Favorite Recipes

Guest ShaQuaNew
Joanne...are you looking for a New England Clam Chowder which is the white color one or Manhattan Clam Chowder, which is the red color one?

191671[/snapback]

Chef, how about canned clams for chowder? Any good?

Joanne....sorry I forgot to answer your question about where to get littleneck clams, (the best for any New England Chowder....in my opinion). Where you live, I believe you can find these fresh clams at the Reading Terminal located in Center City. In addition, you have all kinds of fresh seafood markets in your area. Good luck and Buon Appetitio!!!!

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)
Joanne...are you looking for a New England Clam Chowder which is the white color one or Manhattan Clam Chowder, which is the red color one?

191671[/snapback]

Chef, how about canned clams for chowder? Any good?

191675[/snapback]

Well Jesse...personally, I always push fresh and seasonal ingredients. However, if in a pinch......?????

Wow, Chef, your recipe almost took my breath out of me! :lol: Thank you so much.

I am a little confused. Questions are following:

- Do you boil the clams in two seperate portions. 16 clams first to get them off the shells and chopped, and 16 clams with shell left in the soup?

- What do you mean by "shucking" the clams?

- Why lots of ingredients comes in double proportion?

Thanks for clarifying them! :lol:

Does anyone have a simple but good clam chowder soup recipe??Where do you buy clams?

191667[/snapback]

Hi Joanne,

Manhattan or New England? (Red or White).

The canned baby clams are very good for chowder.

-James

191670[/snapback]

sorry James we musta been posted at the same time...lol

191672[/snapback]

Hubby likes both kind. I will first try out this New English style. If it comes out alright, I will venture into the other kind.

Wow, Chef, your recipe almost took my breath out of me! :lol: Thank you so much.

I am a little confused.  Questions are following:

- Do you boil the clams in two seperate portions.  16 clams first to get them off the shells and chopped, and 16 clams with shell left in the soup?

Thanks for clarifying them! :lol:

191681[/snapback]

Joanne, sorry for the confusion. The first part of the ingredients is the making of the Clam Broth or Clam Stock. The second half of the recipe is the actual making of the finish soup....I will go back and separate the two so it reads better.

Shucking is the term used to pry open clams or oyster shells to remove the actual muscle. I hate shucking clams and oysters ...so I ask the seafood person to do it for me.

So, when making the broth, I thought you may want to buy the clams already shucked. However, I would use the clams in the shell for the fianl soup preparation, as it would give a very nice eye appeal to you and your guest.

Wow, Chef, your recipe almost took my breath out of me! B) Thank you so much.

I am a little confused.  Questions are following:

- Do you boil the clams in two seperate portions.  16 clams first to get them off the shells and chopped, and 16 clams with shell left in the soup?

Thanks for clarifying them! :)

191681[/snapback]

Joanne, sorry for the confusion. The first part of the ingredients is the making of the Clam Broth or Clam Stock. The second half of the recipe is the actual making of the finish soup....I will go back and separate the two so it reads better.

Shucking is the term used to pry open clams or oyster shells to remove the actual muscle. I hate shucking clams and oysters ...so I ask the seafood person to do it for me.

So, when making the broth, I thought you may want to buy the clams already shucked. However, I would use the clams in the shell for the fianl soup preparation, as it would give a very nice eye appeal to you and your guest.

191685[/snapback]

If I follow your recipe, I don't need to get the clams shucked, right? I can just boil them whole, remove the muscles after the shells open. Am I understanding it correctly, Chef?

Wow, Chef, your recipe almost took my breath out of me! B) Thank you so much.

I am a little confused.?Questions are following:

- Do you boil the clams in two seperate portions.?16 clams first to get them off the shells and chopped, and 16 clams with shell left in the soup?

Thanks for clarifying them! :)

191681[/snapback]

191685[/snapback]

If I follow your recipe, I don't need to get the clams shucked, right? I can just boil them whole, remove the muscles after the shells open. Am I understanding it correctly, Chef?

191688[/snapback]

You got it!!! I hope the revision I edited to the recipe is a little clearer. Again, sorry for the confusion. Also, if you use the baby clams in the can, just add a little more clams.

When do I add vegetables, right after added onion, garlic, etc.?  Do I dust the veges in the pot (the pot on stove)?

191690[/snapback]

The vegetables are the garlic, onion, thyme and etc as called for during the finished soup instructions. So, after the onion, the garlic is soft you would add the flour directly in the pot and stir. You are making what is called a roux, (sounds like rue). A roux is a thickning agent. It is what thickens the cream in this soup. :)

Sounds good. I think I can make it now. I will do my trial with clams from the Reading Terminal market this weekend. If hubby likes it, I will probably switch to canned just for the convenience of it.

The recipe looks good. It was not confusing to begin with, it was me who was confused. B) Thanks a lot! :)

Sounds good.  I think I can make it now.  I will do my trial with clams from the Reading Terminal market this weekend.  If hubby likes it, I will probably switch to canned just for the convenience of it.

The recipe looks good.  It was not confusing to begin with, it was me who was confused. B) Thanks a lot! :)

191700[/snapback]

Great!! What time is dinner?....hehe. Buon Appetito!!!

Simpler Clam Chowder (canned clams allowed)

1 cup chopped celery

1 large brown onion, chopped

1/2 tablespoon celery seed

1 can (16 ozs) baby clams

2 cups whole milk

3 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small chunks

REAL butter

Wondra Flour (for the roux)

4 pieces bacon

cook the bacon until fat comes off, remove and pat with paper towels, reserve for later.

saute the celery and onion in the bacon fat ( add some butter if you don't have enough fat) until the onions are golden. Add the celery seed and saute 30 seconds to one minute more maximum. Pour in the can of clams including the broth. Add the potatoes and just enough water to cover the potatoes (if needed). Simmer covered until the potatoes start to become tender.

Take some of the Wondra flour (it is already sieved, great for cooking and saving time) and mix with softened butter in a bowl. Make little balls of this mix, no larger than 1/2 inch each. Make sure the butter completely permeates the flour, this will prevent the chowder from developing lumps.

add the whole milk and bring to a simmer. DO NOT boil. add in the flour/butter balls to thicken stirring CONSTANTLY.

when it is thick simmer for 10 minutes more (to insure the flour is cooked) and it is done! Crumble the bacon and sprinkle on the top of the bowls when served.

All of Richards spices will help (especially the bayleaf) but this can be made on short notice anyplace, and anytime of year.

I serve real sourdough toast and butter with this.

-James