Letter form to congress et. al.

I cannot remember who originated this template which I found a while back on this forum (most likely Angry Texan or Jon in Denver). I have modified it quite a bit to suit my case. You might want to do this also.

(Small pic of you and your sweetie here).....................your name, address, fax

(Someday, 2x Feb., 2003)

Dear Senator (Name)

I would like to discuss directly with you the situation regarding my fiancé's visa. Having started this process back in late October, 2001, we were excited to finally have our visa interview on 08/08/02. Over 9 months of waiting was over, or so we thought. But after being approved at Guangzhou Consulate on August 8, 2002, instead of being given a visa, my fiancee was given the "white slip" stating that because of increased security measures......it would take 6-8 weeks more before her visa was issued. That 6-8 weeks has now taken MORE THAN 6 MONTHS!

Along with thousands of others, my fiancée in China is still awaiting her visa even as a trickle of visas have been issued to people who interviewed much later than my fiancée. We have been told by Maura Harty's office that namechecks normally clear in 2 days to 2 weeks. Though more than 6 weeks have passed since our last namecheck resubmit (Jan. 4, 2003), we have had no movement on our case.

Please understand how WE see things. WE played by the rules. WE did not sneak our brides into the country illegally. WE paid every fee, WE filled out every form, and We jumped through every hoop. WE are good Americans. WE have repeatedly been fed misinformation, form letters, and promises by our government. WE have been suffocated under piles of misinformation now for so long we can hardly breathe.

On behalf of myself, my waiting bride, and the THOUSANDS of Americans and their family members who are effected by this, I implore you to do whatever you can to help us get the visas for which we have been approved, and get on with our lives. We are only asking for our chance at Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Of the namechecks for applicants who interviewed as late as December 2002 and were submitted on January 4, some ALREADY HAVE their visas! Needless to say, we are at our wits end as we are passed by again.

See our timeline chart on next page. In my last contact with . . . , Mr/Ms Xxxxxx told me that . . . We have still heard nothing from GZ.

Respectful Regards,

your name, phone, email

CA = Consulate Affairs

CSC = California Service Center in Laguna Nigel, CA

DOS = Dept. of State

GZ = Guangzhou

NOA = INS "Notice of Approval"

P3 = Packet 3 from GZ (forms to return)

............................. OUR VISA TIMELINE............................

DATE ........................... MY ACTION ...........................RESPONSE FROM

Good work Wolfman. The only thing I might add is putting "Assistant Secretary of State" before Maura Harty's name. A copy of this also needs to go to Powell's office, although I'm sure he's focused on another problem right now.

Everyone needs to FAX this to both of their US Senators and their Reprersentative this week.

A copy of this also needs to go to Powell's office, although I'm sure he's focused on another problem right now.

Everyone needs to FAX this to both of their US Senators and their Reprersentative this week.

I don't care where Powell is focused, be it Iraq, N. Korea, or whatever. SOMEBODY in his office will see the faxes and tell him.

VERY IMPORTANT: As Texan said, everyone needs to send these faxes this week. Modify the letter so that it reflects your own case and use your own timeline. It is worth this time and effort to get your love home, is it not?

Anybody don't know how to contact their officials? THEY ARE RIGHT HERE

Any other public officials you need contact info on, I will be happy to share what I have. In return, I ask only that you do actually contact them.

I agree with sending fax's to Powell. But how do we avoid the dilution of our message when we each contact our representative and get the standard two responses:

1. "We are aware of the problem - but there is nothing we can do."

2. "We can help you individually but cannot solve the overall problem."

How will they ever understand the depth of the problem if each only gets one or two letters? What if we also target members of committees that oversee INS?

Dave

Good point, Dave, and good idea to target the committee members. Can someone get their contact info?

Point #2: As a few have mentioned, I recall Jon, Tex, Tine; each of us need to get his respective representative involved. Jon's rep has asked him for reports of others who have been working with their reps, so he can combine voice with these reps in the Congress.

Yes, since I live in Nevada, it is likely my reps will only receive a few letters, but these NV reps can combine with their congressional colleagues. Jon, maybe you can explain this concept better than me since it was your rep who mentioned it?

Good point, Dave, and good idea to target the committee members.  Can someone get their contact info?

Point #2:  As a few have mentioned, I recall Jon, Tex, Tine; each of us need to get his respective representative involved.  Jon's rep has asked him for reports of others who have been working with their reps, so he can combine voice with these reps in the Congress.

Yes, since I live in Nevada, it is likely my reps will only receive a few letters, but these NV reps can combine with their congressional colleagues.   Jon, maybe you can explain this concept better than me since it was your rep who mentioned it?

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....1d4f18c618bf51e

Great! I had seen that post but forgotten about it. Now after you all get the names of the committee members from the link above, you can paste the name of each committee member HERE to get the contact info on him. :angry:

Good work Wolfman.  The only thing I might add is putting "Assistant Secretary of State" before Maura Harty's name. A copy of this also needs to go to Powell's office, although I'm sure he's focused on another problem right now.

In fact, Powell will be in China this week. How ironic! :angry:

Powell in China? Good! Then he will perhaps see that they are not terrorists! Maybe when he returns home and reads his pile of faxes, he will pay us some attention.

One other thing that I forgot to put into this letter is links to any relevant websites. . . such as this forum. Someone once suggested (Ana, I think?) including a link to your personal story or home page if you have one.

I am still polishing the letter. I have put "Assistant Secretary of State" before Harty's name. Whatever I letters I have will go out beginning Wednesday, 26.

What if we also target members of committees that oversee INS?

There are over 30 members in this committee. I am compiling a list with their phone and fax numbers. Instead of each of us sending his same letter to each of them, what do you think of each of us choosing about half a dozen of them to write to? Then each following week we trade members and write to another half dozen.