Chinese dresses

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is reluctant to wear her long Chinese dresses here. What kind of affair does it take to get your wife in hers?

The dresses are definately a part of their culture that should stay with them.

170077[/snapback]

Personally, I don't have this problem. IMHO this has to with the particular woman and her individual upbring.

Yin has about 20 quipaos, and wears them often. Since she is coming to the US she is obtaining about another 15 since she doen't like what she has seen on-line that is being sold in the US. She wears them from shopping, to working in the office. She has special ones that she wear for formal affairs. In my photo album, she was wearing one of her more formal ones that she owns. She refused to wear the ones that the photography studio provides for their clients.

She has already told me that she will wear them in the states in the the same way that she wears in China now. She wants people to know that she is a traditional Chinese woman and is proud that she is Chinese.

IMHO, I feel sorry for some of the SOs and their husbands, who try to acclimatize themselves, and lose one of the most beautiful traditions to come from China. The traditional quipao highly accents a Chinese womans beauty. Instead they settle for blue jeans, etc. to blend in.

Yes, those dresses are for special occasions.  In movies, girls wore them at brothels.

170190[/snapback]

Tony,

Well stated, and your implied point is SO WELL received and understood. My personal thanks for your fantastic insight and enlightening views! I couldn't have put it better myself!

Yes, those dresses are for special occasions.  In movies, girls wore them at brothels.

170190[/snapback]

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean Tony. Are you saying Chinese women look like hookers in these dresses? If so I saw a lot of hookers in China.

170190[/snapback]

Ttlee_99

I will not even dignify you by your name as an utterly contemptible “persona non grata.” I will not flame anyone deliberately. However, from you’re most recent posting this one deserves a flamethrower. The Russian people have a proverb that states; “The hardest thing to catch is a spoken word. Once it has left, it may never be able to be caught again!” My dear sir, you are living, breathing proof of this proverb.

Your comment is as what you stated from your own hands and thoughts, and I quote you:

“Yes, those dresses are for special occasions. In movies, girls wore them at brothels.”

My wife wears quipaos frequently to work. She wears them when she shops. She wears them for elegance and grace that is inherent to every Chinese woman, no matter how great or little her beauty may be. She is a cell supervisor and it is a signature of her authority. No more that an executive in the US wears a white shirt, tie and has 14K gold pens in his/her pocket and a corner window.

Let me delve into and understand your syllogism that you have pontificated to this forum:

1) Quipaos are worn for special occasions.

2) Quipaos are not worn for regular occasions.

3) Many Chinese women who were quipaos are movie stars in brothel movies.

Ergo: Women who do wear quipaos for regular occasions and are not movie stars, must be prostitutes in a brothel. Submit this to a philosophical truth square and the same answer turns up every time. They are three things:

1) They movie stars.

2) They are prostitutes.

3) They are attending a special occasion.

Nice syllogism that you formed. How was this syllogism formed? Months, hours, minutes and seconds of deep, deep self reflecting logic and weighing of points must have gone into this syllogism that you have so gracefully, eloquently and proudly espoused. Better yet not only to my wife, but also to every single Chinese woman that might read this posting. I won’t even mention the spouses of the Chinese loved ones, which are so “casually” refer to as their SOs.

I have seen people in life such as you. I have been exceeding tolerant of many inane and naïve questions in this forum. However, they are only seeking happiness, of which I was able to give my two jiao to help make them happier, than I have given myself to a greater good. However, your deep thoughtful endeavors lead me to one Murphy’s adages; “When things are dark, watch out they can go totally black!”

You SIR owe every Chinese woman (and women like Sylvia) an explanation, whether or not she is or has been a prostitute, and my wife an explanation and a public forum apology! I have never been so deeply insulted in all of my life. In my presence if these statements were made to me in person: I assure you of this, you would not have walked away! It is extremely hard to anger me. You sir, have been able to accomplish this with 14 words! A new world record! I believe that you once stated in a posting that you were raised in a Chinese influenced family. How a person like you can make the statement that you did, defines even the greatest extents of imagination of every man and woman in this forum! Or are you lying about this? A person who even the slightest bit upbringing in an oriental family would have understood that a quipao, defines elegance and grace. It also, in a huge way makes a cultural statement of the status of the wearer. It shows that they are not garbage haulers or “untouchables!” However, I forgot, you are from an oriental influenced family! You probably already knew this!

I mentioned that Yin occasionally reads this forum. She also saw both yours and my postings. She was very, very deeply insulted. She stated that no man has ever so publicly humiliated her in this manner. I should point out that she reads English very well, and she understood every word that you wrote. She also understood your train of thought and logic.

Myself, and I’m sure a small minority of this forum who have read your posting eagerly. There are the word of Kang Fan Tzu, who stated; [sic..The actions, deeds and thoughts of a man define his level of his manhood…] You sir, have a lot of explaining to do. I will leave you to your own devices! However, I’m sure that many who have seen your posting and I, all waited with baited breath! YOU OWE THE WOMEN IN THIS FORUM AN APOLOGY AND AN EXPLANATION!

By the way, if I’m banned so be it! It is little skin off my nose! I have already sent a PM to a moderator what my thoughts and feelings are.

I should clarify. The two statements I made are not connected. Long dresses are for special occasions. They are wore on wedding, banquet, or at fancy restaurants. Women usually don't wear them for work, for shopping or go to the park.

I am a big fan of Chinese movies. I am just saying that movies like EROS and 2046 like to portray women in long dresses as call girls.

My wife doesn't like to wear them because she said they are older-style. She likes modern clothes.

I did not imply in anyway that women who wear them are prostitutes. If I offended anyone, I appologize.

Edited by ttlee_99 (see edit history)