Favorite Recipes

BROILED GROUPER, SALMON, SNAPPER, or other Flaky thing....

Preheat Oven to HOT (475 - 525 degrees) yes, the oven, not the broiler

Ingredients...

Fresh shallots

White pepper

Butter

Lemon juice

Paprika

Fresh parsley

1. Wash fish and cut into portions

2. Chop about two tablespoons of shallots extremly fine

3. Chop enough fresh parsley very fine so that you can add a light sprinkling to the top of the fish later -- don't use that dry stuff....

4. Slowly melt a stick of butter in a warm saucepan, if it's popping, it's too hot

5. Add the finely chopped shallots to the butter

6. Add lemon juice to taste to the melted butter in the saucepan. Make it nice and lemony, but not too much

7. Put a layer of aluminum foil on the bottom of your cooking / chafing dish

8. Place the fish, skin-side down on top of the aluminum foil

9. Pour the lemon butter / shallot mixture over the fish

10. Lightly sprinkle the fish with white pepper. Lightly, very lightly, but cover it too.

11. Lightly sprinkle the fish with paprika

12. Sprinkle the fish with your fresh chopped parsley

Put the whole schmear into the HOT oven and cook. It won't take long. Maybe ten minutes. Don't overcook. Test by poking the middle of the thickest part of the fish with your finger. Fish, and other meats tighten as they cook. As soon as it tightens up, it's done. I get done when I'm tight too.

Optional....

Cucumbers make a  great fish topping. Peel a whole cucumber and slice it length-wise down the middle. Hollow out the mushy seedy part in the middle and cut into slices. Saute this in your lemon butter mixture and add a little dill to it for color and taste. Top your fish with these tasty cucumbers after you cook the fish.

169043[/snapback]

Wow, wow wow!! Now we are cooking, no pun intended. This sounds great too!! You have a nice balance of sweetness and sour from the lemons. Two great flavor combinations!!! The use of these flavors on something as light and as healthy as fish....Hey you can not go wrong with this!! Especially with the added sliced cucumbers...ummm good!! :D

Guest ShaQuaNew

STARVING PERSON SOUFLE

inspired by JoAnne, who helped me remember my college days...

Ingredients....

Box of macaroni and cheese

Can of campbells cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup

Cook noodles, drain

Add soup from can to noodles, no water.

Add the powdered cheese if you are really, really, hungry

Grab the pot and a spoon, enjoy....

Don't laugh, this kept me alive for many weeks....

My special dish: 

"Re-engineered Ramen Noodles"

Inventor's notes: I developed this recipe while attending colleague in US.  As a Chinese student on a tight monetory and time budget, I found this dish inexpensive, quick to make, taste good and reasonably healthy.

Ingredients:

a packet of Ramen Noodles (use the least expensive type) leave out most enclosed spicy packets

one or two egg(s) (optional)

a slice of ham (optional)

leafy vegetables (optional quantity and variety, garden fresh spinach is my favorite)

other vegitables, such as, tomato, carrot.  Leftover toss salad (no dresssing) works great.

Process:

- pour some water to a small pot, over medium heat, bring water to boil.

- toss in noodles and non-leafy vegetables in a sequence that the toughest go in first (you need to experiment to get a feel on the timing).

- add a little spice from the enclosed packets, MSG watchers may replace it with a bit of salt and pepper, and sesame oil if you like.

- just before the soup is about to boil, crack in eggs and later add ham

- when eggs are about done, add leafy vegetables.

- turn off heat in two minutes.

- serve with super large bowl and eat when it's still hot.

:D

169031[/snapback]

This is wonderful!! So simple and very delicious, right? I first had ramen noodles in Japan. But, I believe they are from China and introduced to the Japanese. Now, in Japan they have many Ramen Noodle Shops. Also, I noticed a lot of these noodle restaurants in the US, especially, LA and NYC. Lucky people!! Joanne, please post more of your recipes. :D

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)

Grab the pot and a spoon, enjoy....

169050[/snapback]

:D :lol: This is exactly what I did! :lol: :lol:

I pounded on this and decided to give you the civilized version.

169052[/snapback]

OK how about college BBQ sauce.

1 can of Coke

approxiamtely 1/2 cup of Ketchup, (when I was in college I was to poor to buy measuring devices)

a dash or splash of worcestershire.

Heat all ingredients and pour over everything....even cheetos? :D :D

If you wish to impress someone as a Gourmet cook try this recipe. It is simple to make and impressive.

Rasberry Glazed Chicken

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

Cooking spray

1/2 cup chopped red onion

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon salt, divided

4 (6-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves

1/3 cup seedless raspberry preserves

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Combine thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sprinkle over chicken. Add chicken to skillet; sauté 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, preserves, vinegar, and pepper, stirring constantly until the preserves melt. Spoon raspberry sauce over chicken.

1 chicken breast half and 2 tablespoons sauce.

Just a quick note about East Meets West cooking.

For those who want to learn chinese cooking, check out

the "Pei Mei" cook books. Recipes are in Chinese and English

so you can work together with you SO. I picked up two at

a book store in Nanning last year. They are illistrated with color

photos also.

My wife had never seen turkey burger nor tuna in a can before yesterday... but she made up a burger which is simple and delicious...

