Favorite Recipes

Most people don't know about this, except Black people or someone from the West Indies, the name kind of scares people. Oxtails... Cooked properly, it is the most tastiest beef there is.

I would perfer Oxtails(actually a cow's tail) more than a very good steak, I like it that much.

It is made by other ethnic groups, such as people of spanish background.

My mom cooked it the best, but over about 15 years, I finally got the method right and anyone who eats it once is hooked. My 10 year old son is very pick eater, doesn't like many foods, but this is one he is crazy about. The meat is very tender and flavorful. Actually thier growing popularity has made them more expensive than most steaks per pound of actual meat.

My first clam ... soup

I fixed the clam... soup tonight for dinner.  I dare not to call it a clam chowder.

This past weekend was very cold.  I didn't go to the reading terminal market.  Couldn't find fresh thyme and clam from the local grocery store.  With the canned baby clam, I decided to go with James' recipe.

When I was about to start cooking, I realized that I forgot to buy bacon.  Well, hubby would think it's to fat anyway, I decided to substitute with ham, so chopped a little bit of ham.  I first heated a little vegi oil in the pan, added ham bits, stir fried the ham.  While cooking, chopped half an onion and two twigs of celery.  After adding a little butter to the cooked ham, I dumped in the chopped onion and celery.  Then I opened the frig to take out the potatos, nothing there.  Now I was sweating, realized that the potatos I bought for this event were used for the chicken stew yesterday. :o What would I do?  Should I go ahead add some tomatos to make it Manhattan style, I asked hubby, we are out of potatos? :unsure:  (I figured, "red" must have come from tomatos)  Hubby replied half-heartedly: Manhattan style got potatos in it, too.  No alternatives for tonight dinner, I just have to go ahead adding the clams to this thing.

(I turn the oven knob to 170F.  The actual temperature might be around 250F.  Wrapped half loaf of French sourdough bread with Aluminum foil and tossed into the oven.)

I stirred the vegis till onion turned golden (as instructed), then added canned clams, the juice and some water, then a pinch of celery seeds, a bay leave and a pinch of thyme.  Shortly after it boiled, I mixed some wheat flour with some cold whole milk, then added this mixture to the pot and stirred.  The soup quickly thickened, too thick, so I added some more milk to the pot and stirred some more.  Still looked too thick, so I added a little more milk.  Then I thought, since there was no potato, the soup might taste a bit plain, so I added a little frozen corns.  After a couple of minutes, I tasted the soup.  Mmmm, taste pretty good, no salt needed.  I turned off the heat and call it done. 

(By this time, the bread in the oven was also warm and ready)

Hubby tasted this soup, and exclaimed "It tastes good.  It is clam chowder!"  He ate a lot, more than he would of a real clam chowder. :)

I hope that Chef, after reading the above, would not be disgusted for I ruined the art of cuisine. :P

192409[/snapback]

Hi Joanne,

I think you did great!

The REAL art of cookery is making do with the ingredients that you have on hand. I'll bet it really was very good. You can always tell if the person you have cooked for is sincere in their praise by how much they eat! I was going to recommend DiCarlo Extra Sour sourdough bread. Can you get that in PA?

San Luis sourdough is my favorite, and they have a San Luis style in Vons made by the same bakers.

-James

Since the Olympic are going on now this Pizza maybe just what the Doctor ordered. It is a veggi pizza but with a little bit of thought you can really send this to great heights.

Pizza Olympia

Total time: 25 minutes. Bottled roasted red bell peppers taste delicious. They are often less expensive than fresh peppers, and they help to slash prep time. The feta cheese will not melt, so use the crust's golden color as an indicator of doneness.

1 (10-ounce) focaccia, cut in half horizontally

1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 teaspoons dried oregano

1 (7-ounce) bottle roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped

1/2 cup chopped red onion

1 tablespoon drained capers

1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese

Preheat oven to 450°.

Place focaccia halves, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Combine minced garlic, tomato paste, and dried oregano in a small bowl; spread evenly over focaccia halves. Top evenly with roasted peppers, onion, and capers; sprinkle with feta cheese. Bake at 450° for 12 minutes or until focaccia is golden. Cut each pizza in half.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great Lentil season dish of really for any time. A glass of Chardonay hits the spot with it.

