Name Change – a personal experience

if wants to change the name and use husband's last name, do we need go to some specail office to apply for changing?  Since the name on the passport is Chinese name written in Pin Yin, even we get immigration visa ,  but the legal names for us are our Chinese on passports.  Can I use my first name in Chinese Pin Yin + my husband last name, is it legal?  Any opinion ?  Thank u all!

Changing last name only requires your marriage certificate. For SSN name change, you may want to submit a ceritfied copy. It does not hurt to get several certified copies from the court house when you get married for your immigration process and future name change references.

Since my name is almost a full name change, I only gave them a copy of the INS name change document they sent me.

To avoid confusion: it is advisable to put a comma next your last name and then first name, i.e. Yao, Min. It is difficult for Americans to figure out the what you last name is when you forget to write family name last.

Yes, it is legal - I was even tempted to use Xi-Klein as my married name then.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thank u Charlotte!!

charlotte thanks! you should consider writing a book! i'm sure you have heaps of great stories about the blending of cultures and languages.

do you see a problem legally keeping the chinese name, and "going by" a western name at the same time?

i don't like the idea of changing my wife's name, as i see it as somewhat disrespectful to her father (and her, and her culture).

could the name change also cause problems in the future with property she owns, bank accounts, education, and work history in china?

however, i have talked about her name with coworkers, and simply put - they can't pronounce it - or come close to remembering it. we all tend to remember things by association (how many johns, bills, lisas, or lindas can you list?), and there is just no association for americans when referring to a name that starts with "X".

so the thought was to leave all the legal documents with her chinese name. but introduce her under an english name. if she works the checks will go to her real name, but everyone around the office will use her english name.

would this cause a problem down the road?

for the record - i would actually feel it was disrespectful if a western woman chose not to take my name. but it's not a second thought with a chinese wife. go figure.

From my limited understanding, prior to the cultural revolution, the name change upon marriage was the same as it is here. It was customary for the wife to take the husband's family name. It has only been for the last 50 years that the women in China have been keeping their own name. Many professionals, including Mrs. Clinton, kept their family name. Sen. Clinton kept her family name up to the time that Mr. Clinton was running for President. It is purely a personal choice and best kept up to the person making the choice on whether or not to change their name. :o ;) :lol:

My fiancee is already thinking about a Western First name.  She said her Chinese name (Yan) is too common in China.  Finding a name for her will be fun. ;)

If you want to change your first name, I would still prefer to pick an English name that sounds close to the Chinese name -- not in my case --

To answer Rob's question: I picked the "C" in my English class, my professor gave me Charlotte. I did not know better then. Xi is my last name and now I keep it as my middle name.

Actually, we both like the name Kelly but her older sister didn't like that name. So we are still undecided.

Kelly, now that's a fine Irish name. I say go for it Tony. The older sister will come around. :o :lol:

My wife is currently intending to keep her Chinese name. The family name Wang is easy for Americans and honestly she doesn't look much like a kraut. Her first name is harder, Chunxia, but she intends to go by Rose. I see no problem with "going by" an American name while keeping the Chinese name. I have had a number of friends that went by a nickname so much that I didn't know for years that it was not their real name.

My wife is currently intending to keep her Chinese name.  The family name Wang is easy for Americans and honestly she doesn't look much like a kraut.  Her first name is harder, Chunxia, but she intends to go by Rose.  I see no problem with "going by" an American name while keeping the Chinese name.  I have had a number of friends that went by a nickname so much that I didn't know for years that it was not their real name.

A rose by any other name is still a rose. :o ;) :lol:

My wife is currently intending to keep her Chinese name.  The family name Wang is easy for Americans and honestly she doesn't look much like a kraut.  Her first name is harder, Chunxia, but she intends to go by Rose.  I see no problem with "going by" an American name while keeping the Chinese name.  I have had a number of friends that went by a nickname so much that I didn't know for years that it was not their real name.

I used Tony for 7 years (in elementary and high school) even though that wasn't my real name. I added it to my Chinese name when I became a US citizen at 18. ;)

do you see a problem legally keeping the chinese name, and "going by" a western name at the same time?

i don't like the idea of changing my wife's name, as i see it as somewhat disrespectful to her father (and her, and her culture).  

could the name change also cause problems in the future with property she owns, bank accounts, education, and work history in china?

however, i have talked about her name with coworkers, and simply put - they can't pronounce it - or come close to remembering it.  we all tend to remember things by association (how many johns, bills, lisas, or lindas can you list?), and there is just no association for americans when referring to a name that starts with "X".

so the thought was to leave all the legal documents with her chinese name.  but introduce her under an english name.  if she works the checks will go to her real name, but everyone around the office will use her english name.

would this cause a problem down the road?

for the record - i would actually feel it was disrespectful if a western woman chose not to take my name.  but it's not a second thought with a chinese wife.  go figure.

No, Jon, I don't see any problem with legal Chinese name and English nickname. In fact I went by Charlotte the first 7 years I was here until I became a US citizen. Since I don't like my Chinese name too much -- sounded like a boy-- and difficult to pronounce -- it is not too much of a debate for me. Some Chinese names are very nice to keep. I would rather say this should be a personal preference.

Name change does not affect anything in the future. All she needs is some document stating the name change. Keep her old passport if necessary. She can still conduct her China business with her Chinese Passport as long as it is valid. Once she has the US passport, she just has to save an extra piece of paper work all the time. Every now and then, I still need to send a copy of my name change to some agency, etc. So far, no complications.