Preparing to go!

The bank of China will also convert the Traveler's Checks

164310[/snapback]

I never have had a problem cashing Traveler's checks at Bank of China. I took $2000 worth or traveler's checks in $100 denominations last time. Always got an exchange rate similar to converting cash and there was no fee. I will do the same thing next time I go, but this time I may cash most of them and put the money in her account up front, since it is easier to get money out of her account than to do the traveler check transactions each time with filling out forms with passport copies and all.

Best of luck on your trip Alex!!!

Alex, if you have a Visa card, the major stores will honor it, and I always carry cash, exhanging at the Bank of China when necessary...

Keep your cool, and bring your lady home..

good luck

164308[/snapback]

164310[/snapback]

Hello,

Bank of China would NOT take my American Express Travelers checks, but my VISA card was just fine for a cash advance, with an expensive surcharge of course...

-James

Edited by jemmyell (see edit history)
Alex, was taking a little time today reading through the endless throngs of immigration law and found this memo. It contains information that is pertinent to your case regarding the assumptions of adjudicators and alleged fraud....

http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/handbook/RFE021605.pdf

164325[/snapback]

Jesse,

this is good stuff, I hope Alex has chance to review....

Bank of China often has a withdrawl limit on their ATM's, but there is a trick to this. If the limit is 2500 RMB and you need more ask it for 2500 and then without finalizing the transaction take another 2500.

I was able to get 10,000 RMB out of the machine in Fushun at one time this way. Seems like they only programmed the machine to count to 25. :P

Got hit with a $5 atm fee for each transaction, and the Bank of America conversion fee, but I got what I need.

164310[/snapback]

Hello,

Bank of China in Fushun would NOT take my American Express Travelers checks, but my VISA card was just fine for a cash advance, with an expensive surcharge of course...

-James

164370[/snapback]

James, I guess if there is only one BOC location in Fushun, you were kind of stuck... sounds like that 6% surcharge on your credit advance was too attractive for them to pass up. :mellow: I would have told my SO to ask to speak to the bank manager if a teller told us that. Don't give in next time... banks are obliged to cash traveler's checks... they are like cash. Threats of reporting them to AMEX might cause them to change their tune also if they persist... My SO would give them hell if they tried that with us... she's too tight with money to pay any surcharge!! :huh: In Nanning and Guangzhou, I have cashed AMEX traveler's checks at many different branches of BOC and never had the least bit of problem with it. You were had!

Alex, was taking a little time today reading through the endless throngs of immigration law and found this memo. It contains information that is pertinent to your case regarding the assumptions of adjudicators and alleged fraud....

http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/handbook/RFE021605.pdf

164325[/snapback]

Just remember that Alex is now back at GZ which is Department of State and not USCIS which is Department of Homeland Security.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Just remember that Alex is now back at GZ which is Department of State and not USCIS which is Department of Homeland Security.

164499[/snapback]

Agreed Frank...but, while DOS does not fall under the direct umbrella of the DHS, they indeed share much of the same mission. I'm rather convinced that the one that disallows the confusing government network to intimidate them will win this process. This current process attempts to deflect and delay petitioners during which 60% give up before completing the process. I believe that this attrition-rate is an active part of US immigration that you will not find written in public law.

Alex:

In NanNing, I found out that a specific branch of the Bank of China would handle traveler's checks while the others would not. Once we located this branch - it was a breeze to complete the transaction.

I also took a picture of my SO and me in front of the wall that had all the info at The Bank of China - INCLUDING THE DATE - to use in the future to prove that we were in China together...at different times of the year.

Good luck,

Phil

I will flying out to GZ on Tuesday. Last time I was there no one wanted to accept my American Express travel checks, and my credit cards didn't do me any good either. I'm going to carry alot of cash in a waistband pouch because I may need the extra $$$  to buy two tickets for my SO and daughter when they come back with me.I appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

P.S.......my SO has my updated income statement and tax return papers, along with my updated letter of employment. I can't imagine what GZ could come up with next.

164201[/snapback]

Alex,

Bank of China will cash Amer. Ex. Cheques. The post about Bank of China ATM's will work but only 2500 RMB per day.

I'm in GUZ now, leave me a message on this site if you need anything.

esun41 (Eric)

I will flying out to GZ on Tuesday. Last time I was there no one wanted to accept my American Express travel checks, and my credit cards didn't do me any good either. I'm going to carry alot of cash in a waistband pouch because I may need the extra $$$  to buy two tickets for my SO and daughter when they come back with me.I appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

P.S.......my SO has my updated income statement and tax return papers, along with my updated letter of employment. I can't imagine what GZ could come up with next.

164201[/snapback]

Alex,

You only need to bring your ATM card. Bringing cash is too risky. Banks such as Bank of China (zhong guo yin hang) and Citibank will accept foreign debt cards and dispense chinese currency. These banks are all over China. I've done it hundreds of times. Good luck.