Easy Baked Fish Fillets

Haddock or cod would make good substitutes for the grouper. Adjust the baking time depending on the thickness of the fish.

1 1/2 pounds grouper or other white fish fillets

Cooking spray

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

1 tablespoon mayonnaise

1/8 teaspoon onion powder

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs

1 1/2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, melted

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 425°.

Place fish in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine lime juice, mayonnaise, onion powder, and pepper in a small bowl, and spread over fish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs; drizzle with butter. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Sprinkle with parsley

• 5 weeks later...

I am making beef soup for dinner.

Hubby likes to have soup every day. I kind of run out of idea for cooking. At the grocery story this morning, I was wondering what to cook for tonight, then I saw beef and thinking I haven't made western beef soup for years, why don't try that. Then I called mother-in-law, quickly refreshed the memory of a beef stew "recipe". Bought about 2 and half pound of beef soup chuck.

Slightly before noon, I started browning the beef. First added vegi oil to a large pot/pan, threw in the rinsed beef pieces. Then I thought it might brown better if I chop them up to smaller pieces. Using my Chinese cleaver knife, I tried to piece them with one hand holding the meat. Too hot! Reluctantly, I pull out the cutting board (meaning I have to wash the board afterwards :roller: ). Cutted ieces were thrown back to the pot to brown. Then I recalled chef's clam soup recipe, thinking a little bacon might add good flavor (secret ingredient. Won't tell hubby :P ). So I pulled the already washed cutting board and chopped a couple slices of bacon, lean part). Washed the cutting board again :roller: .

After a few cycles of adding water and browning the beef (This process was interrupted in the middle. I picked up DD from daycare, called Jie enroute. Very efficient, eh? :P ), I added a can of stewed tomatos. When the juicy mixture was boiling, added about 3 or 4 can full of water and 5 pearl onions (bought 10, but by the time I finished peeling the 5th, my eyes could not stand the stings. Besides, I hate onions, or garlic, or any such ingredient which leaves strong after taste.).

Mother-in-law recommended some barley. Recalling the thick mass of previous turkey neck soup hubby made, I stingyly added a little over 1/4 cup of barley to the soup. Then I recalled Jiaying (Randy's wife)'s advice of using whole pepper for soup cooking, so I crunched up a few pieces of whole black pepper, threw into the pot. Added a bay leave.

Now the pot is simmering on the stove. It looks promising. I bravely invited my good neighbor for dinner tonight.

The next steps would be to add vegis: carrots, celery, mushrooms, snow peas and frozen corns, and maybe some zucchini. The tricky part would be to control the sequence and timing of throwing them in. I still want to add some parsley at some point, I don't know.

Bought a loaf of freshly baked Italian bread to go with the soup.

---------

Chef, what do you think? Sounds like a western beef soup?

I think American chefs are scientists, while chinese housewifes are ...artist? :roller: .

Hubby likes to have soup every day.  I kind of run out of idea for cooking.  At the grocery story this morning, I was wondering what to cook for tonight, then I saw beef and thinking I haven't made western beef soup for years, why don't try that.  Then I called mother-in-law, quickly refreshed the memory of a beef stew "recipe".  Bought about 2 and half pound of beef soup chuck.

Slightly before noon, I started browning the beef.  First added vegi oil to a large pot/pan, threw in the rinsed beef pieces.  Then I thought it might brown better if I chop them up to smaller pieces.  Using my Chinese cleaver knife, I tried to piece them with one hand holding the meat.  Too hot!  Reluctantly, I pull out the cutting board (meaning I have to wash the board afterwards :roller: ).  Cutted ieces were thrown back to the pot to brown.  Then I recalled chef's clam soup recipe, thinking a little bacon might add good flavor (secret ingredient. Won't tell hubby  :P ).  So I pulled the already washed cutting board and chopped a couple slices of bacon, lean part).  Washed the cutting board again :roller: .

After a few cycles of adding water and browning the beef (This process was interrupted in the middle.  I picked up DD from daycare,  called Jie enroute.  Very efficient, eh? :P ), I added a can of stewed tomatos.  When the juicy mixture was boiling, added about 3 or 4 can full of water and 5 pearl onions (bought 10, but by the time I finished peeling the 5th, my eyes could not stand the stings.  Besides, I hate onions, or garlic, or any such ingredient which leaves strong after taste.). 

