Terrorist threat warning GZ 11/13/2005

LeeFisher3

Warden Message

November 13, 2005

The United States Government has received credible information that a terrorist threat may exist against official U.S. Government facilities in Guangzhou. This threat also may exist for places where Americans are known to congregate or visit, including clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools or outdoor recreation events.

American citizens in south China are advised to be aware of their surroundings and remain alert to possible threats. Americans living or traveling in China are encouraged to register with the U.S. Consulate General in Guangzhou or their nearest Embassy or Consulate through the State Department's travel registration website, https://travelregistration.state.gov/. By registering, American citizens make it easier for the Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.

U.S. citizens planning to travel to China should consult the Department of State's country-specific Public Announcements, Travel Warnings, Consular Information Sheets http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1765.html, the Worldwide Caution Public Announcement http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_1161.html and other information, available at http://travel.state.gov/. Up-to-date information on security conditions can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 in the U.S. and for callers outside the U.S. and Canada a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444.

American Citizen Services

United States Consulate General Guangzhou

5/F Tianyu Garden (II Phase)

136-142 Lin He Zhong Lu

Tian He District, Guangzhou

Tel: (86-20) 8518-7605 Fax: (86-20) 3884-4410

Email: guangzhouacs@state.gov

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou

This message is unclassified based on the provisions of E.O. 12958.

I am glad our State Department is on the ball in issuing this warning. It probably has to do with President Bush's visit to China this week. I hope since this story is out in the public eye it will deter these people from acting on anything. Terrorist groups love surprises.

Also in China you will not find a bunch of sympathetic Political Correct Pacifists.

I agree with others on Bush is probably the reason for the statement.

I would be more concerned about the bird flu thing than the terrorist threat. There's already a problem in a province of China. It's not mutating to affect the people as of yet but all you need is some people to be sick and they will shut down travel in that area. For those people who are sick, it might not be bird flu. They'll just need time to quarantine those people to see what cause their illness. That's all you need to get stuck there or not be able to get to that section of the country.

The other thing to avoid is Hong Kong's WTO meeting for anyone who has to travel close to the meeting site. Some how those types of protest almost always spark some violence or vandalism. I'm not sure of the dates of that meeting or the conference site.

I agree with others on Bush is probably the reason for the statement.

I would be more concerned about the bird flu thing than the terrorist threat. There's already a problem in a province of China. It's not mutating to affect the people as of yet but all you need is some people to be sick and they will shut down travel in that area. For those people who are sick, it might not be bird flu. They'll just need time to quarantine those people to see what cause their illness. That's all you need to get stuck there or not be able to get to that section of the country.

The other thing to avoid is Hong Kong's WTO meeting for anyone who has to travel close to the meeting site. Some how those types of protest almost always spark some violence or vandalism. I'm not sure of the dates of that meeting or the conference site.

168387[/snapback]

Two provinces. Hunan and way out west in Xinjiang. Hunan is the next province north of GD. It was reported in Central Hunan, so figure it is maybe 200-300 miles away. Too close for comfort, given how many chickens I saw everywhere in GZ and around GD.

There are Muslims in China. In 2002, while I was in Wuxi, I had a few run-ins with Muslims. They had their little head caps on, and when they saw me they said "osama" several times out-loud. I did not appreciate the heckling very much, and I really wanted to smash on them...but anyway.....

I seriously doubt China would allow any known threat against US interests to evolve, even though China grudgingly accepts US presence in China, in no way would China allow any anti-anything (unless it is Jap bashing) to happen. You know, if one group in China ever acted out, they would all be swiftly dealt with.

Of course, this does not imply that all "terrorist" threats are muslim (PC), but we all know what it really means (non-PC)

Guest ShaQuaNew

Would love to see a middle-eastern wacko attempt to do something in China. China does not pussyfoot when it comes to dealing with those that harm its international image. I repeat myself from another thread....

China ain't no france.... :wacko:

edit...

It's interesting that when America issues a threat warning, many US citizens freak out by altering their plans and panic buying. Seems that the people of China take it all in stride.....

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
There are Muslims in China. In 2002, while I was in Wuxi, I had a  few run-ins with Muslims. They had their little head caps on, and when they saw me they said "osama" several times out-loud. I did not appreciate the heckling very much, and I really wanted to smash on them...but anyway.....

I seriously doubt China would allow any known threat against US interests to evolve, even though China grudgingly accepts US presence in China, in no way would China allow any anti-anything (unless it is Jap bashing) to happen. You know, if one group in China ever acted out, they would all be swiftly dealt with.

Of course, this does not imply that all "terrorist" threats are muslim (PC), but we all know what it really means (non-PC)

168565[/snapback]

The USA is China's biggest trading partner so although Chinna may Not "Love US" they like our money , our technology and some aspects of our free market system .

If Americans become subjects of a terriostist attack in China ,there will be very a very quick resopnse and crackdown on Relegious Groups .

I sure hope nothing Happens because I'm at the GUZ today trying to overcome -

Richard