I loved my woman so much, I went to china and married her, then I filed I-130, got receipt mailed off I-129F. Look at my time line, I went from sending in paper work to package sent to GUZ in 3 months. My wife will hopefully get her P-3 soon, if i'm lucky she will be here in March April ish. Good luck to you.

180024[/snapback]

Hunter, No doubt that your dealing with the VSC. Not all of us are so fortunate. Congrats on quick approval. GUZ is at least 4 to 5 months. Hopefully they really are speeding up.

Greetings All,

Just wanted to thank everyone who gave me their input.  I'm about to make a decision, but still haven't decided which way to go.

I'm headed back to Guangzhou for my second visit in just a couple of weeks and I can't wait to get there.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Black Hawk, Colorado

179867[/snapback]

If you marry in China you'll get a really cool little red book, jiehunzheng, and a really cool case to keep it in.

I agree with pushbrk's perception that expedience should'nt be the motivating factor in deciding which visa to pursue.

There has been some to think I was crazy to say such a thing. I can only sum that up in one way; "haste makes waste."

180017[/snapback]

Ty, I think that regaurdless K1 or K3, you should love your fiancee as would your wife. The commitment in your heart should out wheigh the buracracy behind the paperwork. I don't judge a K3 app as a sign of a man who loves his woman more deeply than a K1 app. Neither would I say a K1 is smarter because of a K3 that ends in divorce due to a hasty descision. Shit happens. I'm guessing that any member here came here because they want to be happy with the one they love. If K3 is faster, go for it. K1 faster, then wait.

The .gov says the descision to be married shouldn't depend on the speed of the visa, but why would anyone in there right mind make there descision based on what the goverments opinion is. Unfortunately there are VO's that feel a need to abuse there authority for passing out blue slips over frivolous reasons. If a Chinese female terrorist wants to be a threat to the US goverment, would she wait over a year for a 15 minute interview with a VO from GZ. I think that terrorists might be a little smarter than that.

The .gov says they are against forced marraiges. with the extremely long timelines and need to submit a legitmate case. They have forced all of us to marry sooner than we would like to. No marriaige = No Visa, "oh but we don't want to force you to marry." give me a break. They have the authority to take away our right to pursue happiness, does that make them smarter?

Oh god, I'm ranting again... you get my point. I'll spare everyone the rest of the "oh like duh, because we're your gov and we said so." kiss kiss till GZ lets your wife arrive. state what you really think after she's here.

Peace and Love

Welcome to CFL.  You will find friends here.  As I have said often before the decision whether to file K-3 or K-1 is a highly personal one.  As mercator pointed out his wife's family wanted a marriage and so did she.  If you look at it from a purely practical point of view K-1  wins hands down.  Not only is it usually faster but there is less paper work, less filing fees, Changing her name to a married name is easier, she can get a social security number faster and there are less complications if a child is involved.

179669[/snapback]

True Carl. Amy's been here 1 month. green Card and SSN in hand already.

yahoo... i still would go K1 if I had to do it all over again.