What makes your SO happy?

Perhaps we can do something about helping each other out a little.

When my wife arrived in OZ, one of the things that I needed to do was re-arrange our private health insurance. The insurance company was offering some insurance which I took up, one was surgery insurance, if she has to go have an operation, there will be some money paid to her, the other was disability insurance for her.

For a total of $AUS2 per week, it made her very happy, something that surprised me. Does anyone else have stories like this?

When my wife arrived in OZ, one of the things that I needed to do was re-arrange our private health insurance.  The insurance company was offering some insurance which I took up, one was surgery insurance, if she has to go have an operation, there will be some money paid to her, the other was disability insurance for her. 

For a total of $AUS2 per week, it made her very happy, something that surprised me.  Does anyone else have stories like this?

173084[/snapback]

Being secure is very important to a Chinese woman. Financially, health-wise, emotionally, etc. Knowing you are looking after her health is a huge plus about you in her eyes.

I am speaking generally of course, but culturally, comfort and security is very important in the mind of a chinese woman, and psychologically someone who just uprooted their entire life to be with you.

if you have a pension plan or a good retirement account, let her know about it and get bonus number two ;) Not because she wants your money, but because you are fiscally responsible and you'll be comfortable in your golden years together. (fuzu de (富足的)- financial security has its own special verb ;) )

I'd be interested to hear of your stories and struggles getting your wife to OZ. Do you have timelines as long as we endure?

Edited by mercator (see edit history)
Rule number one:  Always do what you say and do it quickly.  Don't slough off your commitments.

Rule number two:  See Rule number one.

173306[/snapback]

Rule number three--If you forgot to do rule number one--Lie about it and do so quickly and decisively!!!!!!!!!

173311[/snapback]

Rule number four, don't forget rule number one!!!

The visa process in OZ took me 8 months from application to visa being granted. Where the US process appears to have many steps, the australian process has basically just a few.

1. The application is made including all of the evidence.

2. The overseas spouse is then called to provide police and medical checks. 3. An interview is done, generally over the phone.

4. Visa is granted (or not). This is a 2 year temporary visa.

5. After 2 years, permanent residency is given provided the couple have not separated or divorced.

In my case, my wife failed the interview, mostly on the basis of her poor english skills. I complained through my lawyer after which I was granted a phone interview with some questions in chinese to prove an ability to communicate. Lina was phoned about a week later with the news that she should send her passport to have the visa affixed.

She now has practically all of the rights of an australian citizen, except for access to the social security system. Given that I have a job with slightly better than average income, she would not qualify even if she were an australian citizen.

I'm always surprised at the timelines on this site, the US government process looks like a pig's breakfast to me. Feel free to disagree.....

When my wife arrived in OZ, one of the things that I needed to do was re-arrange our private health insurance.  The insurance company was offering some insurance which I took up, one was surgery insurance, if she has to go have an operation, there will be some money paid to her, the other was disability insurance for her. 

For a total of $AUS2 per week, it made her very happy, something that surprised me.  Does anyone else have stories like this?

173084[/snapback]

It is not the $$ that makes her happy, it is the caring for her that you showed to her which made her happy. :blink:

I assume you are someone who had not little but some life experiences to do things like that. And that is really appriciated by women.

Edited by rosyanne (see edit history)

173084[/snapback]

Being secure is very important to a Chinese woman. Financially, health-wise, emotionally, etc. Knowing you are looking after her health is a huge plus about you in her eyes.

I am speaking generally of course, but culturally, comfort and security is very important in the mind of a chinese woman, and psychologically someone who just uprooted their entire life to be with you.

if you have a pension plan or a good retirement account, let her know about it and get bonus number two ;) Not because she wants your money, but because you are fiscally responsible and you'll be comfortable in your golden years together. (fuzu de (¸»×ãµÄ)- financial security has its own special verb ;) )

I'd be interested to hear of your stories and struggles getting your wife to OZ. Do you have timelines as long as we endure?

173276[/snapback]

Yes... we...women are seeking for secure feeling... :o