Bank Letter for I-134

Hi guys,

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Well I got another I-134 question. One of the supporting documents you can supply is the bank letter. The I-134 instructions mention that you need to include the total amount of deposits for the 'past year'. So, do they mean the 12 months leading up to the time you prepare the form (for example Dec 2004 - Dec 2005), or do they mean the 12 months from the prior year, so Jan-2004 - Dec-2004?

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know the answer, but I probably would use a common sense approach and provide the preceding 12 months of statements, if needed. I say "if needed" because the general consensus is that you don't need to provide proof of assets if you have sufficient income (as verified by the employer letter and tax return) to qualify. Some people go ahead an provide the asset information just to be safe.

Talk to your bank officer about this. Each bank has different policies on writing this type of letter and what they will sign. The bank letter is required if your savings rather than income are being used to meet the minimum income for support. If savings is used rather than exceeding the minimum income requirement then savings must equal 5 times the minimum requirement.

That said, I provided a letter from my back anyway along with 6 months statements and my income information just to show I had the ability to support her.

It is always better to have more than not enough. I believe the more given initially, the easier it is at interview.

Best of luck!

Talk to your bank officer about this. Each bank has different policies on writing this type of letter and what they will sign. The bank letter is required if your savings rather than income are being used to meet the minimum income for support. If savings is used rather than exceeding the minimum income requirement then savings must equal 5 times the minimum requirement.

That said, I provided a letter from my back anyway along with 6 months statements and my income information just to show I had the ability to support her.

It is always better to have more than not enough. I believe the more given initially, the easier it is at interview.

Best of luck!

178175[/snapback]

CitiBank calls this a "Consul Letter".

I just had them list all of my checking

and savings accounts, balance and date opened.

Try calling your banks customer service dept.

My bank would only give the opening date, average running balance of the past year, and current balance as of the date the letter was signed.

I have a problem here no-one else has. I am on disability and will run into. big problems it think.

My bank would only give the opening date, average running balance of the past year, and current balance as of the date the letter was signed.

I have a problem here no-one else has. I am on disability and will run into. big problems it think.

178233[/snapback]

That is what most banks will supply it seems. Does your disability income surpass the minimum requirement? That would be the critical question. If it does not and you do not have more than 5 times the minimum in liquid assests then you should look for a cosponsor.

Guest pushbrk

178233[/snapback]

That is what most banks will supply it seems. Does your disability income surpass the minimum requirement? That would be the critical question. If it does not and you do not have more than 5 times the minimum in liquid assests then you should look for a cosponsor.

178240[/snapback]

Whether or not and to what extent being on disability income has will depend on the permanence of the disability and the length of coverage on the policy.

For instance:

1. If you have a long term disability and a short term policy, I think you have a big problem unless you have the 5 times assets or co-sponsor.

2. If you have a doctor's statement that your disability is permanent and your policy benefit period is "until age 65". Provide both the doctor's statement (I would have it notarized) and confirmation of the benefit period and I think you'll be ok.

3. If you have a short term disability and you have a job waiting for you when you recover, then prove that and you'll probably be ok.

4. You are permanently disabled from you regular occupation and your "own occupation" benefit period is limited to 2 or 5 years, requiring you to find a job or go broke after the benefit period, then you should be considered "unemployed" after the benefit period expires. Then you'll need the assets or co-sponsor.

A co-sponsor is probably a good idea in any event. You'll also need to explain the nature of the disability.

All the above is based on my professional knowledge of disability insurance but on common sense only with regard to how a VO will look at the information.

Best of luck!

178175[/snapback]

CitiBank calls this a "Consul Letter".

I just had them list all of my checking

and savings accounts, balance and date opened.

Try calling your banks customer service dept.

178199[/snapback]

It seems some banks are easier with this than others. Mine can supply a letter but it won't include the total deposited amount. I'm thinking to compose the letter myself and go to the bank (with a spreadsheet & statements) and have them sign it.

[

4. You are permanently disabled from you regular occupation and your "own occupation" benefit period is limited to 2 or 5 years, requiring you to find a job or go broke after the benefit period, then you should be considered "unemployed" after the benefit period expires. Then you'll need the assets or co-sponsor.

A co-sponsor is probably a good idea in any event. You'll also need to explain the nature of the disability.

All the above is based on my professional knowledge of disability insurance but on common sense only with regard to how a VO will look at the information.

178246[/snapback]

I was wondering about the disability factor. I am on permenent disability. For life I guess you can say. Severely injured in a heavy truck crash a few years ago. And have been diagnossed with depression. Just got the disability this year. I think I have one thing in my favor, maybe not. I own my house I owe $58,000.00 on it and it's value is about 165,000.00. I think that may be a 5x factor. Other than that I have nothing.

I have all the papers fron the Gov for being awarded the SSD maybe that is good?

Edited by rlheim (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
EDIT: Re-read post and you don't YET have 1099's- Duhh!

Don't you get IRS forms 1099 in lieu of W-2's?

I know the I-864 better than I-134 but I checked the block "Öther" and reported income as "retired" here with 1099 income and I *believe* this would also be apply to a long term disability.

178328[/snapback]

If he just got the disability this year, he won't have the 1099 forms yet. I'm pretty sure you'll get them. What is not clear is whether the SSD is sufficient to qualify. Is it?

I do not know either. This is all new to me!!!! The social security disability pays enough to support one person. I am hopeing that my house value will be the help, that is what I am looking at. Quite a large sum of money in equity on the house.

Sure hate to see 2 years go down the drain with Yanlan and I. Sponsorship is out of the question with anyone I know. That is why I am asking these questions

Rick :lol:

Edited by rlheim (see edit history)