How would I go about finding local Chinese women

Hi All,

Wife will be here on the 30th!!! Yea Yea Yea...

It is now time to begin doing things differently, and start doing things that will make my wife happy and content. My concern is that she may become lonely here. I work very long hours and at this time am working 7 days a week. I need to help her find friends in the area to do things with. We live in a small city and the house is a bit "rural". There is a large military base 30 or so miles away - so I am sure there are other Chinese ladies in this area.

My question is HOW do I go about locating some Chinese women in my area for her to have as friends? My wife speaks little english, so especially at first - I think it will help if I can find some mandarin speaking ladies. Any suggestions on how we can seek out these ladies to have as friends?

Thanks,

Scott

Agree with Pete... that's how we got our ESL connection as well.

If there's any chinese markets.. visit.

If there's a chinese school for learning chinese (or a church), visit.

When out and about, don't be shy to walk up and talk to an asian woman to see if she is chinese.

We also have had friends say, "we know a chinese couple, we'll have you all over together for dinner"... Accept the invitations..

If there is a strong Chinese population in your area, you might try and see if there are any Chinese taking ESL courses at the local Community College. However, from my experience, Chinese people are generally indifferent and cool to others, even other Chinese, and I doubt that any of the above mentioned ideas will yield much success in establishing a helpful friendship.

My suggestion is to just put her into ESL, let her find whatever friends she can, and let her be as "American" as possible. I know her English needs to improve, but she'll improve faster if she is not "given" to a Chinese community (if you even have one) and she'll probably integrate into your lifestyle faster if she doesn't gang up with other Chinese.

If there is a strong Chinese population in your area, you might try and see if there are any Chinese taking ESL courses at the local Community College. However, from my experience, Chinese people are generally indifferent and cool to others, even other Chinese, and I doubt that any of the above mentioned ideas will yield much success in establishing a helpful friendship.

My suggestion is to just put her into ESL, let her find whatever friends she can, and let her be as "American" as possible. I know her English needs to improve, but she'll improve faster if she is not "given" to a Chinese community (if you even have one) and she'll probably integrate into your lifestyle faster if she doesn't gang up with other Chinese.

170764[/snapback]

I agree 100%

170764[/snapback]

I agree 100%

170878[/snapback]

I was thinking the same when I first read Scott's post but didn't want to post anything about it for concerns of it being misconstrued.

An accurate assertion, RJZ+JCW.