Mother-in-law recommended some barley.  Recalling the thick mass of previous turkey neck soup hubby made, I stingyly added a little over 1/4 cup of barley to the soup.  Then I recalled Jiaying (Randy's wife)'s advice of using whole pepper for soup cooking, so I crunched up a few pieces of whole black pepper, threw into the pot.  Added a bay leave.

Now the pot is simmering on the stove.  It looks promising.  I bravely invited my good neighbor for dinner tonight.

The next steps would be to add vegis: carrots, celery, mushrooms, snow peas and frozen corns, and maybe some zucchini.  The tricky part would be to control the sequence and timing of throwing them in.  I still want to add some parsley at some point, I don't know.

---------

Chef, what do you think?  Sounds like a western beef soup?

I think American chefs are scientists, while chinese housewifes are ...artist? :roller: .

204267[/snapback]

That sounds VERY good Joanne!

Do you have an electric crock-pot cooker? You can make a beef stew like this without watching it all day. Just brown the beef, then add the ingredients and let it sit while you shop or run other errands.

-James

Hubby likes to have soup every day.  I kind of run out of idea for cooking.  At the grocery story this morning, I was wondering what to cook for tonight, then I saw beef and thinking I haven't made western beef soup for years, why don't try that.  Then I called mother-in-law, quickly refreshed the memory of a beef stew "recipe".  Bought about 2 and half pound of beef soup chuck.

Slightly before noon, I started browning the beef.  First added vegi oil to a large pot/pan, threw in the rinsed beef pieces.  Then I thought it might brown better if I chop them up to smaller pieces.  Using my Chinese cleaver knife, I tried to piece them with one hand holding the meat.  Too hot!  Reluctantly, I pull out the cutting board (meaning I have to wash the board afterwards :roller: ).  Cutted ieces were thrown back to the pot to brown.  Then I recalled chef's clam soup recipe, thinking a little bacon might add good flavor (secret ingredient. Won't tell hubby  :P ).  So I pulled the already washed cutting board and chopped a couple slices of bacon, lean part).  Washed the cutting board again :roller: .

After a few cycles of adding water and browning the beef (This process was interrupted in the middle.  I picked up DD from daycare,  called Jie enroute.  Very efficient, eh? :P ), I added a can of stewed tomatos.  When the juicy mixture was boiling, added about 3 or 4 can full of water and 5 pearl onions (bought 10, but by the time I finished peeling the 5th, my eyes could not stand the stings.  Besides, I hate onions, or garlic, or any such ingredient which leaves strong after taste.). 

Mother-in-law recommended some barley.  Recalling the thick mass of previous turkey neck soup hubby made, I stingyly added a little over 1/4 cup of barley to the soup.  Then I recalled Jiaying (Randy's wife)'s advice of using whole pepper for soup cooking, so I crunched up a few pieces of whole black pepper, threw into the pot.  Added a bay leave.

Now the pot is simmering on the stove.  It looks promising.  I bravely invited my good neighbor for dinner tonight.

The next steps would be to add vegis: carrots, celery, mushrooms, snow peas and frozen corns, and maybe some zucchini.  The tricky part would be to control the sequence and timing of throwing them in.  I still want to add some parsley at some point, I don't know.

---------

Chef, what do you think?  Sounds like a western beef soup?

204267[/snapback]

That sounds VERY good Joanne!

Do you have an electric crock-pot cooker? You can make a beef stew like this without watching it all day. Just brown the beef, then add the ingredients and let it sit while you shop or run other errands.

-James

204273[/snapback]

I do have it, but it is a bit too small. I tend to make large batches of food to last a couple three meals.

My SO Lihua made this last night and it turned out to be wonderful.

