Favorite Recipes

Oh, Chef.  It is very likely I would start with James' recipe.  Is it a shame? :blink:

191723[/snapback]

Hi Joanne,

I think it's only a shame if you never try Richard's recipe! It sounds WONDERFUL, but will be much more work for a working mother!

My ex-wife (God rest her soul) helped me with this chowder once. She was NOT an experienced cook, since her mother was a GREAT cook!

Anyways, she asked me to learn this and I reverse-engineered this from a seafood restaurant in Long Beach CA. One night, I had to go to the store in the middle, so I showed her how stir in the thickener balls and told her to use a colander to work out any lumps if she didn't stir well enough.

When I returned, she was so proud! She said "Look, no lumps". I looked and stirred and said, "yes! where are the potatoes?" :P

She had stirred in the thickener THEN she noticed the chunks of potatoes and then put the WHOLE SOUP through the colander MANY times. Not much left of the celery either!

still tasted good though!

The Wondra flour is a GREAT way to make American gravies (called kettle gravies) too.

-James

Guest ShaQuaNew
Best New England Clam Chowder Recipe...

http://i1.tinypic.com/nycrwp.jpg

191866[/snapback]

This is considered to be garbage by hubby. :D

191872[/snapback]

Indeed, as well it should. Chef Richard's is far superior!!

One of my favorite recipe - avocado bagel

one avocado (or lefeover from previous use)

one bagel

Break bagel into two pieces, so it provides 4 broke ends to apply avocado on.

Cut avocado into two halves. Take the seed/core out.

Scope out desirable amount (A butter knife works great) and apply to bagel and Eat.

Repeat the process until the whole bagel is consumed.

Save the leftover avocado in refregirator.

In case of frozen bagel. Steam it over low heat for appro. 10 minutes.

----------

A great recipe. I just had it for lunch today. Mmmm, good!

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

one bagel

Cut avocado into two halves.  Take the seed/core out.

Scope out desirable amount (A butter knife works great) and apply to bagel and Eat.

In case of frozen bagel.  Steam it over low heat for appro. 10 minutes.

----------

A great recipe.  I just had it for lunch today.  Mmmm, good!

191878[/snapback]

Joanne if you enjoy Avocados you will love this recipe very much. Compliments chicken very well.

It is Hen Hao :D .

Avocado Salsa

1 cup finely chopped tomato

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1/2 cup chopped peeled avocado

2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

1 garlic clove, minced

1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced

Combine all ingredients in a bowl; lightly mash with a fork.

one bagel

----------

191878[/snapback]

Joanne if you enjoy Avocados you will love this recipe very much. Compliments chicken very well.

It is Hen Hao :ok: .

Avocado Salsa

1 cup finely chopped tomato

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1/2 cup chopped peeled avocado

2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

1 garlic clove, minced

1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced

Combine all ingredients in a bowl; lightly mash with a fork.

191884[/snapback]

Thank you, Thomas, but the problem is that I like neither garlic nor onion, not even after they are cooked. So I think the plain avocado gives me the puriest flavor. :)

one bagel

----------

191878[/snapback]

Hi again,

Do you replace the seed for storage of the left over avocado? Also, to prevent oxidation you can cover the leftover avocado TIGHTLY with a plastic film. Place the film firmly in contact with any leftover avocado to COMPLETELY exclude all air.

Have you ever cooked with Avocado oil? it is good for salads and other uses.

I have an enormous Avocado tree in my back yard and I just had it topped and trimmed. I told the tree service to save all the avocados. I gave away 9 large boxes (size that a ream of copier paper comes in) at my job.

I live fairly close to Carpinteria, Califorina which is the site of the Avocado festival with the "world's largest bowl of guacamole".

-James

Joanne,

Maybe you could try this as an Avocado Lemon Cream. It goes best with fish such as Halibut.

1 Hass Avocado

1Tbs. Fresh Lemon Juice

1/2 C Cream cheese

In a small bowl, peel and mash the Avocado until smooth. Stir in Lemon juice and soften cream cheese blend throughly.

Makes 4 servings.

Edited by Thomas Promise (see edit history)
Joanne,

Maybe you could try this as an Avocado Lemon Cream. It goes best with fish such as Halibut.

1        Hass Avocado

1Tbs.  Fresh Lemon Juice

1/2 C  Cream cheese

In a small bowl, peel and mash the Avocado until smooth. Stir in Lemon juice and soften cream cheese blend throughly.

Makes 4 servings.

192032[/snapback]

This recipe sounds good. I think lemon is there to keep the avocado from oxydation.

I meant to try it, remembered to buy lemon, but forgot about the main ingredient - avocado. :P

My first clam ... soup

I fixed the clam... soup tonight for dinner. I dare not to call it a clam chowder.

This past weekend was very cold. I didn't go to the reading terminal market. Couldn't find fresh thyme and clam from the local grocery store. With the canned baby clam, I decided to go with James' recipe.

When I was about to start cooking, I realized that I forgot to buy bacon. Well, hubby would think it's to fat anyway, I decided to substitute with ham, so chopped a little bit of ham. I first heated a little vegi oil in the pan, added ham bits, stir fried the ham. While cooking, chopped half an onion and two twigs of celery. After adding a little butter to the cooked ham, I dumped in the chopped onion and celery. Then I opened the frig to take out the potatos, nothing there. Now I was sweating, realized that the potatos I bought for this event were used for the chicken stew yesterday. :o What would I do? Should I go ahead add some tomatos to make it Manhattan style, I asked hubby, we are out of potatos? :D (I figured, "red" must have come from tomatos) Hubby replied half-heartedly: Manhattan style got potatos in it, too. No alternatives for tonight dinner, I just have to go ahead adding the clams to this thing.

(I turn the oven knob to 170F. The actual temperature might be around 250F. Wrapped half loaf of French sourdough bread with Aluminum foil and tossed into the oven.)

I stirred the vegis till onion turned golden (as instructed), then added canned clams, the juice and some water, then a pinch of celery seeds, a bay leave and a pinch of thyme. Shortly after it boiled, I mixed some wheat flour with some cold whole milk, then added this mixture to the pot and stirred. The soup quickly thickened, too thick, so I added some more milk to the pot and stirred some more. Still looked too thick, so I added a little more milk. Then I thought, since there was no potato, the soup might taste a bit plain, so I added a little frozen corns. After a couple of minutes, I tasted the soup. Mmmm, taste pretty good, no salt needed. I turned off the heat and call it done.

(By this time, the bread in the oven was also warm and ready)

Hubby tasted this soup, and exclaimed "It tastes good. It is clam chowder!" He ate a lot, more than he would of a real clam chowder. :)

I hope that Chef, after reading the above, would not be disgusted for I ruined the art of cuisine. :P

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

One of my favorite side dishes is crab stuffed avocado. Cut the avocado in half and take out the seed. in a bowl mix some finely chopped celery, mayonaise, fresh crab meat and a smidgeon of mustard. Stuff the avocado and sprinkle on a little chilli powder. mmmmmmmmmm