Turkey Burger

Can of tuna fish (drained)

minced garlic

About 4 tablespoons of Soy Sauce (enough so it is a bit wet)

Thoroughly mix all ingredients...

heat pan with oil... high temperature and flipping frequently.

As a topping, she puts some Boc Choy lettuce in water and microwaves for about 4 minutes... put on top of burger.

the "Pei  Mei" cook books. Recipes are in Chinese and English

photos also.

169055[/snapback]

Pete, I will be going to Nanning in mid December. Do you remember the book store? I would love to get those books. Are they regionalized? Also, do they feature foods and recipes from the Guangxi Province? During my last visit, I picked up a cook book when I was in Guangzhou. The name of the book is, "Famous Dishes and Great Cooks", Volume 2. I could not find volume 1.

photos also.

169055[/snapback]

Pete, I will be going to Nanning in mid December. Do you remember the book store? I would love to get those books. Are they regionalized? Also, do they feature foods and recipes from the Guangxi Province? During my last visit, I picked up a cook book when I was in Guangzhou. The name of the book is, "Famous Dishes and Great Cooks", Volume 2. I could not find volume 1.

169057[/snapback]

Here U go, dont start a bidding war guys and gals :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pei-Meis-Chinese-Cook-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)

This is a great grilling recipe for any occasion. It beat the Hamburger and Hot dog routine.

Drunken Chicken

Chicken:

1 (12-ounce) can beer

1 cup hickory wood chips

2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt

2 teaspoons brown sugar

2 teaspoons sweet paprika

1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

1 (4-pound) whole chicken

Cooking spray

Open beer can; drink half. Carefully pierce top of beer can with "church-key" can opener several times; set aside. To prepare chicken, soak wood chips in water 1 hour. Combine salt, sugar, paprika, and pepper; set aside.

To prepare grill for indirect grilling, place a disposable aluminum foil pan in center of grill. Arrange charcoal around foil pan; heat to medium heat.

Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.

Rub 2 teaspoons spice mixture under loosened skin. Rub 2 teaspoons spice mixture in body cavity. Rub 2 teaspoons spice mixture over skin. Wrap chicken tightly in Saran Wrap and let it sit for 3-4 hours in fridge Slowly add remaining spice mixture to beer can (salt will make beer foam). Holding chicken upright with the body cavity facing down, insert beer can into cavity.

Drain wood chips. Place half of wood chips on hot coals. Coat grill rack with cooking spray. Place chicken on grill rack over drip pan. Spread legs out to form a tripod to support the chicken. Cover and grill 2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into meaty portion of thigh registers 180°. Add remaining wood chips after 1 hour and charcoal as needed.

Lift chicken slightly using tongs; place spatula under can. Carefully lift chicken and can; place on a cutting board. Let stand 5 minutes. Gently lift chicken using tongs or insulated rubber gloves; carefully twist can and remove from cavity. Discard skin and can

Edited by Thomas Promise (see edit history)

photos also.

169055[/snapback]

169057[/snapback]

The book store we went to is in the shopping area

close to the river walk. Walmart and Mcd's is there

also. Sorry I don't know the street names.

And yes, one of the books I have is chapered by

region.

photos also.

169055[/snapback]

169057[/snapback]

The book store we went to is in the shopping area

close to the river walk. Walmart and Mcd's is there

also. Sorry I don't know the street names.

And yes, one of the books I have is chapered by

region.

169065[/snapback]

Famous Dishes and Great Cooks volume 1,2 and 3

http://www.sinicave.com/cat_cooking.cfm

And sure enough Volume 1 is on Ebay too lol lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/Everyday-Dishes_W0QQit...1QQcmdZViewItem

And Volume 3 to give you the whole set :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/Health-Tonics_W0QQitem...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

EASY CRAB CAKES

Ingredients

About 1 cup immitation crabmeat, or real if you like

Seasoned bread crumbs

Shallots

Onion

Celery

Mayonaise

Salt

Pepper

Lemon juice

Worcestershire

1. Break or cut the crabmeat into pieces; about the size of a penci eraser, put in a bowl and set aside

2. Finely chop one small onion; about 1/4 cup

3. Finely chop a few shallots; about 2-4 tablespoons to taste

4. Wash celery, and cut the ends off. Take a small sharp knife and slice about three stalks into thin strips the length of the stalk. Slice these strips into small pieces.

Melt a few tablespoons butter in a saucepan and add the shallots, celery, onion, a little salt, pepper, lemon juice and saute just a little. Very little.....everything needs to have a crunch at this stage.

....there are no set amounts of seasoning. Add to taste, but make sure you add lemon enough so that you can taste it in the mixture.

5. Add the whole mix to the crabmeat you set aside earlier

6. Add about 1 Tblsp of worcestershire

7. Add about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of mayonaise

8. Sprinkle some of those pre-seasoned pre-made bread crumbs into the mix.

9. Add mayonaise and / or lemon juice to adjust mixture consistency. You want it dry enough to hold together, yet damp enough to make into a cake

10. Using your hands form each crabcake into a patty about the 3" diameter and 1/2" thick

Heat a very little bit of oil or clarified butter in a pan and get moderately hot. Lay in the crabcakes, flip, brown, and serve.