General Tso's Chicken

Ingredients:

1/2 cup cornstarch

3 pounds chicken*

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup dark soy sauce

1 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger

1 teaspoon white pepper

1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

1 egg

1/2 cup dark soy sauce

1 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup white vinegar

1 cup salad oil

1/4 cup cooking sherry

2 cups sliced green onions

1 1/2 cup hot chicken broth

16 small hot dried peppers

1 tablespoon MSG -- (optional)

3/4 cup refined sugar

Directions:

*Dark deboned in chunks

Divided recipe portions (above) to make it easier to pre-prepare. To make Sauce, mix cornstarch and water together. Add garlic , ginger, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and wine. Then add broth and MSG and stir until sugar dissolves. Refrigerate until needed. In separate bowl mix chicken, soy sauce and pepper. Stir in egg. Add cornstarch until chicken is coated evenly. Add oil to help separate chicken pieces. Divide chicken in small quantities and deep-fry @ 350 until crispy and light brown. (Do not overcook; watch temp, stir fry or meat will toughen). Drain on paper towels. Place a small amount of oil in wok and heat until just hot. Add onions and peppers and stir-fry briefly (peppers will give off acrid smoke..be careful). Stir sauce; add to wok. Add chicken and cook just 'until sauce thickens.

Add water or water/cornstarch if needed.

Serve with white steamed rice

• 2 weeks later...

Recipe for Chicken Arrabbita.

6 quarts water

2 teaspoons salt

1 pound uncooked Penne pasta

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1 1/2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) onion wedges

3 bay leaves

1 lb. boneless chicken breast cut into 1/2-inch pieces

1/2 cup pepperoncini peppers, drained, seeded, and thinly sliced

1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained and chopped

1 cup (4 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Bring 6 quarts water and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil in a large stockpot. Stir in Penne pasta; partially cover, and return to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook 6 minutes or until pasta is almost al dente, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 cup cooking water.

While pasta cooks, heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, bay leaves, and chicken sauté 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add peppers, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in reserved 1 cup cooking water and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until sauce thickens. Discard bay leaves.

Add pasta to Dutch oven; cook 1 minute, stirring well to coat, or until pasta is al dente. Remove from heat; stir in cheese

-#10 can of cut green beans

-1/2 stick of butter or more, your choice.

-find the smokiest tasting bacon you can find and put in several cut up slices

-salt heavy

-a lil pepper

- very little chopped onions or dried onion sprinkles

-cook slow with lid on 1/2 a day or more where it is barely cooking. Keep it stirred. Cook til the water is down and green looking.

-if in a hurry cooking at higher temp will work. But I lawys keep the lid on or with a little crack in this case.

Everyone at family parties love it and clean te pot.

• 1 month later...

Hoisin Grilled Sirloin

A grill pan makes quick work of the steak. Serve with snow peas and rice.

2 tablespoons hoisin sauce

1 tablespoon apricot preserves

1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice

1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 pound top sirloin

Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.

Combine first 4 ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Sprinkle salt over beef. Add beef to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Brush both sides of beef with hoisin mixture. Cut beef across the grain into thin slices

Guest ShaQuaNew

Working for My Green Card Grilled Cheese

Ingredients:

Sliced jalepenos in a jar

Sliced American or Swiss cheese

Tortillas

Butter

Salsa

1. Heat a round frying pan over medium heat, large enough to hold the tortilla.

2. Drop a little butter in the bottom of the pan, making sure the heat is not so hot as to burn the butter.

3. Lay the tortilla in the pan and heat one side for about 10-20 seconds and flip.

4. Spread out two or three slices of cheese on the tortilla.

5. Using a spoon, spread out several jalapenos (drained).

6. Using another spoon, spread about one or two tablespoons of salsa on top.

7. Fold in half, remove with spatula, and lay on a cutting board.

8. Cut into about four slices and serve.

Sorry, I am not a cook so I will do the best I can with this.

We bought a watermelon yesterday.

After consuming the refreshing meat of it, Jie told me not to discard the rinds.

Today, she removed the green outer skin, and then removed any remaining red from the inner rind. She salted it and let it sit like that for about 10 mins, then she rinsed it completely and cut the pieces into 3/4" cubes.

She added flower pepper, red pepper, and some green onion to the wok and sauted them together. When the smells became noticable, she added the watermelon cubes and cooked them until they had a soft crunch.

She said she would eat that 'all the time in China'

It was actually delicious, at first I thought it was homefried potatoes with onions.