6 months visit of wife's parents from China

Hi,

I am a us citizen and married my wife in Beijing about 30 months ago.

She has her green card now and it expires in about 10 years.

We would like to bring her parents her for about 6 months for a visit.

They have traveled to russia in the past and have ties to China with

grandchildren living in China.

Here is my question. I dont have a clue what paperwork is needed

except I do know an affidavit of support is required.

I hope someone reading this has already done the paperwork and

can tell me what forms to fill out. If I need some type of invitation

letter, I would like to find out what the format of the invitation

letter should be.

any lessons learned would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Randy and Hong

http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/touristbusiness.html

Non-immigrant Visas

Business and Tourist Visas (B-1, B-2 Visas)

Applicants for B1 and B2 visas must demonstrate their intention to enter the U.S. for a temporary period, solely for the purpose of tourism and/or short-term business. Applicants must also demonstrate sufficient funds to cover travel expenses during their stay in the U.S; as well as sufficient social, economic, and other ties to their home country to compel the applicant to return after a temporary and lawful visit.

Required Documents All applicants must present the following documents at the interview

Valid Passport If your passport will expire less than 6 months from your planned arrival in the United States, or is damaged, or you do not have a page for a visa, please get a new passport before your interview.

One Photograph: Two inches square color photograph, less than 6 months old, against a white background, full frontal view. The photo should be glued to the English DS-156, Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form. Click here for more information on photo requirements.

Original Bank Receipt for Application Fee The 810 RMB application fee may be paid at any CITIC Bank branch in China. Please note that the fee is non-refundable; no refund will be made if the visa is denied or if the applicant decides not to pursue an application. The original fee receipt must be presented when the visa application is submitted at the Embassy. Only applicants for A-1, A-2, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, C-3, NATO, and U.S. Government-sponsored visas are exempt from the application fee. More information on visa application fees>>

Two Completed DS-156 Application Forms – in both English & Chinese The three page English form should be filled in online, printed, and signed. The Chinese form is available for download or available without charge at CITIC Bank.

Two Completed DS-157 Application Forms - in both English & Chinese

Suggested Documents Besides the above essential items, certain visa categories require additional documentation. Do you have the additional documentation? Note: this is not an exhaustive list and presentation of these documents does not guarantee visa issuance.

Proof of Ties to China Proof of economic, social, family, or other commitments that will help demonstrate your intent to return to China after a temporary stay in the U.S.

Invitation Letter If you are invited to visit someone in the United States, it might be helpful to provide information about who is inviting you, purpose of travel, and planned itinerary or schedule

Proof of Finances Proof that you can support yourself during your entire stay in the U.S. without working.

If Traveling for Business Please consider bringing specific information about where you will go, who you will meet, what you will discuss, and what products you plan to buy in the United States

If Going to Visit Family You should provide proof that you have a genuine, ongoing relationship with the person inviting you, and you should consider providing information about their immigration status in the U.S.

Guest pushbrk
Hi,

I am a us citizen and married my wife in Beijing about 30 months ago.

She has her green card now and it expires in about 10 years.

We would like to bring her parents her for about 6 months for a visit.

They have traveled to russia in the past and have ties to China with

grandchildren living in China. 

Here is my question.  I dont have a clue what paperwork is needed

except I do know an affidavit of support is required.

I hope someone reading this has already done the paperwork and

can tell me what forms to fill out. If I need some type of invitation

letter, I would like to find out what the format of the invitation

letter should be.

any lessons learned would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Randy and Hong

178138[/snapback]

I am certainly no expert on this subject. My first advice is that you need to look for advice on a forum that deals with this specifically, with respect to China. I hope there is one.

It would seem from the information provided here that the USA goverment is looking for concrete reasons the applicant is sure to return to China. Having family does not seem to be compelling. Home, property, carreer, substancial assets and history of other international travel are much more important.

I would think retired people would be somewhat problematic. Putting myself in the shoes of a Visa Officer, I would want to see compelling reasons for returning to China. I don't know just what is acceptable but I'm hoping the following might be.

Wife's brother is Professor at University. He owns a five location retail clothing store. His wife owns a similar business. Together they own two homes. They wish to come for a short visit. Nothing like six months.

I hope that if they submit proof of their carreers, and holdings in China, they will be approved.

I do not expect that my wife's retired and widowed father would stand much of a chance.

Of course, I could be wrong about all the above. I'm just trying to put myself in the shoes of the Visa Officer.

Guest pushbrk
What you (pushbrk) say about proof of ties to China is correct. However, siblings stand a much lower chance of being approved. Parents are almost always the only relatives to get the visitor's visa.

178146[/snapback]

While I trust that is true, I also suspect there is more to it than statistics. Parents who can meet the support (themselves) requirements are probably statistically more likely to get approved than parents who depend on their children for support. The number of immediate family remaining China would also be a factor along with numerous others.

Well established and propertied siblings would seem more likely to be approved than dependent parents. Statistics are fine but I doubt the VO looks at the statistics the same way you do.

This is why I suggest that one get information from those who can offer the specific experience needed for the circumstances at hand.

And, I'm leaving out some pertinent information about my father in-law. :-)